XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Performance Chips

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Performance Chips

Has anyone had any experience with performance chips on their Jaguar? Specifically GForce chips? I was looking on the web for parts for my 1990 XJ6 when the website for this company popped up. Claim their chip will increase my mileage by 4 to 7 mpg.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:49 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

that is very unlikely. honestly i would get a conical air filter, install the modified cps bracket, take all the junk out of your trunk, air up your tires and call it a day. After a quick look at their site, all I can say is the part about it reprogramming your ecu by plugging into your IAT sensor had me laughing quite a bit. But in all seriousness, dont give them any money

Old 03-14-2012, 05:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I have no idea about chips. Kinda doubt it though, these cars are 20 years old.

Best way to increase your mpg is to adapt your driving style.

Accelerate gently and anticipate braking zones.

Up to this winter my XJ40 was my DD with around 70miles per work day and 200-300 at weekends.

I notice that I am seeing pretty much the same mpg in the 2.0l Toyota that I am using at the moment.

I also note with surprise that I last changed my pads 8 years ago and still have around 60% left (looked on Sunday when swapping wheels around).

Gentle anticipated braking means that I am not wasting fuel to stop the car.

Lets face it, these cars are not sports cars, but are a big cruiser with some ooomph when we want it.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:44 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting indeed. I read this thread:

"DIY Modification to Improve Peformance and Fuel Economy of AJ16 and AJ6 Enigines' ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...archid=1421351 )

This covers the bracket for use on the XJR. Will this work on a base model 4.0 XJ40? Also, which conical filter would be best on my car. I've heard the K&N oil is NO GOOD for these MAF sensors. True or not?

Thanks (and sorry if this is a thread jack).

Cheers!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:35 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by malibudav
Interesting indeed. I read this thread:

"DIY Modification to Improve Peformance and Fuel Economy of AJ16 and AJ6 Enigines' ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...archid=1421351 )

This covers the bracket for use on the XJR. Will this work on a base model 4.0 XJ40? Also, which conical filter would be best on my car. I've heard the K&N oil is NO GOOD for these MAF sensors. True or not?

Thanks (and sorry if this is a thread jack).

Cheers!
Yes it will work on any 6 cylinder xj40 or x300. As far as the air filter goes I have heard that as well, although mine had a k&n on it when I got it and it seems to be working fine

Old 03-18-2012, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the feedback. As for my driving style, I would say I'm a moderate driver. I enjoy easy acceleration and cruising. And I keep my tires inflated to the proper pressures. I'll try the air filter and check out the bracket.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:31 AM

I read the link on the sensor bracket and it sounds interesting. But for now, I would just like to mount an air filter. I was in my local auto parts store yesterday, and they had some Chinese-manufactured conical filter for $20, and a K&N for about $50. Personally, I would prefer the K&N, although the Chinese brand was also an oiled filter. So, is there a problem with the use of the oiled filter?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

If you want to go ballistic, why not go down the twin turbo route?

XJ40 Chasseur, also Janspeed and Arden did some conversions.

Like a plonker I turned away from a Chasseur TT about 10 years ago, for £3000, my then wife told me I couldn't have it.

I was an idiot.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile GForce chip isn't a chip !!!

The GForce chip isn't a chip per se, if you consider a 'chip' to be some form of integrated circuit as those of us in electronics do.

What is offered by GForce is actually a resistor that is placed in series with the IAT Sensor (Intake Air Temperature Sensor) wiring.

The only way you can get your ECU to actually change the operating parameters (ignition-timing mapping and fuel/air ratio) is to fool it into thinking that the incoming air temperature is lower than it actually is.

SEE THE FOLLOWING LINK--- this will be a real eye-opener for many. 5HP for 99&cent!

You will also gain much knowledge by Googling "IAT sensor" or "Intake Air Temperature Sensor".

Have fun with this, you can actually gain a bit of performance AND slightly increase fuel-mileage with this nifty trick. The above web-site is accurate, and right "on the money".

If I were contemplating (and I am) changing the resistance value of my IAT sensor, I would first measure its' resistance parameters with respect to temperature, and then attempt a modification by adding more resistance in series with it per the info in the above web-site.

Doing this carefully will in no way harm your engine.

Best -

Jeff

Old 04-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gforce additonal info

AS I mentioned in the previous post, the GForce "chip" is simply a resistor that is placed in series with the Intake Air Temperature Sensor. Here's a link for more info-- IAT or Intake Air Temperature Sensor Testing - YouTube

Jeff