XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1993 xj6 / xj40 brake and abs problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 xj6 / xj40 brake and abs problem

hello all

I have a 1993 xj6 inline 6

I have a problem with it. Whenever I step on the brake, I get a RED brake warring light and abs warring light coming on as soon as I let up on the brake they both go out.

I have already replaced the brake accumulator ball and attempted to bleed the brakes.

Dose anyone have any idea's?

Old 10-30-2014, 09:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

It strikes me that your "combined pressure switch" may also be failing. I'm having a similar condition on my '91, even after replacing the accumulator. However, replacing the accumulator took care of my ABS light. Anyway, it's a thought…

Cheers,
Scott

Old 10-31-2014, 06:43 PM

I just repalced my combined pressure switch.

Before I replaced it the brake light and abs light would only come on when I push the brakes

After replacing

The brake Warring light is on all the time. Then the abs light and brake lights come on when I push the brakes

Old 10-31-2014, 10:11 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by jagking93
I just repalced my combined pressure switch.

Before I replaced it the brake light and abs light would only come on when I push the brakes

After replacing

The brake Warring light is on all the time. Then the abs light and brake lights come on when I push the brakes

Hi jagking93,

I'm sorry you're still having issues. Forgive my random questions, but my brain is tired and I'm trying to think of everything we should rule out:

Is the electric pump motor running to charge up the accumulator? You can test the motor by applying 12V directly to its terminals.

Another possibility is a short in the wiring harness.

Are your brake lights on the rear of the car working?

Have you studied the electrical schematic to see how the various components are connected? That might give you a clue to issues that could cause your symptoms.

Don

Old 11-09-2014, 07:28 PM

yes the electric pump motor is running and I do have brake lights

I could not find an electrical diagram. I wonder if the abs computer in the back is bad.

I was trying to pull abs codes but I am unable to find the check connector to conduct the blink test.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

There's some info in our download section here http://www.mediafire.com/?hx8bttsy4kxxr there's a Haynes manual which should have some electrical info in it.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:00 PM

Hi jagking93,

There are some known problems with the ABS module, but I don't know if they result in your symptoms. Might be worth searching the forum here an at the Jag-Lovers XJ40 forum also. I believe corrosion on the connector pins is one problem.

I guess one question I can think of is this: was the combined pressure switch you installed new or used, and if it was used, is it possible it is not functioning properly?

If you will send me a private message with your email address I will send you the '93/'94 Electrical Schematics in pdf form. The Haynes manual Cambo mentions is also something you should have in your arsenal.

Cheers,

Don

Old 11-10-2014, 11:48 AM

the combo switch was a used unit from another jaguar however I had tested it before removal and it worked great with no problems. I wanted to buy a new combo pressure switch but I couldn't find a reasonably priced new one the only one new one I found was a thousand dollars.

I will pm you my email address.

I guess a good questions is what cause low pressure in braking system pressure. I wish there was a gauge with actual pressure's and a chart to see if I'm getting low pressure. The combo switch is nothing more then a hydrological switch

Can someone send me a picture of the abs check connector in the trunk next to the trunk so I can try and pull abs codes.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:44 PM
Default 1991 VDP Brake Light issue

I too have a brake light problem, however I have only 55k miles and when the system gets warm the problem ceases to exist. Since the car has original fluid and I believe has some fluid quality issues. I am going to flush and reinstall new DOT4 brake fluid. I think the system gets "gummy" with grud. Will advise.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by CoolRide
I too have a brake light problem, however I have only 55k miles and when the system gets warm the problem ceases to exist. Since the car has original fluid and I believe has some fluid quality issues. I am going to flush and reinstall new DOT4 brake fluid. I think the system gets "gummy" with grud. Will advise.

Hi CoolRide,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! We'll look forward to your report on the brake fluid flush.

We're a friendly group around here, so please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an an introduction so we can give you a proper welcome and learn something about you and your Jag.

Cheers!

Don

Old 11-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Brake pressure assistance not working

Originally Posted by jagking93

I guess a good questions is what cause low pressure in braking system pressure. I wish there was a gauge with actual pressure's and a chart to see if I'm getting low pressure. The combo switch is nothing more then a hydrological switch.
My conclusion (for my XJ40 Soverign 1993) is that the cause relies on the pressure connector (blue/gold part below the sphere of the Teves system) which fails to deliver the "earth" connection to the electric circuit which is supposed to start the pump when the pressure is too low.
No idea why it is failing (20 years old!)

Now, where is it possible to buy a new one at a reasonable price?
specialized parts dealers might be killing their market with such high prices , because car owners will stop repairing old ones!

Old 11-20-2014, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by CHELMI
My conclusion (for my XJ40 Soverign 1993) is that the cause relies on the pressure connector (blue/gold part below the sphere of the Teves system) which fails to deliver the "earth" connection to the electric circuit which is supposed to start the pump when the pressure is too low.

Hi CHELMI,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums and thanks for your great input!

We're a friendly group around here, so please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can give you a proper welcome and can learn something about you and your Jag.

Cheers!

Don