XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Door Handle Linkage Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 09:59 PM
Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Door Handle Linkage Adjustment

I replaced the weatherstripping for both front doors today, and adjusted the door strikers after I was finished with the job to get the best fit to the adjacent doors. I also have had an issue with both front handles (and especially the Right Rear) where there requires substantial movement of the handle before the latch releases. The right rear door releases at the VERY end of handle travel.

I pulled the door panels off, and found this little guy connecting the door handle linkage to the latch mechanism.

Here's a closeup:

It took a few minutes to gently figure out how to release the clip without breaking it. (Tonight's nightmare will be accidentally breaking it, rendering the outside handle useless and scouring the internet and junkyards for that tiny plastic clip!)

Anyway, the clip has two pieces. The U-profile body and a securing clip which slides into the side. The tang (front left of clip) is pressed in, but there is also another identical tang at the rear right of the clip (out of sight), which needs to be pressed in simultaneously. This will allow the securing clip to slide out the side of the body, releasing the link rod. By pressing the white lever and clip down (taking up any slack in the movement), while also manipulating the outside handle to take up the slack at the top end of the link rod, you can clip the bottom of the rod back into the body, slide the securing clip back in, and eliminate just about all play in the mechanism.

My doors now unlatch after moving the handle only about 1/3 of the way through it's full range of motion.

Hope this helps someone looking to adjust their door handle linkage or trying to get that clip off without breaking it.

Stupid Me... I have a set of new front door handle gaskets and forgot to put them on while I did this job.... Doh!

Last edited by NTL1991; 12-20-2018 at 10:03 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by NTL1991:
Don B (12-23-2018), GRIZZ (05-31-2021), Lawrence (01-18-2019), vandenplas90 (08-30-2019)
Old 12-21-2018, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

good tip and pics ..I adjusted mine when I fitted a replacement rear handle back in October and it worked beautifully, releasing early in its travel and as smooth as silk.

Unfortunately, it seemed to slowly go out of adjustment over the last 2 months and the coup de grace on Monday (in a downpour), the replacement snapped (again).

New handle on order and might try modifying/repairing the broken handle as getting fed up of replacing them. 94MY car handles aren't supposed to be as fragile as the earlier design ...don't believe a word of it. This is a $hit design.

Larry

The following users liked this post:
Don B (12-23-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 06:41 PM
Received 243 Likes on 140 Posts

Great pictures and detailed write-up. Mine have a lot of play and I thought I had to live with it. Also, were the door seals difficult to replace? My driver door seal is really torn up. thanks, Ren

Old 12-21-2018, 11:01 PM
Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by retroren
Great pictures and detailed write-up. Mine have a lot of play and I thought I had to live with it. Also, were the door seals difficult to replace? My driver door seal is really torn up. thanks, Ren
Thanks! I went with the URO aftermarket seals and found them to be great quality and the fit was perfect. I timed my first door, the driver’s side. I started at noon exactly. Found my torx bits and had the tread plates and old seal removed by 12:10p. New seal was back on by 12:45p, tread plate cleaned and polished and reinstalled by 1pm.

Do not underestimate the absolute importance of using soapy water! I used Dawn liquid dishwashing soap, about a tablespoon’s worth in a tuna can filled with water. Used a plumbing flux brush to apply it to the back of the seal. The soap made it very easy to adjust the length of the seal by siding it in the “track.”

The hardest area for me was by the upper hinge area. The rest of the seal was easily installed by inserting it into the track at and angle, then applying pressure to the inside edge of the seal to fully seat it into the track. Once you get the feel for the correct angle, it’s a very easy process. There were only a few inches of seal that I had to use a flat-bladed screwdriver to seat the seal fully. Once it’s all in, go back over it, lift the lip along the entire length, and check to make sure it’s all fully seated. You’ll notice the spots where it isn’t, it’s pretty obvious to spot it visually.

I was worried when I read the write ups, but it turned out to be quite easy, but only after applying the soap.

Don B (12-23-2018)
Old 01-04-2019, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member

Arrived today, will fit next week if I can get some garage space, not doing this job on the street.

shiny, manuf. date 2007

Larry

Don B (01-20-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 03:55 AM
Received 465 Likes on 267 Posts

Larry, there is a trick for these door handles adjustment, just install a small extra nut FIRST on the rod thread(that you see above the clip) so instead of securing it onto the nylon plastic thread only, which after 20+ years is pretty much useless, metal nut will be pushing against the top of that plastic clip first. This way it will never go out of adjustment again, you'll just need to adjust both, the clip and nut when setting it all up
When I changed door handle on mine, it would not stay adjusted for more than a month until I added that nut, mind you, reason for many XJ40 broken handles are old door seals...
As I explained it to Naki some time ago, best way to understand this is to remove the old(often distorted and messed up) seal, your doors should then open and close with a push a of finger. Its just the old seal harden up with age, often cracks somewhere or there is rust on the door lip under the seal and rubber no longer compresses like it used to so the doors are much harder to close and open, its literally being pushed out of the car, hence the broken handles.

Obviously if the door handle is out of adjustment and barely opens at the end of its travel and you still trying to open the doors it will of course snap for sure too

Last edited by katar83; 01-05-2019 at 04:13 AM. Reason: added extra info.
The following 2 users liked this post by katar83:
Don B (01-20-2019), Lawrence (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Hey thanks! Definitely going to try that, makes sense!!
Any idea what thread size is?

Larry

ps - think my seals are OK (fronts are replacements) but will have a closer look at the rears ...

Last edited by Lawrence; 01-05-2019 at 09:53 PM. Reason: extra request
Old 01-14-2019, 01:55 AM
Veteran Member

Went to fit the new rear handle today but much to my surprise, the handle wasn't broken after all - it was just REALLY out of whack.

I picked up a couple of little nuts at the local hardware store and installed them on the rear door and the front passenger door rods as Katar suggested. Did the setup/adjustment/lubrication and the doors are operational again.

The passenger door really needed adjustment - it was just like Nick's door handle ..only actuating at the very end of travel. Now all sorted out and hopefully will stay that way as the little nuts on the thread add a whole other layer of insurance - the rod can't slip in the clip with that nut acting as a buffer. Great tip, thanks again Katar!

ps now have spare rear (new) handle ...

Larry

Don B (01-20-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Door opening is still perfect two months later and I use the handles with confidence instead of dread

Perfect solution!

Larry

Don B (03-17-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawrence
Door opening is still perfect two months later and I use the handles with confidence instead of dread

Perfect solution!

Larry
hey larry, wondering what size nut, if you remember?

Old 06-14-2019, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

I think it was a 1/4"?

I got them from the hardware store so unlikely metric ..

Larry

Evan Chames (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 02:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you’re the man i’ll check it out. my passenger rear door will blow the pwr lock fuse bc it can’t pull up the lock, plus the handles needs to be pulled alllll the way, and then some.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:17 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I am having the same problem with my passenger rear door releasing at the end of the travel and being difficult to open. When I took it apart, the metal rod was did not require an adjustment. Any other ideas as to what I should be checking? Could it just need lubrication?

Also - the door handle has two pieces coming out the back. One to the metal rod in question - does the other have a purpose?

Thanks

Old 06-17-2019, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member

It may not seem like it needs adjusting at first, but if it opens at the END of travel, then it does need adjusting. Try it again.

Larry

Last edited by Lawrence; 06-18-2019 at 03:05 AM.
Don B (06-19-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 01:09 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NTL1991
I replaced the weatherstripping for both front doors today, and adjusted the door strikers after I was finished with the job to get the best fit to the adjacent doors. I also have had an issue with both front handles (and especially the Right Rear) where there requires substantial movement of the handle before the latch releases. The right rear door releases at the VERY end of handle travel.

I pulled the door panels off, and found this little guy connecting the door handle linkage to the latch mechanism.

Here's a closeup:

It took a few minutes to gently figure out how to release the clip without breaking it. (Tonight's nightmare will be accidentally breaking it, rendering the outside handle useless and scouring the internet and junkyards for that tiny plastic clip!)

Anyway, the clip has two pieces. The U-profile body and a securing clip which slides into the side. The tang (front left of clip) is pressed in, but there is also another identical tang at the rear right of the clip (out of sight), which needs to be pressed in simultaneously. This will allow the securing clip to slide out the side of the body, releasing the link rod. By pressing the white lever and clip down (taking up any slack in the movement), while also manipulating the outside handle to take up the slack at the top end of the link rod, you can clip the bottom of the rod back into the body, slide the securing clip back in, and eliminate just about all play in the mechanism.

My doors now unlatch after moving the handle only about 1/3 of the way through it's full range of motion.

Hope this helps someone looking to adjust their door handle linkage or trying to get that clip off without breaking it.

Stupid Me... I have a set of new front door handle gaskets and forgot to put them on while I did this job.... Doh!
Thanks for the info NTL, this helped me a bunch. Have a good one good buddy.
Cheers.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Happy to report that door handles are still operating without any problems, best thing I ever did was to follow @katar83 's advice and fit the small nut to the rod.

Just to clarify the fitment procedure and as a small token of my appreciation here's an illustration of the arrangement.

all the best

Larry

Don B (11-05-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 05:55 PM
Received 172 Likes on 109 Posts

BTW, the threads on that rod are M4 so that is the size of nut needed to do this.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JensenHealey
BTW, the threads on that rod are M4 so that is the size of nut needed to do this.
Pretty sure the nuts I fitted were SAE, unsure of thread but they came from the local hardware store.

Larry

Old 11-07-2019, 07:18 AM
Received 172 Likes on 109 Posts

I just did this same exact nuts on the rod trick on two doors last week on my MY1994 and they were M4 threads on that rod.
Maybe earlier year rods were SAE threads.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

mines a late car, good to know both metric and sae work though!

Larry

Quick Reply: Door Handle Linkage Adjustment