XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

OBDII Not working?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 06:18 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default OBDII Not working?

So, I've had this issue since about when I got the car.
The check engine light is on, so I took it to an AutoZone one day, and we had a really hard time getting the scanner to read the code, but once we finally did, it came back for a leak in the evap system or a loose/missing gas cap. That's the only code it threw.
And as it so happens, it isn't the factory gas cap, so it doesn't think it's there.
Well, not every time I go to plug in a scanner and reset the code, I can't. The scanner must not be getting power or something.
Has anyone else ever had this issue, and if so, what might be the most likely cause?
I am thinking maybe it's a bad contact somewhere but I would really like to have more than that before I start working on it.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Just hunt through JTIS / elec. guide for what goes where and follow the tests.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:57 AM

Do you have a link to where I can find that?

Old 07-05-2015, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Forum stickies, ebay, google

Old 07-05-2015, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

There are a number of readers that have been reported to have problems syncing with the Jaguar protocol.

Check here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...oved-**-33347/

What specific code did you originally have?

Is the inability to reset the code the only problem? Or are you having problems reading the codes?

Old 07-09-2015, 04:43 PM

I am not sure what the code was honestly, P1047 or something like that, the code was for EVAP SYSTEM LEAK
LOOSE OR MISSING GAS CAP
that's all I remember. I have tried a number of scanners, from the ones at AutoZone, O'Reilly's, and even the ones I have here at my dealership (Chevrolet). And to no avail.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:53 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

The Jag uses ISO 9141 (-2, IIRC) which is somewhat obscure, at least in the grand scheme of things. Lots of code readers have poor implementation which results in communication failures. My Autotap (PC-based) had a devil of a time reliably connecting and ready, but I replaced that with an Autel MD802 which has been flawless.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member

It was (maybe still is) the world's commonest protocol in cars.....

No excuse for readers that don't work, they're just junk.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:42 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Bcrary3
I am not sure what the code was honestly, P1047 or something like that, the code was for EVAP SYSTEM LEAK
LOOSE OR MISSING GAS CAP
that's all I remember. I have tried a number of scanners, from the ones at AutoZone, O'Reilly's, and even the ones I have here at my dealership (Chevrolet). And to no avail.
well something like that never helps when youre asking for help as p1047 is NOT a valid code in Topics. If the scanner doesnt light up check the fuse in the wiring diagram for the DLC. This is the most common fault. If it light up you have power and ground at the DLC and you have another fault. Be cautious of generic scanners. many times theyre correct on descriptions of fault, and when theyre not it will screw you hard. The common ones I know, if obscure I always look up and dont trust scanners unless its a Jaguar specific like genrad or SDD

Old 07-10-2015, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
well something like that never helps when youre asking for help as p1047 is NOT a valid code in Topics. If the scanner doesnt light up check the fuse in the wiring diagram for the DLC. This is the most common fault. If it light up you have power and ground at the DLC and you have another fault. Be cautious of generic scanners. many times theyre correct on descriptions of fault, and when theyre not it will screw you hard. The common ones I know, if obscure I always look up and dont trust scanners unless its a Jaguar specific like genrad or SDD
I'm sorry for not remembering the code off hand for 3 months, next time, I'll be sure to fax over whatever code I manage to pull...

Today I hooked up one of our code readers, it said "reading" when I plugged it in, however it did some really weird things... When it was plugged in (and when I unplugged it) all of the warning lights on the dash would flash, I had warnings for the following flashing on the odometer:
Restricted Performance
Gearbox Fault
Low Brake Fluid
ACS not available
Traction Control not available
Limp Home Mode

So, I turned the key to position 0, pulled the reader off the OBDII port, started the car, where the readout for the temp is on the center console would flash "ERR" and keep beeping (the same beeping that it makes when you turn on the temp readout). I actually had to put the car in gear, back into park, turn it off, and turn it back on to get all the lights to go off.... Is this something messed up with the port, or some other electrical issue?
Note: The reader would not even get power with the car running unless I wiggled it around and held it in a "sweet spot" but it would say "reading" and for about a minute and then come up with "error"... Is it the reader, the port, a combination of the two, or something else entirely?
I do not remember what make/model scanner I was using. I will find out come Monday.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:46 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

CAN network fault which is the communication pipeline between all the module. This would be my first thing to diagnose. I use a OBD2 pinout box which lets you test everything much faster , gound, power, resistance, voltages of the obd2 port and the can network. this lets you determine what and if you have problems with and then have to go from there. BUT like anything else that you dont know it can be rather daunting for the weak at heart with electrical issues. depends on your level of experience and knowledge. I paid $110 for it from OBD2 cable company, then later found the same thing on alibaba in China for $20