XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

A/C - Climate Control Woes - Resolved

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C - Climate Control Woes - Resolved

Next on my list of mech. type fixes that needs to be done is the A/C. kinda a strange issue. When I turn the AC on, I can hear the blower running, but no air comes out of the vents! I figure this must be related in some way the the vent actuators, whether they are defective themselves or they aren't getting "signal" to open is the question. Iv'e read many a posts around the web that talk of defective climate control interfaces causing headaches, along with a handful of other problem children. Im sure there's been other threads on this, but I figure I'd start a new one anyways. fun stuff!

Last edited by steveinfrance; 09-24-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts
Default AC Climate Control

Hi,

See the attachment in regard to repairing the control unit. The part is JLM11240 and available from various vendors, don't overpay! This bulletin addresses the most common issue with the control units. Based on your description of the behavior of the unit, this is the "most likely" issue, though there could be other problems. I suggest ordering it since you're going to pull the unit anyway.

Hopefully someone else will contribute in regards to the other components of the AC system and common issues.

Good luck

Rob Evenson

Originally Posted by Fixer88
Next on my list of mech. type fixes that needs to be done is the A/C. kinda a strange issue. When I turn the AC on, I can hear the blower running, but no air comes out of the vents! I figure this must be related in some way the the vent actuators, whether they are defective themselves or they aren't getting "signal" to open is the question. Iv'e read many a posts around the web that talk of defective climate control interfaces causing headaches, along with a handful of other problem children. Im sure there's been other threads on this, but I figure I'd start a new one anyways. fun stuff!

Attached Files
Old 09-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Forgot to mention, there are sometimes issues with a relay that is located inside the blower housing(s), may want to search for that as well.

The following users liked this post:
Fixer88 (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rob Evenson
Forgot to mention, there are sometimes issues with a relay that is located inside the blower housing(s), may want to search for that as well.
that would be my first step. Voltage metering all relays and components that play a role in blowing cold air Ill check the control unit 1st. by the sounds of it, this is where the majority of problems seem to be coming from. then the relays

Old 09-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

I'd say you have a blower motor that doesn't work. There are two, one on each side and they each blow to the center and through the climate control system. When one fails, the other blower basically just blows across the car and out through the bad one. Consequently you get little or nothing out the vents.

If you can sit in the car and pick out where the blower is working, then the other side isn't.

Good luck!

Fixer88 (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by xjrguy
I'd say you have a blower motor that doesn't work. There are two, one on each side and they each blow to the center and through the climate control system. When one fails, the other blower basically just blows across the car and out through the bad one. Consequently you get little or nothing out the vents.

If you can sit in the car and pick out where the blower is working, then the other side isn't.

Good luck!
Great info! thanks XJRguy

Old 09-22-2012, 01:35 PM

Good luck!
Spot on XJRguy, Ive got a dud LH Blower motor! that should narrow down the trouble shooting to a couple of relays and the motor itself. Cheers!

Old 09-22-2012, 04:30 PM

All it wound up being was a loose lead in the blower motor power harness.... gotta love an easy fix!

Roob0481 (09-25-2015)
Old 09-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

All it wound up being was a loose lead in the blower motor power harness.... gotta love an easy fix!
Way to go Fixer.........

Happy chillin'!!

Cheers,

Fixer88 (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 10:32 AM

Way to go Fixer.........

Happy chillin'!!

Cheers,