XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Under Bonnet light issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Under Bonnet light issue

Hey guys it's me again.

Have found another slightly annoying problem, this time it is the under bonnet lights, they do not work. I have placed new bulbs into the bulb holders and checked to see if there is power getting to the holders, which there is, but bulbs do not work. I thought initially there may have been a bad earth or something similar but this does not appear to be the case. Does anyone have any ideas.
Thanks again in advance

Old 08-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Might be a silly question....but have you got your parking lights turned on when testing the under bonnet lights? I'm guessing you have because you mentioned that you are getting power. There should be a switch somewhere that turns them on when the bonnet is opened and switches them off when it is closed...like a door light switch....probably near the bonnet latches?

The following users liked this post:
Torque59 (08-22-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 11:20 PM

Hey again Jagfix38,
Thank you again for your prompt reply.Yes I do have the parking lights on, I have located the switch you speak of , which appears to be operating ok. I did notice that when the bulb is in the carrier and I check with a probe light that the power is coming through that when I place the probe on the case of the bulb the probe light illuminates. That is why I suspected a bad earth. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree I don't know. Electrical problems are not my forte

Old 08-22-2011, 12:11 AM

I have to admit that electrics are not my strongest point...sometimes I spend hours pouring over wiring diagrams along with a bit of trial and error!

You're getting power to the bulbs which is a good thing. The question will be just how much as the electrics in these cars run on all sorts of voltages through various relays and ECM's, and yes, sometimes earths can be an issue as can using the wrong bulbs or the modern LED's

Just looking at the bulb chart, the correct bulbs are 12V 5W and the correct fuse is a 15A in position #11 in the right hand side fuse box. Have you checked this?

There are quite a few 'blanked' out connectors that were built into the wiring of these cats for optional accessories ie in the boot for tow bar electrics and cd changer and in the front for the optional fog/driving lights. These circuits are closed off with resistors to override false bulb failure lights on the dash. I'm wondering if at some stage something was installed and the corresponding resistors have been removed which could be a source of the problem.

have you tried just getting a length of electrical wire and earthing it from the bulb back to the battery to see if this works? Or tried just fiddling with the interior light switches and dash dimmer dial to rule these out?

Torque59 (08-22-2011)
Old 08-22-2011, 12:29 AM

I have checked the fuses and put new bulbs in of the correct wattage etc. Initially I thought that may have been the problem to. All appears to be ok. The thing I don't understand is that I have power to the bulb carrier but the bulb does not illuminate. Have just tried earthing it back to the battery with a length of wire which made no difference. I have little enough hair left now.........

Old 08-22-2011, 12:54 AM

I just went and had a look at the wiring on mine...the two lights are wired in sequence and run from a red connector located down behind the drivers side headlight....have you removed the lights and the under bonnet blanket and traced the wiring to each light just to make sure there are no breaks? Have you unplugged the connector and tested that you are getting power from there + and -? I don't know what else to suggest...

Torque59 (08-28-2011)
Old 08-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Some kudos for your tenacity, mine have not worked in 8 years or more.

Then again, if I am opening the bonnet to check something with the engine off, I automatically switch off the headlights.

I'm old enough to have it ingrained that engine off = headlights off.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

When checking your lights,you get power to them but they dont light,corect. Have you checked how much amperage you are getting to them, if you arent getting enough amperage they wont light (dont confuse voltage with amperage). My 93 had similar problems, was cured when i replaced the fuse panels as mine were corroded and would send out 12 volts but with no amps, hence no lights starter and other electrical stuff).

Torque59 (08-22-2011)