XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XJR Exhaust System

Gentlemen,

I appreciate I have bigger fish to fry when it comes to fettling with the car, but I was under it today and was a bit confused.

I have a 2002 XJR-100 and noticed that, after the cats, we have a large centre silencer. Downstream of that, past the 1-2 split, are two rear silencers. Then there are the two back boxes.

Is this not overkill? One of my bigger complaints of the car is that the exhaust note is a little.. uninspiring, to use a journalists description. Quiet would be the layman's.

I have searched the Google (and therefore these forums) and seem to only come across sports exhaust threads et al.

Has anyone 'deleted' these silencers between the centre silencer and back boxes? Would I still fall under the rather strict decibel limits here in CH?

Any experiences/advice gratefully received. I'm not looking to set off all car alarms down my road, but it would be nice to know there's a V8 under the bonnet from time to time.

Sincerely,
- Richard

The following users liked this post:
vonbunn (05-12-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Received 318 Likes on 217 Posts

I have all the silencers there but the sound is real, aggressive V8 - not too loud to pass quite strict desibel limits. You have to make your own choice between reliable/too loud system.

Attached Thumbnails XJR Exhaust System-dsc_0573.jpg  

Last edited by XJR-99; 05-15-2013 at 10:27 PM.
vonbunn (05-12-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 193 Posts

I deleted my resonators and added a straight pipe from the middle muffler to the rear mufflers (see photo)

It is not much louder than stock, but a little deeper and healthier sounding. A noticeable difference but not that much more volume at idle or part throttle. At wide open throttle, however, there is no doubt people will know they are dealing with a healthy V8.

XJR-99s car will be louder than my set up because he has the high flow cats/downpipes, whereas I still have the stock cats which are quieter and approx 11 hp more restrictive.

I would say go ahead and remove the resonators. It will not be a very large change.

Attached Thumbnails XJR Exhaust System-rear-exhaust.jpg   XJR Exhaust System-rear-exhaust2.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by WaterDragon:
User 070620 (04-26-2016), vonbunn (05-12-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Received 318 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by WaterDragon
I deleted my resonators and added a straight pipe from the middle muffler to the rear mufflers (see photo)

It is not much louder than stock, but a little deeper and healthier sounding. A noticeable difference but not that much more volume at idle or part throttle. At wide open throttle, however, there is no doubt people will know they are dealing with a healthy V8.

XJR-99s car will be louder than my set up because he has the high flow cats/downpipes, whereas I still have the stock cats which are quieter and approx 11 hp more restrictive.

I would say go ahead and remove the resonators. It will not be a very large change.
That's why I always use hearing protectors when driving my car

vonbunn (05-12-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

Mine is not much louder at idle or part throttle than my XJ8.

vonbunn (05-12-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I put the Nameless Performance High Flow Cats on my XJR - the rest of the exhaust system is box stock. These cats do seems to free up some horsepower, and the increase in sound is what I would term healthy without being overbearing or annoying. The last thing I want my Jag sounding like is a '57 Chevy

vonbunn (05-12-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by smtguy
I put the Nameless Performance High Flow Cats on my XJR - the rest of the exhaust system is box stock. These cats do seems to free up some horsepower, and the increase in sound is what I would term healthy without being overbearing or annoying. The last thing I want my Jag sounding like is a '57 Chevy
When did you do the swap and what was the cost? Is an 11 HP increase about right by your butt dyno?

Old 05-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

I installed electric cut outs on my XJR. Best of both worlds, luxury car quiet or race car loud and anything in between.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ut-outs-71960/

"As I said in [another] post, the cut outs can be tuned and played like a musical instrument: open them a little and you get the sound of a cat back exhaust, open more and it gets louder and, yes, more obnoxious, but I don't run them that way unless I am trying to have some fun.

The problem with dedicated full length exhaust is that you get what you get, with droning at highway speeds sometimes a problem. I like the quiet when mine are closed and the infinite choices available as they open."

Attached Thumbnails XJR Exhaust System-10-motors.jpg  

Last edited by Vector; 05-12-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Sonny Christopher (11-21-2018)
Old 05-12-2013, 10:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just following this blog. I'm going to buy a XJ8 or XJR I hope very soon. I would rather have the more rumble or the more throaty sound myself. Could you give me the no name part your are referring to in your answer? I'm trying to learn which JAG would best suit my wants. I'm a 68 year old new member, and am just taken back by the coupe models. Not the convertibles though. Could you point me in the right direction, year, model, etc. of say spending less than $18,000 on a JAG? I once had a Lincoln in the mid 90s that cost an arm and leg to replace the so called air ride. I'm assuming these JAGs with the cheaper prices have the same system, as they were built by Ford after 1996. Do you know anything about the Arnell conversion from air suspension unites?
I'm thinking the cheaper XJs I see probably have a suspension problem, and that may be why the cheaper cost. Is that probable? How long do the factory air suspensions usually last?

I apologize for the winded questions?
Any help you can len would be appreciated,

Dann

Old 05-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default vonbunn, 1999 original mini sound

Could you tell me Nameless Performance High Flow Cats? I'm looking to buy a XJ coupe and would like all the info I can find,

Thanks,

Dann Bunn

Old 05-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJR-99
I have all the silencers there but the sound is real, aggressive V8 - not too loud to pass quite strict desibel limits. You have to make your own choice between reliable/too loud system.
Man that is one nice looking exhaust system!

Old 05-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by WaterDragon
When did you do the swap and what was the cost? Is an 11 HP increase about right by your butt dyno?
No dyno, but I noticed a definite improvement off the line and through the power range. I had to replace the CATS anyway, so I decided on the Nameless ones for both performance and price. The stock Jaguar OEM Cats were about $1700 per side - the Nameless ones were around $1000 as I recall. Here is their site: Nameless Performance Inc.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vector
I installed electric cut outs on my XJR. Best of both worlds, luxury car quiet or race car loud and anything in between.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ut-outs-71960/

"As I said in [another] post, the cut outs can be tuned and played like a musical instrument: open them a little and you get the sound of a cat back exhaust, open more and it gets louder and, yes, more obnoxious, but I don't run them that way unless I am trying to have some fun.

The problem with dedicated full length exhaust is that you get what you get, with droning at highway speeds sometimes a problem. I like the quiet when mine are closed and the infinite choices available as they open."
Excuse my ignorance but are those cut outs installed to the stock system? It seems like the perfect way to have your cake and eat it!

Edit - do you have any videos of what the car sounds like with the cut outs fully open and half open? Also could I get a link to where you purchased them from? Cheers

Last edited by giblet; 05-13-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts

Attached Thumbnails XJR Exhaust System-20130126_172007-1.jpg  
Old 05-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

I did the straight pipe at the first place, the sound was a bit too loud and raw and lack of power at low RPM and too much at high .

switched to x-pipe for now and sound is more refined and power gain (at least a little bit) is more balanced.

It was a DIY project at my buddy shop so welding and piping was not that clean-look. but what do you care since you cant see underneath and cost less then 50 bucks to do plus my own little labor.

I will add the Mina exhaust end pipe eventually

Old 05-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm sorry did I just read that right you said you had too "much" power??????? Ummmm no such thing

Old 05-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by giblet
Excuse my ignorance but are those cut outs installed to the stock system? It seems like the perfect way to have your cake and eat it!

Edit - do you have any videos of what the car sounds like with the cut outs fully open and half open? Also could I get a link to where you purchased them from? Cheers
Yes, installed to the stock system.

I got mine from DMH, excellent 4 year warranty, great product. Though I don't see the low profile ones that I got on their web site now, you could email Dave and ask him if they still make them.

Welcome to DMH Performance!

Sorry, no video, but they are infinately variable anyway, a video really wouldn't tell you what you want to know. They RUMBLE & ROAR!!
Vector

Last edited by Vector; 05-14-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BMC Nut
I'm sorry did I just read that right you said you had too "much" power??????? Ummmm no such thing
what I was trying to describe my experience with straight pipe was the at lower RMP, the car felt very powerless and slow acceleration.

but once the car hits 3500 RPM, a sudden boost of acceleration,

very imbalance of power

Old 10-09-2017, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this custom?

Old 10-10-2017, 04:29 AM
Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I did similar to vincent and swapped out the middle silencer with an x-pipe. I didn't notice much difference in sound but to be honest the car isn't driven that much.....

Quick Reply: XJR Exhaust System