XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

A dozen MY87 XJ40 electrical gremlins RESOLVED in a stroke!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default A dozen MY87 XJ40 electrical gremlins RESOLVED in a stroke!

OK . . . it's the digital dashboard fully optioned 3.6L AJ6 Sov but 4 headlights + power wash, sunroof, level ride, burr walnut with boxwood inlays etc etc . . . only driven to Church on fine Sundays by a little old lady (LOL) PO . . . who turns out to be a demon with side-cutters whenever an electrical gremlin had the temerity to arise. Now, this LOL was supported in her endeavours by her local auto electrician who came in after her to cobble a multitude of fixes . . . some worked, but sadly, some did not. When I bought it (and sold it), the car was a non-goer and the LOL's best offer had been AU$150 from the crusher. Needless to say, that digital dashboard was lit up like a Christmas tree . . . and despite 50+ years of working on Jaguars, I have never seen anything as scary as that glowing "lightning bolt".

Fixed in a stroke!!! I swapped out the magnificent, wider factory alloy wheels and other upgrades I wanted . . . and SOLD IT!!! The mate who bought it (for exactly the same peanuts I paid) did so with eyes wide open, and set about fixing it properly . . . something my already full list precluded. So, today saw me lending a hand and after a succession of replaced fuses and a single relay, the lightning bolt has disappeared, all systems are working, he has polished the damn thing till its Solent Blue is gleaming. . . and it looks like a million quid. This was achieved by attacking each gremlin one circuit at a time and there is only 1 headlight to go.

Gotta go and call the LOL . . . let her know that her car will now never go to the crusher but has been commandeered by my mate's wife as her Historic Register (30+yr) drive. Don't you just love a great outcome? Mate is chuffed; his wife is hopping about like a girl with a brand new toy; I feel like my millstone has turned into Cinderella's carriage; and I bet that LOL will be over the moon.

Cheers,

Ken

The following 2 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
Don B (03-26-2018), GGG (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 03:22 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Ken,

The electrics on my XJ40 were 'sensitive' twenty five years ago. I shudder to think what all the intervening years do to these excellent cars.

Here it is at Lake Coniston (where Donald Campbell was killed trying to break his own water speed record) in October 1996.

A dozen MY87 XJ40 electrical gremlins RESOLVED in a stroke!-15-ggg-coniston.jpg

I'd put over 100k miles on that car before it was written off when a van came straight through a red light into the side of me.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hi Graham,

The car I'm referring to here, looks an identical twin to yours . . . except for the fine lady sitting sensibly in passenger's seat while partner stands outside in what Brits foolishly call summer weather snapping pics. LOL.

Loved your reference to DC at Coniston Water . . . we have taken the ferry from across the lake, shutting my eyes to recapture images of his final run. For a lad that grew up with a large model of the Bristol Proteus powered "Bluebird" car he used to set new land speed record on Lake Eyre (salt, not water) in Australia, your backdrop of Coniston is certainly a magical place.

The XJ40 is really under-rated . . . OK, I realize that the purists still hanker for the Series I,II,III and the more practical, newer end X300/308, but the XJ40, especially the final evolution by MY94, is a fine luxury Jaguar. With now a sole example of each, I reach for the X308 every time, but the XJ40 is not far behind. The Series III XJ6 is a great car but quaint and far more old worldly by comparison . . . Just my 2cents.

Cheers,

Ken

The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-26-2018)