XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

General Laundry List of Fixed Problems on my XJ Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking General Laundry List of Fixed Problems on my XJ Sport

First off, let me say that this forum has been a gargantuan help in troubleshooting specific problems. Usually Brutal has come to the rescue, but I have also learned a LOT from people providing feedback to the forum AFTER they have fixed their Jags.
So, here is my laundry list of problems that have been fixed in an attempt to help anyone in their quest to save cash and get their Jag back on the road......
- Just bought Jag, terribly rough idle. New gas, good to go.
- P1000, P171, P174. Leaking O-Ring on #5 inject, Air Intake hose (from Valve Cover) cracked, Air Intake "Reservoir" cracked, Air Inlet Pipe to Throttle body unsecured by Air Box. This was all sorts of fun to fix. The hardest of all to fix was the "reservoir". I did a permanent fix by Plastic Welding (kind of like using a soldering iron) the "reservoir" to the pipe.
- Misfire. Previous owner had incorrect gaps on Spark Plugs. It looks like everything should be 0.052" gap.
- Misfire, P0308, P0300. After I replaced the Spark Plugs, this occurred. Turns out the Springs inside the Plug Hole Coils were too compressed and only made contact with the Spark Plug when the Engine was warm. I took a pair of Hemostats to the Spring, stretched the Spring slightly and reassembled. Everything good to go.
- Radiator Leak. Stupid Plastic Inlet Housing, now I have the aluminum housing installed.
- Loooong beep when I put the car in reverse. Backup Sensor(s) was not "ticking". Found Sensor(s) that were not transmitting, replaced, good to go.
- Multiple small radiator hose "nipples" broken. Replaced entire hose the goes from Coolant reservoir to other locations
- Pesky P1000. Refer here....

Again, I hope this helps because I truly feel like a moocher on this forum.

Good luck to all!!!!

The following users liked this post:
Robert Page (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 740 Likes on 623 Posts
Default General Laundry List of Fixed Problems on my XJ Sport Reply to Thread

Thanks for the information.

""Radiator Leak. Stupid Plastic Inlet Housing, now I have the aluminum housing installed.""

Is this the coolant expansion tank/plastic head tank?

Thanks

Old 10-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Yep, previous owners never seem to attend to maintenance and problems, do they.

My car is also a Sport, albeit with the 3 litre V6 engine as fitted to the S-type. I haven't had any engine problems, (cue to touch wood here!!), but several other issues like premature wear on suspension bushes, and that hardy perennial, the air suspension compressor.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Sean, its good to hear you found alot of help in the vast knowledge base archived here. I'm sure you have discovered that with the use of your engine and transmission in other models like the 1997-2002 XK8-XKR, so some of your past and future needs may be found in the solutions provided there also.

PS, your thread is actually in the X350 area; it should have been placed in the X308 section instead. Had I my old moderator powers, I could magically teleport it to the proper area. Instead, I'll just hit the report button and ask nicely for my successor to shift it.