XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

blank key purchase, 2000xj8-long

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool blank key purchase, 2000xj8-long

At this point I have purchased a spare fob and just need to program it. Now I am looking at getting a spare key In doing the research on this forum it seems as though I need to get a blank key, have it cut and than have the key programed to the car.

I believe I have identified a local locksmith who specializes in car keys and is capable of programming it. However, the first step is purchasing a blank key that is appropriate for the year and make of my car. Of course this means it must have the chip. It looks kike you can pick up the blank for about 15 bucks....I am assuming kibbe or kibbe compatible.

As I look at the internet there are a number of outfits that will sell you a blank key.What I would like to know is if any members have bought a key- from whom and did it work.

I also know the next step is having the key cut and there are providers out there that can do this (probably the locksmith I have identified as well) . One outfit says if you send them a picture of your key they can cut it. Anyone use this service?

I am proceeding cautiously and am a little paranoid about it as I only have one key and don't want it damaged in the process of getting a dup....any suggestions?

Old 11-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

duplicate..sorry

Last edited by Zorasmiles; 11-30-2013 at 07:36 AM. Reason: duplicate
The following users liked this post:
jagjunky (11-29-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 09:45 PM

Also you can do the programming of the FOB yourself.

1. Open the car door and sit down in the drivers' seat, leaving the car door open.
2. Pull the high beam towards you and hold it in this position.
3. Insert key and turn it to position 1 without going any further or you're in the starting position.
4. Flash high beams 4 to 5 times (4 worked for me). Not fast but at an easy rhythm. You should hear a chirp or near the gear shift you will see a red flash--it is now in the programming mode.
5. Push lock button on one remote and then the same lock button on each of the other remotes you are programming button on other remotes until complete.

Remember if you already have a key FOB programmed you will have to reprogram all remotes at this time.

Information posted has been in many places on the web and MOST of them are from the awesome members here on the forum.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:18 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Jag dealer will cut a spare key for $150. Worth it. DO NOT get a valet key. Most locksmiths won't touch a jag key. My local Jag dealer cut a key for me and it works fine.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:03 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New Key

For my 2001 XJR purchased one on E Bay $13.99 ,\LOval Jag dealer cut key but wanted $150,00 to program
Went to a well established Locksmith in Dallas {Aarons} paid $40.00 to get it programmed and paired to car.
The service man advised me if I told him the make / model of car he could have ordered the blank.
IMHO it might prove beneficial o go the "locksmith" route.
regarding FOB purchased one with all numbers matching from E Bay .
Never could get it to work . No signal despite battery changes .
Contacted supplier{name on package} who because it was past 90 days said they had no record of purchase and go back to E Bay seller with problem.
Sent Fob back in original package to supplier with request to fix and return {offered postage} or keep it since it was of no use the way it was.
Will report back on original suppliers response.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:31 PM

zora.....your number 5, re programming fob is a bit confusing....i have my one fob which i use to open and close remotely and the one i just purchased. I BELIEVE YOU MEAN I JUST HAVE TO GO THRU THE PROCEDURE FOR THE NEWLY PURCHASED FOB....IS THAT CORRECT?...OR ARE YOU SAYING I HAVE TO RE-PROGRAM MY ORIGINAL EXISTING FOB AS WELL BY GOING THROUGH THE PROCEDURE ....AND HITTING THE LOCK BUTTON.APPRECIATE YOUR CLARIFYING.....

Graham....I am hoping i did not purchase my fob from the same e-bay vendor you did....can you tell me who you purchased from?

thanks again to all helping out on this

Old 11-30-2013, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by jagjunky
zora.....your number 5, re programming fob is a bit confusing....i have my one fob which i use to open and close remotely and the one i just purchased. I BELIEVE YOU MEAN I JUST HAVE TO GO THRU THE PROCEDURE FOR THE NEWLY PURCHASED FOB....IS THAT CORRECT?...OR ARE YOU SAYING I HAVE TO RE-PROGRAM MY ORIGINAL EXISTING FOB AS WELL BY GOING THROUGH THE PROCEDURE ....AND HITTING THE LOCK BUTTON.APPRECIATE YOUR CLARIFYING.....

Graham....I am hoping i did not purchase my fob from the same e-bay vendor you did....can you tell me who you purchased from?

thanks again to all helping out on this

If you already have 1 remote FOB programmed to your Jag, and you plan on adding a second FOB.....you have to program them both. If you only ad the new FOB, it will drop off the one you currently have programmed.

So, once you enter the programming mode (hear audible chirp or see visual red light near gear shift), click the lock button on remote FOB #1 and proceed to the next FOB #2 and click the lock button--this will program both FOBs. Also within the 5 seconds of entering the programming mode you need to hit the lock button on the first remote....makes sense?

Old 12-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default re key Fob

Will see how the supplier of the Fob handles my return of it.

If vendor handles the return well will report on the positive.

Amazing how much trouble getting a second key can be.

Gives rise to my original thought have manufacturers over complicated their cars.
Not like we are getting that much improved mileage

DO we need more sensors .

Whats next a "F*RT meter that lights up the dash with the decibel. odor and intensity reading puts the vehicle in "limp mode and automatically opens all windows!!!!

jagjunky (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 12:11 PM

zora....yes kind of makes sense......however, last sentence of second paragraph...."also within the five seconds...etc"

If you look at what you wrote you have me pressing the lock button for the second (newly purchased) right after I already have gone through process and pressed the lock button for the original. that is once the chirp is heard or red light comes on.

than you have me pressing the lock button again (within the 5 seconds mentioned) on my original/existing fob....what you call the first remote.

sounds like i am hitting that lock button for the original three times .....is that right?

Old 12-02-2013, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by jagjunky
zora....yes kind of makes sense......however, last sentence of second paragraph...."also within the five seconds...etc"

If you look at what you wrote you have me pressing the lock button for the second (newly purchased) right after I already have gone through process and pressed the lock button for the original. that is once the chirp is heard or red light comes on.

than you have me pressing the lock button again (within the 5 seconds mentioned) on my original/existing fob....what you call the first remote.

sounds like i am hitting that lock button for the original three times .....is that right?
Okay. I'm sorry it seems confusing.

When you program the new remote, you need to program your old remote as well.

If you fail to program your old remote, it will be dropped off from the system and you won't be able to use it. This will require you to go thru the programming sequence again--this time programming both remotes.

My comment about hitting the lock button within 5 seconds===I meant that once you enter the programming mode you must hit the lock button on one of the remotes within 5 seconds (this is what I was told, and I made sure to hit the first FOB within 5 seconds and each subsequent remote that I was programming).

I programmed 4 remotes using the above information 1-5 without an issue. There is also another programming method here on the forums that has been said to work if the above doesn't work for you.

If you need further clarification I can send you my cell number and you can call me and I'll walk you through the process.

As for the key cutting--dealerships' computer went down when I first arrived and they were going to turn me away until the next day. I used the knowledge I acquired to read the 8 tibbe key code. I only had one key cut, just in case I was wrong. They charged me $6 to cut the key. I went back home and tried the key and it worked like a charm(minus not starting the car as it wasn't programmed). The following day I returned and had 5 more keys cut(flip key project)--manager informed the person cutting the key not to charge me for the keys cut!! Hats off to Barrett Motors (JAG, Masseratti, Ferrari) San Antonio!! I returned home and tested each key with success.

While at the dealership I also asked if they could cut the 6 tibbe flip key blank. They could not because it would not extend far enough to start the cutting process.

The only thing left is for me to program the key and get this flip key project to work....So far 6 keys cut...4 FOBS programmed...and only the key programming remains.

I hope this clarifies your questions asked.

Also, the four FOBs I purchased were from extra-partss. They've been awesome to work with and in the process they've learned a few new things about JAG keys. All the FOBS they sent work without one hiccup.

bigcat777 (12-02-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts

I bought a Tibbe key from an outfit called triple C Motor Accessories. Triple-C Motor Accessories Unfortunately, the key needed to be programmed and I could not find anyone in Houston who could do this. I found someone about 1/2 hour away, but did not want to spend 2 hours for this. I came across a locksmith in Kansas City who not only programmed it for a reasonable price but sold me another key. The company was called Brandt Locksmiths in KC. I had an extra key and sent it to them priority mail (maybe FedEx would be more safe). If you only have one key, this won't be a good option unless you are willing not to drive the car for a week or 2 and are willing to take the risk of the key getting lost.

jagjunky (12-16-2013)