XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Sunroof problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Sunroof problem?

The following photo demonstrates the problem I am having with my sunroof headliner panel. There is a pivot mechanism that is actuated when the sunroof is in the tilt position. The passenger side detaches causing the interior panel to sag on one side.

I can reconnect the mechanism as shown in the following photo which fixes the problem, but the panel detaches again after several uses of the tilt feature. The sunroof also makes a pop noise when tilting...then the panel finally pops loose.

Have any of you had similar problems with your x308? Also, is there any periodic maintenance that should be done to the sunroof mechanism (greasing etc)?

Thanks,

Attached Thumbnails Sunroof problem?-imgp2847.jpg   Sunroof problem?-imgp2854.jpg  
Old 06-18-2013, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

Same exact problem. Can fix starboard side, but after first closure pops loose again.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've got the exact same problem. I've got so used to that thingy popping out that I can reseat it while I'm driving without even taking my eyes off the road.

Still makes me jump when I'm driving with sunroof closed and hear the THUMP as it pops out of position.

Here's another thread where people are suggesting solutions:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...sliders-52248/

The following users liked this post:
Azcat (06-19-2013)
Old 05-20-2014, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me!!!!!

Originally Posted by Azcat
The following photo demonstrates the problem I am having with my sunroof headliner panel. There is a pivot mechanism that is actuated when the sunroof is in the tilt position. The passenger side detaches causing the interior panel to sag on one side.

I can reconnect the mechanism as shown in the following photo which fixes the problem, but the panel detaches again after several uses of the tilt feature. The sunroof also makes a pop noise when tilting...then the panel finally pops loose.

Have any of you had similar problems with your x308? Also, is there any periodic maintenance that should be done to the sunroof mechanism (greasing etc)?

Thanks,

Hi I have a 2001 XJ8
I never use the sunroof. I also have that problem where the rear of the sunroof headliner drops. I have always noticed that, is it a problem? Also when I shut my car doors the sunroof will move slightly, is that just air pressure? As I said I never use the sunroof and it has always worked fine?

Kind Regards,
Mitch

mitchaustin@rocketmail.com

Old 05-20-2014, 08:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Nothing (yet!) to contribute except to say that mine does the exact same thing in the same place. I'm doing my headliner in the next couple of months and was planning on exploring things further once everything is out. I think it was Bob Gauff who uploaded the TSBs etc concerning the X308 sunroof mechanism. It's the same as on the X300. Do an archive search and you'll find more info.

Here's a link to a related post:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...sunroof-55344/

cheers!
Scott

Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 PM
Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

I have sealed my roof up. Got so sick of problems, use black sealant and closed her for good, well at least until I can redo the whole thing. Good luck to all.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:12 PM
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcat777
I have sealed my roof up. Got so sick of problems, use black sealant and closed her for good, well at least until I can redo the whole thing. Good luck to all.

I like your style!!

I must say, as nice as sunroofs/moonroofs can be, I wish here in the States, you could have opted without one. I prefer without, no headache from leaks, broken parts etc and its even a pain when waxing lol!

Chris

Old 05-21-2014, 01:58 PM

Thats cool, I too wish they had an option. I have notices (Since I have had the car) that when I shut the side doors, the sunroof will move? Is this just air pressure? I dont want to open it all up if it is normal?

Thanks

Old 05-22-2014, 01:35 PM
Default Please help me!!!!!

Originally Posted by Badbenz94
I like your style!!

I must say, as nice as sunroofs/moonroofs can be, I wish here in the States, you could have opted without one. I prefer without, no headache from leaks, broken parts etc and its even a pain when waxing lol!

Chris
Thats cool, I too wish they had an option. I have notices (Since I have had the car) that when I shut the side doors, the sunroof will move? Is this just air pressure? I dont want to open it all up if it is normal?

Thanks

Old 05-23-2014, 09:48 AM
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitch Austin

Thanks

I think it is normal....I think

Chris

Old 05-23-2014, 10:30 AM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Unfortunatelly I can't offer the solution to the OP for the sunroof problem. But I HATE sunroofs so much that I HAD TO post here!

I never understood the rage (back in the early eighties) when the sunroofs were put on all cars. Why? In the cold climate they are USELESS. In the hot climate they are DANGEROUS! What's the deal?

I lived in AZ/CA for many years (Northern transplant), and opening the sunroof WILL bake your scalp and hair, suck the sooth from the trucks in your car, and an occasional bee will come to visit too (also other critters, if you forget to close it when parked).

I wish cars would come without it! I'd pay more to have the option of not having it. I NEVER use mine, and all cars I own have it.

Did I mention I hate sunroofs?

Old 04-27-2017, 01:31 AM
Default SuperV8 sunroof problems

Hello guys,

I've got the same problem as the thread starter - the interior panel sags every time I use the tilt function. The other ussue is when I slide the sunroof. It goes normally backwards, but when i move it forwards to close it, the second interior panel does not move and stays inside the car roof(I pull it by hand).
In the picture should be the sunroof's scheme(numbered parts).
Can you tell me which ones(their numbers) do I need to have a look at and eventually buy new ones?

Any help appreciated
Many thanks in advance

Petar Nedyalkov

Old 04-27-2017, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Great use of the search function!

It is a common problem.
If you are lucky, it is just the arm disconnected from the clip.
This lets the inner panel drop, and disconnects the smaller panel, which will then disappears in the rear.

I propose you first try to recover the smaller panel, using a bent cloth hanger or something like that should work to pull it back, then check of the plastic knob connected to this panel is unbroken.

If you check the below link + pictures, and see it at your car, you will likely know what I mean.

Check back in with the results.

Link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-problem-9341/

The following users liked this post:
John Smith SuperV8 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 05:07 AM

I did some search, but haven't seen before the thread in the link you provided. Really sorry if I violated the rules. As I see you've found a very good solution to solve the problem. I'll try to figure out something simillar to fix my sunroof. If it is worse and can't be repaired probably will have to buy two tilt&slide mechanisms and then will be all good.

Many thanks one more time ericjansen

Old 04-27-2017, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

No, there are no rules to break, but a little search, as you did, is appreciated.

I hope yours is not cracked or broken, and u are able to fix it.
The parts are not available individually, and only come with the whole sliding mechanism.

Maybe someone is stocking up in case u should need them.

Last edited by ericjansen; 04-27-2017 at 05:30 AM.