XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Brake Light when Press Pedal New Accumulator

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 07:09 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brake Light when Press Pedal New Accumulator

Hello
I just put a new brake accumulator on my cap, because I had a constant ABS light and a brake light when I press the pedal. With the new ball I get more applications of the pedal before the pump kicks on, but the brake light still illuminates every time and the ABS light is still on. The system is definitely working correct, functionally.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:22 PM

More relevant info: When i press VCM with the car off key in on, car off key in on, and brake pedal depressed, or car on and brake pedal pressed, the only message is get is "PAD" no FAIL message so thats good. I found an unplugged electrical connection both at the back right wheel and by the ABS pump, but with nothing obvious to connect either to. The outermost rubber sheathing on most brake wires has seen better days.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

"PAD" on the VCM means the pad sensor is exposed (car needs brake pads).

Have you had a look at the brake pads? If they seem nice and fat, maybe the sensor has failed/disconnected ...or that rogue broken wire may be somewhere in the mix?

The other disconnected wire at the abs pump is more than likely the reason you have the dash light illuminated, wouldn't you say?

Larry

Last edited by Lawrence; 02-28-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lawrence
The other disconnected wire at the abs pump is more than likely the reason you have the dash light illuminated, wouldn't you say?
Well I would agree yes. But I can't find anything else around that's disconnected, and would fit a roundish red two-pin connection

Old 02-28-2016, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Well first of all, what year/vin is your car?

Most of us put that info in the signature so it's easier to know what to suggest - these cars have multiple changes over the model years, even the plugs/connectors vary considerably, so ....

plus ...a picture or two might be a big help - a roundish red two-pin connection doesn't mean anything to me as my 94MY doesn't have any red plugs!

What are the colours of the wire(s) in the disconnected plug?

Larry

The following users liked this post:
jfleming (02-28-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 10:48 PM

Well first of all, what year/vin is your car?

Most of us put that info in the signature so it's easier to know what to suggest - these cars have multiple changes over the model years, even the plugs/connectors vary considerably, so ....

plus ...a picture or two might be a big help - a roundish red two-pin connection doesn't mean anything to me as my 94MY doesn't have any red plugs!

Larry
Thanks for the signature suggestion, Have updated mine. Being that mine is a 94 as well, I'm guessing I incorrectly recalled the plug's color. I'll get a photo of the offending connections in the morning! Thanks for your help.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:40 PM

I've attached a photo of the plug in question. Today I have bigger fish to fry. Apparently I have a parasitic drain somewhere that just developed. Car's been fine, charges up near 15 volts even. Today I turn the key and with a little click everything shuts off: clock odometer, everything. Have to get it jumped and then go about a drain test... I left the blower motor knob on, but my blower motors don't work... Who knows, but the issue at hand here is the plug I've attached.

Attached Thumbnails Brake Light when Press Pedal New Accumulator-photo-4-.jpg  
Old 02-29-2016, 07:38 PM

(Battery issue resolved, seems my negative connection got loose somehow)

Old 02-29-2016, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jfleming
I've attached a photo of the plug in question.
I just had a look on my car and that brown plug connects to it's female mate under the master cylinder in a clip on the fender well - the female end has a very short run (1" - 2") before the harness passes through a grommet into the wheel arch.

Have a good look with a flashlight at the fender area in between the coolant header tank and the master cylinder plug and you'll find the end you're missing.

Larry

Old 03-01-2016, 07:50 AM

I just had a look on my car and that brown plug connects to it's female mate under the master cylinder in a clip on the fender well - the female end has a very short run (1" - 2") before the harness passes through a grommet into the wheel arch.

Have a good look with a flashlight at the fender area in between the coolant header tank and the master cylinder plug and you'll find the end you're missing.

Larry
So I think whatever It's supposed to connect to inside the wheel well (the brake system I assume) is missing! I have no female attachment and a missing grommet. I looked at the back of the wheel though and couldn't find any empty sensor sockets or the like.

Attached Thumbnails Brake Light when Press Pedal New Accumulator-photo-1-4-.jpg   Brake Light when Press Pedal New Accumulator-photo-2-4-.jpg   Brake Light when Press Pedal New Accumulator-photo-3.jpg  
Old 03-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Wreckers yard next stop then eh?

You might want to download the XJ40 electrical guide .pdf and figure out what exactly you're missing.

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...ec%20Guide.pdf

Larry

Old 03-01-2016, 04:50 PM

You might want to download the XJ40 electrical guide .pdf and figure out what exactly you're missing.

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...ec%20Guide.pdf

Larry
THANK YOU! It's the Left Front Brake Pad wear sensor. If i just jumper that connection it should go out right?

Old 03-01-2016, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jfleming
THANK YOU! It's the Left Front Brake Pad wear sensor. If i just jumper that connection it should go out right?
One way to find out I guess ...

Old 03-01-2016, 11:22 PM

One way to find out I guess ...
I jumpered the brown connector and that stray at the rear right wheel. Brake light, farewell! The pad wear sensors are cheap enough I may put new ones on when next it needs pads (and rotors). ABS light still on though, gonna have to pull all the wheel speed sensors and give 'em a clean. Thanks so much for your help! This is my new primary car and I'm looking to keep it for several years, so I do really appreciate your fast responses, since I'm actively using it.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member

New pads usually come with new sensors, at least the last lot I fitted did.

cheers

Larry