XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Hands free phone dash mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Default Hands free phone dash mount

Well folks, I drive a lot for my business and thought it best to pass this on since most places have severe penalties for driving with a phone in your hand (while talking or GPS use) and its good road safety. Those penalties can range from $250-2000 depending on the (US) state (North Carolina is $2000, New Jersey $600+, NY https://dmv.ny.gov/tickets/cell-phone-use-texting), here's the UK's.. https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phon...riving-the-law. I think the penalty is under wreckless/distracted driving. So its worth the $18 or so for such devices.

So since most of you probably have a headset to go with that phone. Why not spend the $18, or whatever price you find it, for a good dash mounted device vs taking that chance of the constable catching you. This is safer anyways because you have both hands free. This means no texting people, I almost got tagged last week by a truck who was texting coming to a red light.

My device I've become adorn to is the Steelie...
Amazon Amazon
...it is a magnetic cup that mounts with 3M tape to your phone and a ball bearing in a mount that has the same adhesive base. This tool has worked great for me the past 7 months in my work van and I just put another one in the Jag. This is far superior to the crappy plastic, in the vent ones, that fall out or block the air. Plus, the Steelie looks better and moves easily around so if you have the sun glaring on it, you can move it without it falling off. The one thing to pay attention to is the fact it states it not to be mounted on textured surface (dash top for example). I put mine just to the lower left of the center vent (US driver side). I recommend mounting it to your phone first, attach the bearing dash mount to it (don't remove the sticky cover) and find a flat mounting place the suits you visually, then remove the sticky cover and attach.
The magnet is quite strong, so it can pull your wood trim with it where I put it. I've learned to put my finger behind it and pull it off. It also works best on the more rigid phone covers. My new one is a softer cover, but it still works pretty well.

I encourage anyone who has a device to share, to post it forth so those looking for one has more options.

Last edited by Highhorse; 06-11-2018 at 05:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Highhorse:
avern1 (06-11-2018), King Charles (06-14-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

I use a cheap/$7 magnetic vent holder Jebsens CA03, comes with an adhesive disc for the phone's back, works great.

Last edited by King Charles; 06-11-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, those aren't bad either KC, is the mount magnetic or the connector on the phone? The Steelie is on the phone, which for me works when I have a schematic on my phone and need both hands and can stick it to an IT rack.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Yeah, those aren't bad either KC, is the mount magnetic or the connector on the phone? The Steelie is on the phone, which for me works when I have a schematic on my phone and need both hands and can stick it to an IT rack.
The magnet is the base which is on the vent you adhere a plate on the phone's back in my case I put on the inside of a thin case.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member

Just got a new center AC vent to install, I noticed the weight of my phone caused the vent blades to weaken & fall down. So I'm going w/ a generic "Steelie" type mount from E-Bay. Plus it won't block any airflow.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/360-Degree-...l/401458608330

Old 06-14-2018, 10:21 AM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

I use a Scosche version, where there's a thin metal plate on the phone side, and a rubberized magnet mount. I chose one that's an adhesive mounted style, instead of the vent, and mounted it in the same spot as the OP. Not quite as strong as to where it'll pull the trim off, but holds the phone securely under all conditions. The phone plate is thin enough that you could actually put it on the inside of the case between it and the phone and still be effective. The only downfall I have, is that the metal plate interferes with wireless charging at home, so I just pull the case off and set the phone on the charger. A cable makes it a non-issue though. Definitely a good location though, though I suppose for straight GPS use, it might be handier higher in line of sight with the road.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

I hate having crap in the way of the dash, all the options I saw either blocked off vents, blocked some controls, or were obscured by the steering wheel.

Proclip x308 low mount + cheap Amazon adjustable holder is bliss. Maybe get the custom proclip holder if there's one for your phone.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:55 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

I had thought about something like that, but it's a long shift in view to get down that far, and I do use my phone for navigation and audio a lot so I need it readily accessible without having to take my eyes off the road for any longer than needed. The nice part of where it's on the dash, is the only control that is blocked is the left center vent on/off, which can be reached just sliding your finger around the phone, or just pulling the phone off to change. It doesn't affect the vent direction changes since it's not a vent-mount in the fins, and it's really only about 25% on that one vent that's obstructed, so I haven't noticed any air flow.

That console mount though, does give me other ideas for other things too.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

That's why I got the Steelie, my vents aren't blocked, its in a viewable area where I can glance at it.