XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Issues/questions regarding EGR delete/block-off P0400

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 06:31 PM
Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Issues/questions regarding EGR delete/block-off P0400

I have had my EGR blocked off. It is still plugged in. However I get a "P0400 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow" fault code. Now this is on a 99 XJR. From what I gathered, I shouldn't get a fault code on this model year if it's blocked off but still plugged in.

I'm pretty sure I don't have a MAP/vacuum sensor as in later years. I only have two vacuum lines, one to the bypass valve and the other to the evap. There is no third hose and no map sensor. The connector (4 wires) where the map sensor would be on the firewall is capped off from the factory.

How does the ecu know that the EGR is not functioning? Is there a way to trick the ecu into thinking the EGR is working? Can the fault codes be disabled on the AJ26 ecu?

I no longer have the coolant lines connected to the EGR (nor to the throttle body). Could this be causing the fault code?

Old 06-24-2015, 04:01 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I checked the wiring diagrams.

Why is it that the NAS spec AJ26S has an EGR valve shown in the wiring diagrams, but the ROW spec does not?

Issues/questions regarding EGR delete/block-off  P0400-aj26s-nas-egr.gif

Issues/questions regarding EGR delete/block-off  P0400-aj26s-row-egr.gif

Anybody?

Old 06-24-2015, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

The ROW diagram has the notation "not used" at the same spot,
so likely ROW spec vehicles do not have EGR, or were not expected
to have EGR.

The ECU may infer that there is a problem with EGR flow by monitoring
mixture expecting that mixture will go lean/rich at least momentarily
shortly after operating the EGR valve via the stepper motor.

edit:

Maybe it's possible to reflash the ECU with a ROW image?

But be aware that the EVAP is also NAS specific.

Last edited by plums; 06-24-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

That's because the rest of the world knows that putting the exhaust back through the induction system is a really bad idea!

Apparently so does much of the US, judging by the amount of " how to delete EGR valve" videos on Utube.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Am puzzled as well, as the p0400 code is based on the intake vacuum measurements, and as you do not have the map sensor, it just doesn't make any sense. I know that the 2000my US cars do have a MAP sensor (ROW does not, only from 2001). Just out of interest, does you odbii reader give a reading for the map sensor?

Old 06-24-2015, 12:20 PM
Received 330 Likes on 185 Posts

Disabling EGR requires not only a plugging a valve. It also requires a complete reflash (and that's not a DTC related issue).
EGR is used not only for NOx reduction, but it also helps to low down a temp. in a combustion chamer. So, if an EGR is plugged there's a risk of detonation under cruising conditions in a high temps.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:07 PM

There's no map sensor showing. I'm using the Autoenginuity.

Originally Posted by MoscowLeaper
Disabling EGR requires not only a plugging a valve. It also requires a complete reflash (and that's not a DTC related issue).
EGR is used not only for NOx reduction, but it also helps to low down a temp. in a combustion chamer. So, if an EGR is plugged there's a risk of detonation under cruising conditions in a high temps.
So the cars without EGR from the factory are more at risk for detonation? It seems odd Jaguar would build cars with and without EGR for the same model. Under cruising conditions there isn't much boost and the compression is lower on supercharged cars so I don't see why there would by high temps.

The question still remains how the ecu is seeing a blocked EGR when there's no MAP sensor.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:56 PM
Received 330 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveM
There's no map sensor showing. I'm using the Autoenginuity.

So the cars without EGR from the factory are more at risk for detonation? It seems odd Jaguar would build cars with and without EGR for the same model. Under cruising conditions there isn't much boost and the compression is lower on supercharged cars so I don't see why there would by high temps.

The question still remains how the ecu is seeing a blocked EGR when there's no MAP sensor.
Cars w/o EGR uses different fuel/spark tables.
High temps may be caused by high ambient temp and a heat soak.
It monitors a EGR functionality by monitoring MAF and HO2S sensors.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question Why remove the EGR?

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but succinctly why would you want to "delete" EGR from an X308 (or in my case X300)?

Is there evidence of increased performance or fuel efficiency?

Old 06-24-2015, 10:01 PM
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Have your tried cleaning the valve/connector or swapping for a known Egr valve? Make sure the valve worked 100% before blocking off. Otherwise Moscowleaper is most likely correct.

Al_roethlisberger,
EGR is typically only active during part load or cruse conditions and de-activates during full load/full throttle conditions. Not only does it offer lower combustion temps and emissions as Moscowleaper mentioned but helps increases part load fuel economy (i have read 0-3 mpg in some cases) by allowing more timing advance. Too much EGR will impede flame propagation in the cylinder. In the V8 SC cars our cams have zero overlap (-5 degrees to be exact) so under all conditions our cars experience internal EGR from exhaust back pressure. There is alot more too how EGR works but that's another thread or google search!

Removing the valve would not lead to better performance or efficiency just a cleaner top end. if making a custom tune it could simplify things alot.

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

My 02 kept throwing the P0400 code, and the fix was to unblock the EGR valve. That is all.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but succinctly why would you want to "delete" EGR from an X308 (or in my case X300)?

Is there evidence of increased performance or fuel efficiency?

Keeping the EGR is not really an option due to my mods.

It is clean, but that wouldn't be an issue since the lower housing is removed and not attached to the intake elbow. I just have the valve itself plugged in.

It worked fine before I blocked it off. I did take it apart at first so perhaps it got damaged.