XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Door Handles

After being difficult to open for some time, the passenger door handle on my 1993XJ6 "went limp" and I can no longer open the door from the outside. However, all four doors open and shut both when key is inserted and when the button on the console is depressed. Am I right in assuming that this indicates that the lock mechanisms are working correctly and the problem is only with the handle?. Can this be repaired? I already had the driver side door handle replaced by a garage but would prefer to do the job myself this time. Reading the posts, replacing the locks is very tricky but could someone please tell me whether replacing only the handle is just as difficult.

Thanks

Old 05-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,858 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by 3jags
After being difficult to open for some time, the passenger door handle on my 1993XJ6 "went limp" and I can no longer open the door from the outside. However, all four doors open and shut both when key is inserted and when the button on the console is depressed. Am I right in assuming that this indicates that the lock mechanisms are working correctly and the problem is only with the handle?. Can this be repaired? I already had the driver side door handle replaced by a garage but would prefer to do the job myself this time. Reading the posts, replacing the locks is very tricky but could someone please tell me whether replacing only the handle is just as difficult.

Thanks
There are quite a few detailed threads showing how to replace the front door handles, it was the first job I had to do on my '94.
You'll have to get hold of another handle and change out the lock mechanism to use your existing key - In my experience, changing out the lock barrel is the easiest part of the job, so don't worry about that!

Old 05-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Hi 3jags:
Lawrence is exactly right. Dig around in the archives of the forum for related posts. LOTS of folks have had to change out door handles, in some cases multiple times. Gather your information, make a plan, and then work through it systematically and there is no doubt you can do the job yourself.

Cheers!
Scott

Old 05-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,130 Likes on 793 Posts

3jags- If I read this right, its the outside handle that isn't working, right? When I first got mine, the drivers door didnt open from the outside. When I dived in I found that the pushrods connector at the handle had worn thru, and all I needed was that clip. It was a free fix for me as I have an assortment of them gathered from other projects. Hope this helps! Jerry

Old 05-26-2013, 06:18 PM

Thanks to all for the help. I've located a replacement handle but it's '92 and apparently the wiring is not the same as the '93 model. I'm told that it will be easy to change the wiring but would appreciate some reassurance about this. Anyone have any experience of this.
Thanks

Old 05-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,858 Likes on 1,183 Posts

As I remember, the only wiring that you have to concern yourself with is the micro switch actuator which you can remove from your old handle and re-attach to the new one. The wiring would be the same because you are replacing only the cast metal parts, right?

Don't forget to tape some protective rags etc over the outside paintwork as it's easy to scratch the panel with the new handle flopping about as you reassemble!

good luck!

Old 05-27-2013, 11:36 AM

Yes Lawrence, my intention is to replace only the hardware. Everything else is working just fine which is why I am so concerned about messing with the electronics. On my Daimler XJ6 (Majestic in the US) the whole door lock system is screwed-up and despite reading lots of potential solutions on this -- great -- site and, spending many hours on the problem, I've not been able to fix it. However, based on what you -- and the seller -- have told me, I've gone ahead and purchased the handle. Believe me, I shall proceed very, very carefully -- and with a great deal of trepidation -- with the installation. And, it is entirely possible that I'll be back for more advice from the generous folks at JagForums.
Many thanks for your input.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good advice by Lawrence and Midwest, I also encourage you to browse the wealth of posts on this subject. Regarding the microswitch - no worries. I have a '94 and the '92 handles work fine, and are more available. If the micro switch wire termininal connector is not compatable, just splice on the connector from your broken handle - the wire color coding is the same.
My last go around, I got smart and lubricated absolutely every pivot bushing and mechanical linkage joint I could find in the latching system. I also adjusted the length of the connecting rod to decrease the "throw" on the handle required to open the latch. The result is silky smooth, much easier operation which I hope will increase the life of the new handle. Another thing that can increase stress and shorten the life is a misaligned striker post. See comments by Jeh and Jagfixer https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...61/#post706274.
Useful advice on door panel removal, which you will become proficient at, is given by Hoff70 https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-panel-81218/

Old 06-02-2013, 03:12 PM

Thanks everyone. The replacement handles are on the way but I won't be able to work on the car for a couple of weeks yet. Before starting I'll be sure to reread your posts and review some of the older ones on the site. Notwithstanding, I may well be back for more of your advice when the project is underway!!!!

Old 07-11-2013, 04:31 AM

Hi Guys,
Finally have the handles -- and the time -- to fix the door lock problems on my '93 Sovereign. Removed the --rear passenger -- door panel with no difficulty. Was about to unscrew the handle cradle but the second nut seems to be partly obscured by the window runner. I might be able to deal with that but am concerned about being able to find/reattach the rod mechanism -- I DON'T want to mess with the window. There is a post showing 'photos of a lock mechanism but they don't seem to resemble what I have in my car. I am going to continue the struggle but would appreciate any thoughts anyone might have. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:58 AM

Rear passenger side handle removed without too much difficulty. Definitely broken. Replacement seems fine and since all the locks are working from the inside, I'm hoping that when I put it all back together again everything will be OK. Before doing that though I'm going to deal with the front door. Your inputs have been invaluable. I thank you all -- especially waynec who sent me an unbelievably comprehensive treatise on lock problems. This site is just great!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:45 AM

Have been making good progress on replacing handles. Rear door successfully completed and lock changed on front passenger door replacement handle. However, have been stymied for two days trying to re-install the lock barrel to latch rod. The problem is getting the hooked end of the rod into the aperture on the latch mechanism -- attaching the rod to the lock barrel is easy. I have removed the panel on the driver side to ascertain how the rod should look. It seems straightforward but with no visibility or room to maneuver it's next to impossible. I'm beginning to wonder whether it can be done without a more radical approach. Has anyone had experience of this problem. I've been through all 37 pages of the XJ40 posts without seeing this issue mentioned. Since I have a time constraint, I'm tempted to put the door back without -- for the moment -- connecting the lock but am concerned that that might totally mess up the system. The car is a 1993 Sovereign and the rod in question appears to be different from that of earlier/later models. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Have you tried the reverse.

Fit the hooked end of the rod into the aperture on the latch mechanism first and then the rod to the lock barrel.

just a thought.

The following users liked this post:
3jags (07-21-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 AM

Jim,
Many thanks for the input. I have already disconnected both rods from the handle. The latch handle rod was easy to reconnect but the lock link rod connection to the latch is obscured and very difficult to reach either from the inside aperture or via the outside handle opening. I'm at the point of wondering whether it is possible to do without dismantling the whole mechanism which I really, really don't want to do.

Again, thanks for your help. Without the contributions from the folks on the forum I would never been able to get this far.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:41 AM

Jim,

Eureka. After reading your post I went out and gave it another try and, suddenly, it popped right in. If only I can re install the handle without messing up, I should be home and dry -- at least for this project.

Again, my thanks to you and to all the others who came to my rescue.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Happy to be some assistance and hopefully you can get back on the road soon.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:38 AM

Delighted to say that my '93 Sovereign today passed the French equivalent of the DMV/MOT inspection. As many subscribers have pointed out, XJ40 handles are a PITA. the only thing I have not been able to do yet is re-install the lock to latch rod. The problem is that the bushing is so worn that it doesn't retain the rod. I think I can get a new bushing in the UK.

Thanks to all those kind people who took the time to help me.

Will now move on to to next project which is to fix battery drain!!

Old 07-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Well done and keep us posted.