XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

P1000 code and new smog regulation in California

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 01:12 PM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
Default P1000 code and new smog regulation in California

California - the state that just keeps making it tougher on older car owners has done it again!

I went to get my car smogged yesterday, and the first thing the guy did is bring out a small hand held scanner to check for codes. Since I had no CEL showing and have not had any for several months, I thought I was good to go.

His scanner showed a P1000 code, and he told me that as of May 5, 2015 the State will allow NO codes at all for cars 2001 and newer, and that if he completed the smog check that my 2001 XJR would fail. My understanding is that you used to be able to pass with up to two minor codes present. No longer apparently.

So now I need to figure out what to do about the P1000. I know it is not erasable and will not go away with a hard reset. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:37 PM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by smtguy
California - the state that just keeps making it tougher on older car owners has done it again!

I went to get my car smogged yesterday, and the first thing the guy did is bring out a small hand held scanner to check for codes. Since I had no CEL showing and have not had any for several months, I thought I was good to go.

His scanner showed a P1000 code, and he told me that as of May 5, 2015 the State will allow NO codes at all for cars 2001 and newer, and that if he completed the smog check that my 2001 XJR would fail. My understanding is that you used to be able to pass with up to two minor codes present. No longer apparently.

So now I need to figure out what to do about the P1000. I know it is not erasable and will not go away with a hard reset. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

Thanks in advance.
Yeah, gotta love living in granola land. P1000 means that the ECM hasn't gone through a complete cycle (yet) and some tests are still pending. When they all test and report back no issues, the ECM will show a P1111 code which means that nothing is amiss.

You need to drive a few times to let the car cycle through all the tests. And hopefully set the 'completed' flag without throwing a CEL code.

The following 2 users liked this post by bdboyle:
motorcarman (05-17-2015), smtguy (05-18-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 09:20 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

You can only have 2 codes that have NO FAULT.

P1000 Readiness not completed.
P1111 Readiness tests completed.

If you erase P1111 you will get P1000.

You cannot have NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will always have one or the other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
smtguy (05-18-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 10:19 PM
Received 2,580 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Originally Posted by bdboyle
Yeah, gotta love living in granola land...
That is one I have not heard before. I guess it is okay to be a bit jealous when you live across the river from Trenton.

At last count, sixteen states, including Pennsylvania, have adopted CARB emissions standards.

+1 on driving the vehicle at least 50 miles to get the systems into ready mode.

smtguy (05-18-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 07:39 AM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by NBCat
That is one I have not heard before. I guess it is okay to be a bit jealous when you live across the river from Trenton.

At last count, sixteen states, including Pennsylvania, have adopted CARB emissions standards.

+1 on driving the vehicle at least 50 miles to get the systems into ready mode.
Nope. Not jealous at all. Lived in the East my whole life except for a 2 year sojourn to Kansas City; had a written offer 3 years ago to move to LA basin to work for SpaceX and chose to stay. Had a similar offer back in the 80s when I was pursuing a career in radio to move out join the studio crew for Michael Jackson (the chat show host on KABC, not the singer)...same thing.

While 16 states may have adopted the CARB standards (which one can argue whether they're based on good or junk science, they do exist, so they have to be dealt with), it's HOW they're interpreted and what part of the states' implementation of those standards that is the issue.

If the person running the OBD test computer didn't know the difference between a P1000 and P1111 (which can be inferred by his comment), then one can reasonably infer that he (or she) had no idea what they were talking about and was giving bad advice as to whether the car would ultimately pass the test.

But, if you are dealing with a binary condition as it seems the CA laws are written: you pass, you get to keep the car, you fail, off to the crusher it goes with no alternative nor suggestions as to how to get it to pass so you can keep your personal property...well, I don't know the answer to that.

smtguy (05-18-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 09:45 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by smtguy
Not that this directly solves your problem, but the smog test in California is identical to that used here in Ontario, called 'Drive Clean' locally.

We can p*iss and moan about the rules and regulations, but for the present, it's what we have to deal with. The OBDII system was never designed to be used as a pass/fail for smog purposes.

The technician was absolutely correct in his observation about the presence of the P1000 (and therefore lack of P1111). If a car here is presented in this condtion, it's an absolute fail, no exceptions. Reason for this is to thwart the ne'er-do-wells that know there's a genuine problem with the car's emission system and delete all the fault codes just before taking the car for a smog test.

As to why your car is showing a P1000 instead of P1111, possibly there was a momentary electrical glitch due to low battery that 'reset' everything. As others have said, just keep driving until all the self-tests have had a chance to complete and P1111 will set replacing the P1000. If you don't already have an code reader, buy one of the many recommended here and monitor the status yourself.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mikey:
NBCat (05-18-2015), smtguy (05-19-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

Having lived in Ca in the 70s while assigned to ships in both San Diego and Alameda and while working at Space Park in Redondo Beach in the 80s, I now visit the Bay Area every Spring to see my grandkids: I am amazed at how clean the air has become in Ca. Much nicer than Trenton. Thusly, I appreciate what the CARB has provided across the country, as well as California.

I think you need to revisit the inspection station and assure yourself that P1111 - unique to Jaguar - will pass. Or find another inspection station. But, in the meantime, you have to find and fix the failure to finish the tests which give the P1000 code.

Maybe a trip to your nearest dealer(?) Since I do not know where you live ("Southern California" is bigger than the whole Keystone State), maybe you live close enough to give NBCat a jingle in Newport Beach.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jhartz:
NBCat (05-18-2015), smtguy (05-19-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 12:54 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhartz
But, in the meantime, you have to find and fix the failure to finish the tests which give the P1000 code.
Having just P1000 and no other codes infers that there is nothing wrong with the car and the monitors just need time to complete their tests.

smtguy (05-19-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

hmm, a bit of a muddled tale so far.

P1000 simply says the OBD monitors have not yet all run OK (aka set aka complete). That may be due to a fault, but usually isn't. But it DOES mean something happened to cause the OBD monitors to be unset. Usually it's the owner or a shop who's used an OBD tool (perhaps wrongly or unwisely) to clear the codes. A serious side effect is to unset all monitors.

The P1000/P1111 are make-specific to Jaguar, Ford and some other (I think ex-Ford) makes. They are allowed by OBD but not required and many makes don't have those codes.

All makes must by law have these OBD monitors and all will unset them under various circumstances such as clearing codes.

So... a puzzle: why is P1000 there? Did someone clear codes and if so who/why? And what to do? Yes, drive and see if it goes away - which it will if all the monitors set (you can read their individual statuses using any half-way decent OBD tool if you wish).

If they all set then a Ford/Jag will set a pending (note: pending) P1111 which will NOT cause a test fail (because a pending code is OK). A pending code does not set the MIL.

One or more unset monitors may be allowed depending on local laws, the car's age, etc.

Now, if some varied driving doesn't set all the monitors you need to find which isn't set and then figure why. Come back if that occurs.

Last edited by JagV8; 05-18-2015 at 02:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JagV8:
Rivguy (12-21-2018), smtguy (05-19-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 08:15 PM
Received 2,580 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Originally Posted by bdboyle
...But, if you are dealing with a binary condition as it seems the CA laws are written: you pass, you get to keep the car, you fail, off to the crusher it goes with no alternative nor suggestions as to how to get it to pass so you can keep your personal property...well, I don't know the answer to that.
That is another one I have never heard. There are many older vehicles on the road in California that are either exempt from smog inspection due to their age, or have been repaired. The state, through the DMV and Bureau of Automotive Repair, offers assistance to those who do not have the ability to pay for expensive repairs.

From the DMV website: 'The Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) is administered by the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) and is designed to help improve California's air quality. A consumer may retire a qualified vehicle and receive $1000. Consumers meeting low income eligibility requirements may receive $1500. In addition, CAP provides qualified consumers who own a vehicle that cannot pass its biennial (every other year) Smog Check inspection up to $500 in financial assistance toward emissions-related repairs.'

I certainly hope this helps remove the misperceptions and clarifies the subject. I also hope Pennsylvania has such a programme in place for vehicles unable to pass whatever emissions inspections are required.

smtguy (05-19-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 09:33 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Interrupting the constant battery power supply to the ECM (disconnecting the battery or unplugging the ECM) will also cause a P1000.

bob gauff

smtguy (05-19-2015)
Old 11-29-2018, 09:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok so some of these posts say "you need to drive the car" Are there specific ways to drive it? The smog guy I went to said this: Start cold, let idol 10 min. Then drive it at a constant 50 to 60 mi per hr. Don't slow down or speed up dont break until you have driven 70 miles. Then stop and idol for 10 minutes. IS HE NUTS!!!! I dont live on a test track. Please tell me this isn't what you mean by drive the car? I have a friend that says they are looking for heat in the catalytic conv. So he says drive 10 to 15 minutes in a lower gear. Try to maintain 3000 RPMs. So which is correct or none. Help!

Old 11-30-2018, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Seems you have a x350, this is the x308 forum for cars of the 1998-2003 period.
However, the procedure is possibly the same.
If a car has no issues, it will set the P1111 if the various conditions (which are nothing out of the ordinary) are met.

There are lengthy threads on this matter, and cases where people drove hundreds of miles without obtaining the P1111.
However, I am pretty sure that in most cases a problem in one of the conditions was preventing the system from setting, not the variety they had to go through.

I disconnect my battery if I expect to have the car parked up longer than a week, so I frequently start with a P1000 situation.
It will set within ~25km / 15 miles without exceptions.
I know, cause my Torque Pro app lady will tell me on start-up that P1000 is found, then she will tell me the P1111 is found as soon as the system is set.

In my case, I drive slowly out of some small streets for 5 minutes, then get to the road out of town at ~30 mls/hr, increasing to stop and go @ 30-50 mls/hr for 20 minutes.
By that time, all but 2 have set for sure.

If I stay in that traffic, it will never complete.
However, I mostly reach the highway by then, and a short stint of 65-70 mls/hr will set the remaining 2 each and every time, within 5 minutes.

I hope this gives some practical reference.

By the way, there are some Jaguar instructions, advising the procedure.
They should be found in this forum, or by a google search.

Last edited by ericjansen; 11-30-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I have had to extend my emissions due date because of a P1000 code that I caused by forgetting to reconnect my MAF sensor when replacing the water pump.

Anyhow I have driven about 60 miles covering several trips and still have the P1000 code.

My Icarsofti930 does not show the P1000 code whereas my cheap general purpose ODBII reader does.

Also my AutoolX60 does not show the P1000 code just says no DTCs.

This is on a 2005 XJR

Old 11-30-2018, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

P1000 is a pending code (as is P1111) so it sounds like those tools don't just report pending codes - maybe a separate menu choice if you look?

Being pending codes they don't affect smog checks.

(Though P1000 means at least one OBD monitor is unset and that may be a smog fail, depending on the region and which is/are unset.)

Old 11-30-2018, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

In MD its a fail unfortunately.

I cannot see how you would find the one "unset"?

I am guessing its to do with the MAF since that is what I disconnected originally and made the mistake of starting the engine!

Old 11-30-2018, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

These smog regulations on regular cars are so ridiculous when there are a million dump trucks clogging up the freeways belching tons of black smoke non-stop every minute of the day.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member

+1 on that!

Old 11-30-2018, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by jackra_1
I cannot see how you would find the one "unset"?
Even my "cheap" Torque Pro indicates the process.
One after an other are being completed, if all are done, the P1111 kicks in.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

I will examine my Autool product again. My TorquePro does not give a listing like the one you show.

Quick Reply: P1000 code and new smog regulation in California