XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Warnings and alerts

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 02:56 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Warnings and alerts

Whilst reading another post regarding a sound warning to let you know the gear selector is not fully engaged in the park position, I decided to try it out on mine....

After leaving the gear shifter out of park and switching off the engine, I did not get any warning sounds or anything....
even when I left it in "D" still nothing.

After trying this I also had another thought and went out and tested it.....
If I recall rightly.... when I first got the car it used to sound a buzzer if I left my lights on and ignition off..... it is no longer doing that.

Is my car missing a sound alert of some description??
I assume there must be a module for this too...... can anyone shed any light on this?

Old 03-17-2014, 08:52 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I think your column speaker is faulty/inop.
Look at figure 14 in the electrical guide.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
red_101au (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I think your column speaker is faulty/inop.
Look at figure 14 in the electrical guide.

bob gauff
Thanks for that motorcarman....

I am sorry I am not really familiar with this...
Which electrical guide are you talking about?

Could you be more specific please, I would appreciate more information regarding this.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:26 AM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Robert,

It's not the audible column speaker, that is for the linear switch, seat belts, speed warning and ignition.

You're looking for a Hella rely located in the drivers foot-well, above and slightly beyond the fuse box:

HELLA 3SB 004 438-077 (3SB004438077) Lights-on Reminder
HELLA 3SB 004 438-077 (3SB004438077) Lights-on reminder

I had a problem with mine, it caused a intermittent parasitic draw. Sometime is would sound, sometimes not, real bugger to track down. It would energize with lights in the off position, engine off, keys out.

red_101au (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 09:54 AM

Thanks Rob,
I will have to check that out tomorrow...
When you say driver's side footwell.... would that mean it would therefore be on the opposite side here (right hand drive).... I will have a hunt for it anyway.

I am guessing there may be a few relays in that area.... knowing which one to check maybe a matter of trial and error lol

As for the column speaker thingy.....
I do not know what the linear switch is, and I do not know if my car is fitted with speed warning and ignition warnings or seat belt warnings.... The only seat belt message I get is the one on the instrument panel.....
I never seem to get any audible alarms, beeps, whistles or anything else.
So if it is supposed to do those things...... the column speaker may also be another problem I need to address.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:21 AM

Robert,

The Hella relay is your typical size and shape, black in color. I already had considered to location for your vehicle when I posted last.

The linear switch would also be referred to as the gear selector switch located under your ski slope.

Last edited by Rob Evenson; 03-17-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:59 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The sound my car made was the same frequency tone when you turn on the car. That steady almost dial tone sound.. My car does the steady tone when I turn the car on, and the display (information screen) lights up fully. The tone stops when the display goes off, and the warning start being displayed. 'if that makes sense'

just beeping rather then the steady tone.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:16 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Evenson
Robert,

It's not the audible column speaker, that is for the linear switch, seat belts, speed warning and ignition.

You're looking for a Hella rely located in the drivers foot-well, above and slightly beyond the fuse box:

HELLA 3SB 004 438-077 (3SB004438077) Lights-on Reminder
Rob,

If our '88 was wired with an alarm to let you know the headlights had been left on it wasn't working our car and I never found the Hella relay you describe. I added an alarm to let me know the lights were on when the ignition was off by wiring in a relay and an "audible annunciator" type buzzer. I wonder if this feature was not added until the '89 MY, or if it did, but back in the early '90s none of the other owner-mechanics I was relying on for mentoring were aware that this feature existed on an '88?

Bob, do you know whether an '88 had the lights-on-reminder Rob describes?

Cheers,

Don

Old 03-17-2014, 10:24 PM

I am not sure what the 88 has or doesn't have Don....
IIRC when I first got her, I believe there was an audible sound if the lights were turned on and ignition off...... But I can not swear to it...... As I may be thinking of one of the other cars I had just prior to getting her.

With all the other features included with these cars, I would be surprised if they didn't have at least a headlight on reminder.

If it did have it fitted...... I am guessing I lost that at the same time I lost the interior light timer.....
Something I still haven't tracked down or repaired.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:30 PM

Sorry Bob,

I was asking that question of Bob Gauff, "Motorcarman," who seems to have seen the insides of about every model Jaguar there has ever been. Hopefully he'll know if the '88 had the headlights-on-reminder. I know for certain that feature was not operative on our '88, and for some reason I thought I had researched and learned that the car was not equipped with a headlights-on alarm. I was just as surprised as you, given all the other modern features of the car.

Maybe our '88 was equipped with the alarm but it was inoperative, and since I didn't know it was there, I added a new one! I'll feel really stupid if Bob Gauff says our '88 had the alarm from the factory....

Cheers,

Don

Old 03-17-2014, 10:35 PM

To satisfy my curiosity, I just reviewed all the schematics for Lighting in the '88 XJ40 Electrical Guide and I don't see anything resembling a Lights-On-Reminder circuit, module, relay or otherwise.

Rob, Do the schematics for your '89 show that HELLA relay or module, and if so, on what page? You've got me curious now!

Cheers,

Don

Old 03-18-2014, 03:54 AM

lol.... there are too many Rob's, Robert's and Bob's on here hahahaha ......
Guess to save confusion.... you all should refer to me as Red...... it has been my nickname for many years due to my red beard...... lol
But I will answer to just about anything..... including "Hey You!!!" lol

Old 03-18-2014, 08:26 AM

The first model (1988 here in the U.S.) did NOT have the light reminder audible warning.
It was introduced with the 1989 MY.

All the other warnings are incorporated into the warning module and column speaker.

The differences are found in the electrical guides for the 1988 and 1989 MY sedans.

bob gauff

Old 03-18-2014, 12:51 PM

All,

My apologies, I answered in haste and didn't clarify what my response was directed at; then "muddied" the water by focusing on the "lights-on" question, instead of the possible cause of Red's source of audible warning.

Don - in regard to MY 89

pg 100/466 of JDHT Supplementary CD-rom (JHM1130 v1.1) Electrical Technical Guide - Lights On Audible Warning Module

LB147-15 Lights on from LB49-18
LB147-30 Battery power
LB147-30b Driver door switch from DD9-2

Bob

Bob, you are, of course, correct.

There is no correlation for lights on for the MY 88. The only audible warning module inputs/outputs are for ignition key in, seat belts, turn signal, linear (gear) position.

The schematic from the JDHT Service Manual (JHM1172 v1.1) differs from the above referenced Supplemental CD-rom, in that the service manual also includes speed warning as well, but the Supplement doesn't reference that particular warning.

The Service Manual covers MY 87-89 and my mistake was not checking the Supplemental CD-rom.

Red,

Didn't meant to throw you into a wild-goose chase in the event I did. Sorry about that.

Sorry for the confusion guys!!! My Bad!!!

Don B (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Evenson
Red,

Didn't meant to throw you into a wild-goose chase in the event I did. Sorry about that.

Sorry for the confusion guys!!! My Bad!!!
Rob,

You were right to assume the '88 MY was just like your '89 since in almost every other respect they were identical. (I'm sure Bob Gauff will correct that generalization. As one of our wise Supreme Court justices once said, "No generalization is always true, not even this one.")

I don't know if it caused Red any grief, but I was faced with the possibility that I may have added an all new system to a car that already had the system and just needed to be repaired. I was going to feel really foolish about that!

Cheers,

Don

93SB (05-14-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 05:47 PM

Ok ..... I also apologize for any confusion...
Just to clarify....
1988 XJ40 Sovereign....... yes or no to lights on warning?
I assume the answer is no here....

Is my model supposed to be fitted with any audible warnings at all??
As I don't seem to have any.... And if I read this correctly,
there should be for ignition key in, seat belts, turn signal, linear (gear) position.

Which brings me to the original question.... if they are fitted,
where do I need to look to trace down why they do not work?

Old 03-18-2014, 06:34 PM

Red,

No, you don't have a "Light On" module, but you should coerce Don into drawing up the schematics of the system he improvised.

Bob indicated he suspected the audible speaker itself as being faulty, may be your answer as to why no audibles for anything listed, such as gear not in park, seat belt unfastened, turn signals and key in.

If you have no audibles for any of those conditions, start with the speaker.

red_101au (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 09:47 PM

Thanks Rob

I do actually have an old headlights on warning module that I have fitted to several other cars in the past...
Just one of those things you hang onto "I may need that one day" kinda thing hehehe.

Now next question.... where is the speaker located?

It was mentioned "the column speaker"..... would that mean along the steering column? or is that too literal?

Again I apologize for my ignorance.

Last edited by red_101au; 03-18-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:19 PM

When my 1992 XJ40 column speaker failed I just found one in an old transistor radio from the 1970s and used in place of the Jaguar one.

I think it was a little smaller but I got it fitted in place and it worked fine.

The speaker is in the upper column cowling on the right side.

It can be accessed by removing the lower plastic cowl.

bob gauff

red_101au (03-20-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
When my 1992 XJ40 column speaker failed I just found one in an old transistor radio from the 1970s and used in place of the Jaguar one.

I think it was a little smaller but I got it fitted in place and it worked fine.

The speaker is in the upper column cowling on the right side.

It can be accessed by removing the lower plastic cowl.

bob gauff

Thanks Bob,
I found it right where you said it was no problem...
Actually had to remove both top and bottom of the cowling to get to it....
The ignition barrel presented a bit of a hassle to remove it from the bottom....
So I removed it through the top.

I decided to wire in another speaker I had here just to see if that was the problem....
I didn't hard wire it.... just twitched it to the wires temporarily...
Made no difference..... still no sounds at all, so I guess I will have to trace those wires back along the loom a little further and see if I can find where its not working.

I did however get like a scratching sound as I was twitching the wires.... but that's to be expected while wires are being twitched..

I will have another play with it tomorrow during daylight... no point trying to do anything more in the dark lol

ps.... where do I find the "warning module" if it is not the speaker.... next logical thing to check would be the module.
Would I be right in thinking it will be behind the passenger knee bolster?

Last edited by red_101au; 03-20-2014 at 08:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Warnings and alerts