XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

ignition coil wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default ignition coil wiring

92 xj6 sovereign with 94k

I need the wiring for the ignition coil. The old one was removed and I have a new one to replace it.

I have attached several pictures for reference. I believe I have the negative side wired correctly based on the diagrams on the forum/haynes manual but just want to make sure about the positive side which has two wires.

There are two black wires that I need specific help with: one is coming from the same harness at the wire that is already on the positive terminal (pic 1) and the other wire is coming from a capacitor? mounted to the frame just below the coil (pic 3). Does one of these go to the positive terminal the other get screwed to the frame with a mounting bolt for the coil?

Separately, there is a hard line with a flare fitting in pic 2 that is just hanging there... Any thoughts on what this is and where it goes?

thanks

Attached Thumbnails ignition coil wiring-jag1.jpg   ignition coil wiring-jag2.jpg   ignition coil wiring-jag3.jpg  
Old 12-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by dtrain
Does one of these go to the positive terminal the other get screwed to the frame
Yes.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:54 PM

Thanks. I did get the coil wired but still don't know what the hard line is for in the previous picture. Any thoughts?

In addition, the car still runs rough. I'm going to recheck the vacuum hoses and do a compression test.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Default compression test

Did a compression test today.

Engine was cold (did not want it to run it any longer than I had to). Compression readings are as follows:

188 - 188 - 189 - 0 - 0 - 187

I'm hoping that it's a head gasket. Haynes Manual says to put some oil in the plug holes and retest. If the compression is higher, it says the piston rings are worn. Otherwise it's likely a valve or head gasket issue.

My thoughts were head gasket since the two cylinders with no compression are next to each other.

Any thoughts?

Old 12-16-2012, 05:24 AM

0? Unfortunately the only way you will truly know is to take the head off. Get crackin!

Old 12-17-2012, 05:46 AM

I hear you... I'll probably tackle it over the holidays. While I have the head off, should I be doing anything else? I'm thinking about:

1. doing or having the valves done
2. timing chain/tensioner
3. new shims

I've already looked over the gasket kit (manifolds, head, valve cover, etc.) and new bolts for the head - I've seen some conflicting views on whether they need to be replaced but I thought I'd be safe.

Not sure what specialty tools would be necessary. I found in the past that sometimes they are nearly the cost of the local machine shop that would do the job for you...

I searched for a write up on the valve job but didn't find one - only references to a manual (I have the Haynes manual). If there is one, I would appreciate someone sending it my way.

thanks

Old 12-17-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by dtrain
I hear you... I'll probably tackle it over the holidays. While I have the head off, should I be doing anything else? I'm thinking about:

1. doing or having the valves done
2. timing chain/tensioner
3. new shims
Everything depends on your budget. I'm one who doesn't fix it if it's not broken. Your issue may be just a head gasket. Again, you'll know more once you get that head off. I did the job without any specialty tools, except whiteout, to make reference marks. The head is heavy and cumbersome, you may need assistance there. I reused the headbolts and valve cover gasket. I have 3 jags that all need attention, so they all get the equal amount of love, if they don't need it, they ain't gettin it.

Good tools are a must. Depending on what brand you like, get the best you can afford. Like breaker bars, don't skimp on those. Get plenty of penetrating lubricant. Soak those exhaust manifold bolts at least a day before you start the job. Removing the timing cover chain is tricky, take your time, take lots of pictures or video, so you can review your work. Time has a way of creeping in, and what was fresh in our memory today is foggy tomorrow.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:17 PM

Got the head pulled. The head gasket appears to be the problem. See the attached photos.

Attached Thumbnails ignition coil wiring-head-gasket.jpg   ignition coil wiring-head-gasket-block.jpg  
Old 01-17-2013, 06:15 PM

Excellent job my man! You found it. Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:24 PM

Thanks - I dropped it off at a local shop that specializes in British cars. They are going to clean it, inspect it and change the valve seals. I've got the gasket kit on order so when they are finished, I'll get started on putting it back together.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:45 AM
Default cylinder head returned

Got the head back this week. Needed to be machined (planed flat) from where the gasket went bad. They stripped it down, cleaned it, machined it and put everything back together. Then they tested it to ensure the valves were sealing properly. Looks like brand new...

I need to get the studs for the EGR valve and would like to get one bolt for the intake manifold. I can't seem to find them online - any thoughts? I will call the dealer on Monday if they aren't available anywhere else.

The other thing I had a question about was the coolant housing. There appeared to be an RTV type sealant on the mating surfaces as a gasket. I didn't see anything in the cylinder head gasket set for this purpose. Any suggestions on what to use or is there a separate gasket that I should purchase?

thanks

sorry the pic is upside down - I saved it right side up and upside down and they both showed up upside down when I uploaded them.

Attached Thumbnails ignition coil wiring-cylinder-head.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 04:09 PM

Got it all put back together. Should I fill the timing chain tensioner with oil before starting the engine? Just want to make sure it's doing it's job.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:53 PM

well I turned the key and it started right up... running smooth but it sounds like the chain is slapping. thought the upper chain tensioner that was removed needed some oil to get pumped through it (as the engine was running) but was afraid to let it go too long. any thoughts?

Old 03-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

No idea ... but bump.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:08 PM

Found a thread to install the tensioner. It says to put in the tensioner in with the smaller bolt, back off the allen head inside and then put the rest of it together. I tried this but got the same results.

Here's a video of what it's doing.

Attached Files
File Type: wmv
IMG_1368.wmv (1.13 MB, 120 views)
Old 03-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

dtrain,

That sounds more like your cooling fan hitting the shroud or radiator or something close by???

Old 03-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Default Problem Solved.

Good call!!! Jacked it up and found a hairline crack toward the bottom of the shroud. Couldn't see it from above - removed the shroud and the noise disappeared...

thanks