XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'85 Vanden Plas - Where is washer motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '85 Vanden Plas - Where is washer motor?

My windshield washer motor quit working after our local repair shop tried unsuccessfully to get my cruise control working. No sound when I press the washer button; I did check the fuse, but that is not the problem. My Hanes manual says the motor is mounted on the rear firewall, but I'm embarrassed to admit I can't find it -- can somebody point me in the right direction?

Last edited by jpbmass; 07-05-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Should be integrated in to the tank.

The following users liked this post:
jpbmass (07-06-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 08:27 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Some cars had the washer pump motor mounted in front of the radiator. Look near the oil cooler.

bob

Old 07-06-2017, 06:55 AM
Received 262 Likes on 127 Posts

On your 85 it should be mounted in the lower part of the reservoir, as shown in the attached scan...

I can't think of a reason that the shop could have messed it up looking for a cruise control problem. It may just be unfortunate luck that it failed about the same time they were working on it.

David
shop.EverydayXJ.com

Attached Thumbnails '85 Vanden Plas - Where is washer motor?-001.jpg  
jpbmass (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 07:33 AM

Ah Ha -- I found it in the lower part of the reservoir. First step will be to check that I'm getting a signal to the pump; if so, will remove the reservoir (thanks for the pic) and replace the pump. If no signal, not sure what to do but will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:59 AM

Chances are pretty good that it's in the pump itself. You can pop it out of the reservoir without pulling the entire thing...
If you need a good pump let me know.. I don't think I have it listed on my site, but I do have those on hand..

Thanks
David
(shop.EverydayXJ.com)

Old 07-06-2017, 09:46 AM

David, I'm suspicious of the wiring because both the cruise control and window washer pump are activated by switches on steering column levers, and my local shop, while good with mechanical repairs, is notoriously bad with electrical issues. However, it is easy to put a meter across the inputs to the pump and check out the circuit. If it is the pump, is it just a press fit that can be levered out, or is it more complicated than that?
Jim

Old 07-06-2017, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

My 83 seems to be configured differently. Not sure if it came that way or if an after market pump was fitted. No washing function.

I removed the pump, a simple little black box with hose fittings as well as electrical plugs. It bench tested just fine. But, my rewire must've err'd.

Point.

Bench test it. If no go, get one from David!!

If it works, go to the S57 Jaguar schematics. Easy to read and track.

Carl

Old 07-07-2017, 06:52 AM

Jim,
Yeah the pump is just a press fit into the reservoir. You do have to be cautious with the spigot on the pump when you remove it. If you pull it out at too great an angle it will snap the spigot. There's also a grommet on the reservoir that will leak if it's either torn or omitted when you reinstall...
Carl,
Both types of pumps were used on the Series 3. If you have the long skinny reservoir the pump is mounted next to radiator at the front of the car. That is on the car up to sometime mid 84... Then they changed to the later reservoir with the pump integrated into the reservoir at the latter part of 84... And of course they used different pumps just to make it interesting....

Cheers
David
shop.EverydayXJ.com

jpbmass (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 07:40 AM

OK -- I checked wiring to the pump and determined there is a 12v signal to the pump when the "wash" switch is pressed so my problem is indeed a faulty pump. I have the type of pump that is recessed into the reservoir -- I've removed the wires from the pump (to test) and will next remove the small hose that goes to the washer nozzle. From the picture you sent me, David, it appears that I should pry to the side of the reservoir to remove the pump (instead of up)? Is that a spring clip on top of the pump nozzle that I need to be concerned with?? I'm a little nervous about just trying to horse it out, but hey -- what's the worst that can happen??? BTW, there is an Advanced Autoparts store in our town that claims to have one of these pumps in stock for about $17 -- any reason why that shouldn't work as a replacement?
Jim

Last edited by jpbmass; 07-07-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by jpbmass
OK -- I checked wiring to the pump and determined there is a 12v signal to the pump when the "wash" switch is pressed so my problem is indeed a faulty pump.

Just to clarify....

The pump motor should have 12v "+" whenever the key is "on". Ground to complete the circuit comes from the pushbutton

I have the type of pump that is recessed into the reservoir -- I've removed the wires from the pump (to test) and will next remove the small hose that goes to the washer nozzle. From the picture you sent me, David, it appears that I should pry to the side of the reservoir to remove the pump (instead of up)? Is that a spring clip on top of the pump nozzle that I need to be concerned with?? I'm a little nervous about just trying to horse it out, but hey -- what's the worst that can happen???

Personally I find it easier to remove the entire reservoir (single bolt through the middle) and deal with prying the motor out on the workbench.

No clips that I recall....but I'm on my first cuppa coffee

BTW, there is an Advanced Autoparts store in our town that claims to have one of these pumps in stock for about $17 -- any reason why that shouldn't work as a replacement?
Jim
There's nothing exotic about the pump Jaguar used. Plain as mud. So, if the replacement from the local parts store fits, I can see no reason to avoid using it.

Cheers
DD

jpbmass (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 03:29 PM

Doug - Unable to remove the bolt through the center of reservoir; bolt turned but did not loosen -- must be a hidden nut on back side of fender not visible/accessible from wheel well??? Anyway, was able to pry out the pump so I guess it's a moot point, but am curious how to get this simple bolt out.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,946 Likes on 5,293 Posts

Doug - Unable to remove the bolt through the center of reservoir; bolt turned but did not loosen -- must be a hidden nut on back side of fender not visible/accessible from wheel well??? Anyway, was able to pry out the pump so I guess it's a moot point, but am curious how to get this simple bolt out.
This is the first time since I was in college that I've seen the word "Moot" used correctly.
(';')

Old 07-07-2017, 05:36 PM

Doug - Unable to remove the bolt through the center of reservoir; bolt turned but did not loosen -- must be a hidden nut on back side of fender not visible/accessible from wheel well???
That is correct... you have to access the nut through the wheel well... I can't remember if you can see it with the atmospheric tank in place...

Cheers
David
shop.EverydayXJ.com

Old 07-07-2017, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

must be a hidden nut on back side of fender not visible/accessible from wheel well???

Exactly.

One long arm reaching into the engine bay to attack the bolt. The other long arm reaching into the wheel well to hold the nut with a wrench. it's doable....but if you have short arms you'll need a helper

Cheers
DD

Old 07-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

LnrB:

The word thing. Moot and the phrase from which NIX's name was derived from are similar!!!

Useless trivia, huh???

Carl

Old 07-08-2017, 10:54 AM

Washer pump installed and working -- water on the windscreen!! A pretty simple job, once you understand how to do it. Thanks to everyone for info and encouragement.
Jim

davidboger (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Good work !

Cheers
DD