XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

ride height - making a US XJR the lowered height of a UK XJR

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default ride height - making a US XJR the lowered height of a UK XJR

what would I need to change on my US XJR to make it the lowered height of a UK XJR...I've read the UK version is a little lower...would I just need to change the springs or anything else ? any ideas anyone

Old 08-18-2011, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

15mm, is it worth it? ground spring ends?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
15mm, is it worth it? ground spring ends?
IMO it is worth it for the firmer ride. I remember these things at Whitley being firm and under control and now here, my car and others seemed wallowy- like a Buick. During a drift- it lurches and counter lurches like an old ship. Then I found out why- with different suspension components -European market vs US.
It's not difficult to see why: you only have to look at the forum posts where many Americans feel that even the stock XJR for the American market rides like a shopping trolley. I think many out here would prefer it if it rode like a Buick Roadmaster- but not me.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member

@ Count, how the heck do you drift yours?!

The US spec cars have, historically, had a softer ride....I think this is why the US cats equipped cars aren't as focused to drive.

I'd be able to offer UK spec' springs and shocks secondhand, but the shipping would make it possible only for the fully committed! I think it would require the anti role bars + bushes also.

There seem to be any number of R's sat with nik engines, or without their replacements, going into the more desirable XKR. This means the suspension is available.

I'd like to compare the US with the Euro cars. It's a shame to think US spec cars ride like Buicks....if the opinion is like you say, god know's what they'd think of mine, I've poly bushed it = planted.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
It's a shame to think US spec cars ride like Buicks....
They don't on an apples to apples basis. That is, the old generation RWD, 4000+ pound sedans.

Anyways, old North American RWD sedans are eminently driftable if you are used to their suspensions. Just rock them over to take up the slack first then proceed as normal

What is the UK overall height specification?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

Sean B it's not really controllable drifting like I was able to do with my E21 323i when I was in my late teens, but when I leave my property in the mornings and the road is clear I hold a low gear and 'over power the rear'. I'm never as brutal as I was when I used to do it to prototypes.
I just bought an old 1993 Buick Roadmaster for the wife- its hillarious. It has dynaride/air suspension.
I would have been interested in bits from the UK except for the shipping. Shame I'm not visiting back there for a while (not until I get my greencard) .

My friend Gavin (ex Jag- now at Ford USA) reckons that the X300 XJR (6 cyl) bushes for the manual car are stiffer than the later stock V8 R and are interchangeable. I didnt realise they were interchangeable. Do you know if they are?

Old 08-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member

Count, yes they are, and they're available, here's a link to the upper control arm bushes that seem to be very popular with the X300 XJR guys.
Jaguar XJ8 XJ6 XJR Front Wishbone Polyurethane Bushes | eBay
I've fitted the same to mine. I was going to use Poly anti role bar bushes, but was advised against it by the Jaguar Enthusiasts tech director, as Jag spec' a very hard rubber compound for these much stiffer than the poly, so went with stock.

The following users liked this post:
Count Iblis (08-28-2011)
Old 03-05-2017, 07:40 AM
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I am interested in my 2000 XJR (US) being more planted/controlled/firm in how it rides and handles. So far, I am happy with the results from replacing suspension bits front and rear, but am annoyed by the softness of the front and (especially) rear of the car when cornering or at higher speeds. For those who know, what specific suspension parts are different between the US and European XJRs? Front shocks, rear struts, front sway bar, rear sway bar, front springs, or rear springs? As an aside, my car is NOT equipped with CATs.

Thank you!