XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Cam lock tool - Center bolt POP! ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cam lock tool - Center bolt POP! ??

Finally () got my pulley lock/removal tool and am advancing on my chains, tensioners, and guides change-out (among the litany of other items). I say litany, but couldn't possibly be enjoying working on this car more than I am. This is all 100,000 mile "preventative maintenance" though. Ask me again if it breaks down....

Anyhow, last night I was putting the cam-lock tools on after rotating the crank to TDC. (All four cams right on the money BTW!). Started all three bolts by hand, and then started snugging down. The two outer ones were fine. On the LH bank center bolt, what I thought was the bolt snugging up (I kept lifting the socket to check) was it just getting difficult to tighten.

About the time I thought there may be a washer under the head of the bolt missing (none on the RH bank) I got a loud POP! Horrified, I lifted the socket off, thinking I had just snapped the bolt off. I then removed the bolt and it looked fine. I removed the RH bank center bolt for comparison. Same length, no cross-threading - nothing.

What could that POP have been? Should I be looking for something else broken? I felt under the center bolt location to discover the hole is closed / rounded off closed underneath, thus doesn't just go through. Could the hole have been filled with debris and the POP was just a pressure release?? Am I missing something?

FYI - I have not removed any of the chains, sprockets, or tensioners yet to do further investigation as I would like to know if I have a problem before I go any further.

Thoughts, gentlemen??

Old 01-09-2014, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

It is possible that the lock tool was hung up on the cam, on that lip right next to the flats.
Or perhPs the flats were not perfectly aligned, and the tool was trying to rotate the cam as you tightened it.
I only used my tool when the chains were already off, so maybe the chains and tensioners were fighting the tool a bit?

If the bolts look ok, and the tool goes back on easily, i'd say you are ok.

The following users liked this post:
xjay8 (01-10-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,347 Likes on 1,060 Posts

by the way it's not TDC it's 45 deg after. Jaguar call it 'service position'. Maybe do another full revolution on the crank bolt. Also a gentle rock on said bolt while nipping the bolts up can help alignment.

xjay8 (01-10-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 04:43 PM

avt - That is a possibility about the tool catching that lip - good one. The cams were perfectly aligned as I did the "ruler test" with no deflection angle at all, that's why the noise surprised me.

Sean - I noticed the TDC mistake after I posted. I get finicky with those little details, too.... I hand tightened the bolts to practically seated and always do this so I can feel any mis-alignment before it's too late. I cringe when someone takes a socket, or worse an impact wrench, and starts a bolt or nut.

It seems that center bolt hole is there just for the cam lock tool. I know the outer bolts go in to the valve cover bolt holes. I was just concerned I may have cracked an oil port or something like that, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I will do some more dis-assembly and check it out.

I appreciate the thoughts, as always. I'm only doing this job because of the knowledge contained in this fourm (first Jag). It was going off without a hitch so I was just waiting for something to happen! I might be acting overly cautious....

Old 01-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 536 Likes on 415 Posts

Cautious is the way to go, keep up the good work!

Old 01-09-2014, 08:30 PM
Received 7,904 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Did you clean the oil from the hole???
Did the bolt 'hydraulic lock' and pop a part of the head away????

I always blow the hole clean before I start a bolt.

About 20 years ago I saw a guy installing a cylinder head on a VW diesel. He DID NOT ensure that the cylinder head bolt holes were empty of oil or water.
He was torquing the bolts and I heard POP. He blew out the side of the block next to the bolt hole that had liquid still in the threaded hole!!!!!!!!!

Just a thought.

bob gauff

xjay8 (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Did you clean the oil from the hole???
Did the bolt 'hydraulic lock' and pop a part of the head away????

I always blow the hole clean before I start a bolt.

About 20 years ago I saw a guy installing a cylinder head on a VW diesel. He DID NOT ensure that the cylinder head bolt holes were empty of oil or water.
He was torquing the bolts and I heard POP. He blew out the side of the block next to the bolt hole that had liquid still in the threaded hole!!!!!!!!!

Just a thought.

bob gauff
There ya go again Bob....putting the frighteners on people ;o)=)

Old 01-10-2014, 06:56 PM
Default NEW questions....

Timing chains, guides, and tensioners project.....

Ok - everything is dis-assembled, and I'm ready to start putting everything back together. I have been searching and searching for these answers and have come up empty or get a vague answer. Some of these are to re-affirm what I believe to be correct. Some are because I have no idea... Forgive the simplistic ones....

1. The locktite for the timing chain guide bolts - is there a specific kind or brand or does regular blue locktite work?

2. There are numerous o-rings that require lubrication. Is this just coating them with oil, grease, or is there a specific kind of lubrication that Jaguars' require?

3. If the o-rings need grease, is there a specific kind, or is bearing grease sufficient?

4. When greasing the crankshaft seal - again, is bearing grease correct?

I just don't want to do all this to have it fail due to something as simple as these procedures.

Thanks for any replies!

bigcat777 (02-10-2014)