XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

To weld or not to weld...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To weld or not to weld...

Hi chaps,

My '40 failed her MOT, first time ever - on rust! I have no idea as to how much cost wise & whether it would be worth doing.

These are the fail points:
1. Nearside front (outer sill) body or chassis has excessive corrossion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings
2. Nearside front (inner sill) body or chassis has excessive corrossion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings
3. Offside front (inner sill) body or chassis has excessive corrossion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings
4. Offside rear (inner floor pan) body or chassis has excessive corrossion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings
5. Offside rear (subframe mount / jacking beam area) body or chassis has excessive corrossion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings
6. Nearside rear (inner sill) body or chassis has excessive corrossion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings

Attached Thumbnails To weld or not to weld...-frontns.jpg   To weld or not to weld...-frontns2.jpg   To weld or not to weld...-frontns3.jpg  
Old 07-23-2013, 02:19 PM

The previous post was showing the nearside front

This is the front o/side

This is the rear n/side

Attached Thumbnails To weld or not to weld...-frontos.jpg   To weld or not to weld...-rearns.jpg   To weld or not to weld...-rearns2.jpg  
Old 07-23-2013, 02:26 PM

And this is the worst of it

Rear o/side

Looking into the hole

So is it worth repairing? Also, both A-pillars need doing as well

I'm just at a lost whether to scrap it and look for something else

Attached Thumbnails To weld or not to weld...-rearof.jpg   To weld or not to weld...-rearos3.jpg   To weld or not to weld...-rearos4.jpg   To weld or not to weld...-rearos4lookingdeeperintohole.jpg   To weld or not to weld...-rearos4lookingintohole.jpg  

To weld or not to weld...-rearos4lookingintohole2.jpg  
Old 07-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Well, pretty much anything is possible these days, at a price. I would think that the cost of repair would be economical suicide against the monetary worth of the car.

You could possibly recoup quite a pretty penny by parting it out yourself.

This is purely my own opinion and really it is up to you and how much you want the car.

Hope this helps,

Old 07-23-2013, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by jimbov8
Well, pretty much anything is possible these days, at a price. I would think that the cost of repair would be economical suicide against the monetary worth of the car.

You could possibly recoup quite a pretty penny by parting it out yourself.

This is purely my own opinion and really it is up to you and how much you want the car.

Hope this helps,
I was afraid someone might say that. The car I do love, however, I cannot throw endless money at it. Can't part it out, the neighbours would go screaming mad!!! (I live in a flat, so would have to sell the whole car) Oh conundrums

Old 07-23-2013, 06:11 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

There's a lot of remedial work needed to get it to MoT standard - and that's just from what's visible in the photos. It's always worse once you start cutting out the rot.

If you can weld and spray and have the garage space to work on the car, it will be very time consuming but not hugely expensive. If you're considering paying to have the work done then best to accept the inevitable and get what you can for it. A replacement Jaguar is going to cost a whole lot less than the repairs.

Graham

Old 07-24-2013, 03:40 AM

Anyone know what 'cost' I'm looking at?

I just have no idea - even the MOT guy said it would cost, but couldn't give a figure!

Old 07-24-2013, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi SuperRoo,
I sense your anguish and I cannot guess a price, that would be tricky, a shame you don't have a buddy to advise, can you seek out old friends on facebook or similar, it may be worth a shout. A few years ago, I had an old rover which was suffering the R word and we took her to an old barn for the weekend, space, time and power tools and privacy and a jolly good belly laugh were the order of the day whilst we grinded and cut and welded and applied the p38 and p40 to rebuild the sills and arches, it would have been great if the weather hadn't changed on the way home, we hadn't left the car long enough for the paintwork to adhere properly so the rust came through again due to the downpour I drove back in. You will need loadsa cash to rebuild that lovely car and it's a crying shame, a lot to do with The Great British roods, weather and living in suburbia, I'm afraid, if you have the time, I'd suggest that phone around old mates or the web, failing that a pro would be expensive and Graham and Jim have sadly given sound advice.
I wish you the best of luck in concluding this with a Fine Finale and hope you don't lose your zest for a Fine taste in outstanding motoring history and refined Beauty?
I would maybe be tempted to find a welder or a steel worker who works offshore, at sea or abroad, these guys have time on their hands and usually enjoy helping people out and they would maybe appreciate a pint or 2 in payback, hopefully!
You can sometime find great friends on these missions, it really depends on how far you can go with this, but Best Regards, Stu
Ps, You may want to speak to someone like Greg in France after you've seen this post on a thorough XJS refurbishment, and keep smiling!!.... Stu

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-photos-71860/