Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 VDP Rear Reading Lamp Fuse & Charging Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 06:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1987 VDP Rear Reading Lamp Fuse & Charging Questions

Greetings,
I have a 1987 VPD that I recently purchased and the rear reading lamps (I am sure they have a more accurate name, but I am unaware of it) do not work, nor does the rear cigarette lighter (I understand they are on the same in-line fused power line. My question is where would this line be located and where is the best place to look for the fuse? I have heard in the boot and tucked under the center console. Any advice to locate is appreciated.

Bonus question - when I use a trickle-charger on the car (I only drive about 4 miles per day which seems not enough to keep battery happy) is there a preferred location for connecting the Negative clamp to the vehicle? I heard that I should avoid connecting the Negative clamp to the battery itself.

Regards,
- Michael

Old 11-24-2015, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

If its an S3 the cigarette lighter (front and rear) is under the footwell transmission hump kick panel on the passenger side in your country. Reading lamps are on a different fuse on the main panel and you would also have lost door lights/map light/trunk light. Maybe just bulbs?

You may get lots of answers to the battery question. My version is that today it doesnt really matter. I think this idea comes from the old days of batteries that vented gas and moisture more to the outside. Pulling the earth off the terminal gave the possibility of a spark and an explosion. These days the risk is minimal as battery construction has changed, but its probably a good practice anyway as putting it on the chassis elsewhere has no downsides. You can also just put a permanent socket wired to your battery (most chargers come with these) so its just a plug in deal and you arent messing with clips at all.

Last edited by yarpos; 11-25-2015 at 12:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mkprator (11-25-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 01:12 AM
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I've heard some refer to those as "opera lights"

If what yarpos posted does not pan out, pull the center console "ski slope" and you're likely to find some unmarked inline fuses there

mkprator (11-29-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Agree, the - cable to a vehicle ground other than the battery - post dates back to jumper cables and older batteries. I never worried about it. Just stood clear when making the connection. usually in the open, the concentration of any battery off gassing isn't enough to pop ! nevertheless, I do respect the concept.

But, a trickle charger juice is far less. No issue to my way of thinking. Adding a port does seem wise and convenient.

I do wonder about the health of your battery and alternator an whether you have
an excessive drain, while not running. Alarm, boot light, etc.

Carl

mkprator (11-29-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

They are lamps for reading, so "Reading lamps" is quite correct.

"Opera Lights" are external, usually on the B or C pillar. These were all the rage on USA cars in the 70s and 80s. A bit of an affectation, perhaps, but I'll wager there's some legitimate history behind them....going back to the days of luxurious hand-built carriages. Workaday coaches and buggies had little or no lighting but the swank carriages...often seen waiting outside the opera house or theater...had ornate decorative lamps.

Just a guess.

Cheers
DD

mkprator (11-30-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, Doug, as good a guess as any. In the horse drawn carriages,
real fire, not mere volts....

I have a pair of beat up kerosene lamps that have mounts. I've never decided
if they were RR or auto. Unfortunately, not brass... Mere black paint and some shining steel.

Carl

mkprator (11-30-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 10:17 AM

Carl,
The car does not have an alarm and I will check the boot light. I have also returned the Reading lamps to their "off" positions and will replace the bulbs (as soon as I can find replacements). My daughter did have one of the lamps aimed down (which I believe automatically turns them on) even though they are not working (which may be the bulbs AND/OR the elusive fuse) and so maybe that was draining the battery. It is funny in that all of the wiring diagrams I have found for the Series III I do not see anything about these reading lamps or the rear cigarette lighter.

BTW - you have been helping me solve another riddle about the VDP not starting in another thread, so "thank you!" for your help in both threads.

- Michael

Originally Posted by JagCad
Agree, the - cable to a vehicle ground other than the battery - post dates back to jumper cables and older batteries. I never worried about it. Just stood clear when making the connection. usually in the open, the concentration of any battery off gassing isn't enough to pop ! nevertheless, I do respect the concept.

But, a trickle charger juice is far less. No issue to my way of thinking. Adding a port does seem wise and convenient.

I do wonder about the health of your battery and alternator an whether you have
an excessive drain, while not running. Alarm, boot light, etc.

Carl

Old 11-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by mkprator
It is funny in that all of the wiring diagrams I have found for the Series III I do not see anything about these reading lamps or the rear cigarette lighter.

Do you have the "S57" wiring guide? They're shown there.

If you don't have the S57 you can download from a link in one of the sticky threads at the top of this section

Cheers
DD

mkprator (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 03:02 PM

Doug,
Thanks for the S57 guide and I looked through it several times and did not see anything in Fig 10.2 about the location of the Reading Light fuse location. However Figure 2.1 is helpful for my Starter Relay issues (so thanks!).

Originally Posted by Doug
Do you have the "S57" wiring guide? They're shown there.

If you don't have the S57 you can download from a link in one of the sticky threads at the top of this section

Cheers
DD

Old 11-30-2015, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by mkprator
Doug,
Thanks for the S57 guide and I looked through it several times and did not see anything in Fig 10.2 about the location of the Reading Light fuse location. However Figure 2.1 is helpful for my Starter Relay issues (so thanks!).
Fig 10.1 shows it in the main fuse panel , fuse 3, 15A

Fig 10.2 shows the main fuse panel, drivers side (for you) lower dash