XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Coilovers / Adjustable Suspension Options? XKR Suspension Interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Coilovers / Adjustable Suspension Options? XKR Suspension Interchangeable?

After much searching, I have come to the conclusion that the only thing available for the XJR is a custom air suspension setup or lowering springs. I have been trying to find some coilovers / adjustable shocks/springs but have not been able to find anything. I have had other cars that had a separate shock and spring in the rear, with the MacPherson in front and all of it was adjustable. The rear spring had an adjustable perch and the strut had an adjustable body, just as a "true coilover". (My Infiniti had this) So I know it is possible to have an adjustable setup even though the Jag has separate springs and shocks.

Does anyone know of an adjustable setup, other than J-Complete? Those coilovers have been DISCONTINUED. Also, I don't want to do lowering springs because they only lower the car 1.2" and I am wanting something a little lower than that.

Is the suspension from XKR interchangeable in any way with the XJR? I know there are some coilovers available for the XKR.

The following users liked this post:
User 070620 (02-17-2016)
Old 07-04-2015, 07:12 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

What are you trying to accomplish?

One of the well known Jaguar engineering forte is it's suspension.

Its pretty easy to make a car handle well or make it a smooth and luxurious ride, being able to do both at the same time is what set Jaguar apart from many other cars.

If you are just interested in look ( the lower the better), just cut off some coils from the springs.

Otherwise you have to spend beaucoup box and go with a European tuner such as Arden

Old 07-04-2015, 07:23 PM

Absolutely not going to cut any coils off. I'm not into that ghetto fabulous way of doing things (ie: cutting coils, heating springs, etc.) I am wanting just what I said...an adjustable suspension where I can adjust the ride height and also have an adjustable damper. During my search, the only option was J-Complete coilovers, which are discontinued. Even companies like BC Racing make the coilovers for XKR, but not XJR. Which is why I asked if anyone had experiencing with interchanging any parts from another Jag...or possibly even Ford.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:14 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

I've never understood adjustable suspension. It's not like you're going to raise and lower the height every time you go out, so why not just work out your end goal, and get some springs custom made, and have the original shocks shortened?
Surely that would be easier?

FYI I'm STILL waiting on my Arden springs no fault of Arden or the ebay seller, just my contact in the States that's organising my shipping has had all sorts of delays

One day...

Old 07-05-2015, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by grandell
I've never understood adjustable suspension. It's not like you're going to raise and lower the height every time you go out, so why not just work out your end goal, and get some springs custom made, and have the original shocks shortened?
Surely that would be easier?

FYI I'm STILL waiting on my Arden springs no fault of Arden or the ebay seller, just my contact in the States that's organising my shipping has had all sorts of delays

One day...
I like the initial adjustability...what if the springs do not sit low enough for my liking? What if I have them made and they are TOO low? Having adjustability will enable me to dial in the desired height and then set the desired dampening on the struts.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:29 PM
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts

If you ever find them can you let me know? I don't worship stock and would love to find something like your describing. I'd really like to find a air spring bolt on. The roads I travel are paved only with empty promises....

It would be nice when you lower it to have them go stiffer, instead of the opposite.