XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

SLS - Self Leveling System Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SLS - Self Leveling System Removal

The previous owner had the SLS removed by a local Sports Car Shop but they did not remove all of the old system or "clean it up" by securing the unused old parts.

Under the bonnet on the right wheel well there is a valve unit tied down with two wire ties and the hoses and wiring are just hanging there. The wiring ( six wires ) is still connected to the chassis plug but all hoses are not. Can I unplug the wires so I can remove this un-needed item? It just clutters up the engine bay.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SLS - Update

I disconnected the electrical connector and drove the Jag around yesterday and did not see any error codes displayed. Hopefully all is well in that department. Now just have to remove some of the hydraulic lines that were left in place...

Old 05-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

On the 1990MY >onward you can delete the entire pump/valve block from the engine compartment to clean up the area. You will need to block off the reservoir return hose fitting and replace the reservoir-to-pump oil hose with one from the non SLS car.

There is a pump drive blanking plate to cover where the pump used to be mounted. I cut a large coffee can lid into a triangle shape and drilled 3 holes one time because the dealer was out-of-stock on the blanking plate.

You can then drain the HSMO from the reservoir and rack and top it up with DEXRON like the earlier and later cars.

I have a pile of 15 or 20 pumps and valve blocks in the corner of my shop if anyone needs a few.

bob gauff

Attached Files
Old 09-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I have a pile of 15 or 20 pumps and valve blocks in the corner of my shop if anyone needs a few.

bob gauff
Thanks, I will be interested. I assumed custody of a Daimler 4.0 -93 now that is acting up with the levelling. Before I abandon things I would genuinely like to make an attempt to resolve the issue I have and get a chance to experience a working levelling system for a while. Here is what happens:
The car will pump up pressure so the rear lifts to some assumed standard position. As soon as that ride height is reached the system immediately releases all pressure and the rear end drops to the lowest level , all in maybe 1 second. Then it pumps up again to that level for some 10 seconds, then dumps the pressure again, same thing repeats over and over, parked or on the road.
Could it be a relief valve that opens when some certain pressure is reached and which I could replace ? Anyone recognizes that phenomena ?

Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts
Default SLS- Self Leveling System

Hi,

I recognize the behavior. I'm one of those people who had the system removed. The problem that kept recurring for me was the actual SLS shocks/struts. The seals kept popping even with new sets. It may have been an issue of where I was located at the time, I was in Arizona (extreme heat) and went through two sets of the SLS struts beside the originals (California car, no issues there). That's speculation on my part, but at the time the replacements were really expensive and I had rotten luck with them, so converted to a traditional system and very glad I did.

I would check the struts for leaks, I didn't have any issues under the bonnet in my case. Also there is a ride level sensor at the rear wheel wells and you may want to check the solenoid(s) (one for load, one for lowering) on the valve block on your MY.

Keep in mind I'm making some assumptions on your vehicle since I don't know the engine size or VIN, so I could be off on the specifics of your vehicle.

Good Luck

Rob Evenson
Mobile, AL, USA
89 XJ40, 3.6L, 123K

Originally Posted by gunnar_xj6
Thanks, I will be interested. I assumed custody of a Daimler 4.0 -93 now that is acting up with the levelling. Before I abandon things I would genuinely like to make an attempt to resolve the issue I have and get a chance to experience a working levelling system for a while. Here is what happens:
The car will pump up pressure so the rear lifts to some assumed standard position. As soon as that ride height is reached the system immediately releases all pressure and the rear end drops to the lowest level , all in maybe 1 second. Then it pumps up again to that level for some 10 seconds, then dumps the pressure again, same thing repeats over and over, parked or on the road.
Could it be a relief valve that opens when some certain pressure is reached and which I could replace ? Anyone recognizes that phenomena ?