XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Gauges won't read.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 11:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gauges won't read.

Hi everyone, so besides the fact that my speedo reads 30mph fast, and the tach 1000rpms fast, the sensor gauges won't read or light up at all. So, where do I start? What are the major issue points I can start at and then move out from there? Also, there is a yellow and blue wire that isn't plugged into the cluster, but after examining my wire diagrams, it looks like it's a fog light wire?? Anyone able to flip their gauges down and see what they can see? Will be taking appart all of my switches to make sure they all function properly.

Thanks guys!!

EDIT: probably should have named the thread something different. I'm also having issues with the windows. I hit the switch and click from under the dash. Windows don't even attempt to move. Motors or switches?

Last edited by Jagmare; 06-15-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

1. Yes, open a window thread.

2. The tach needs an internal fix to read V8 pulses. It is set for 6 cylinder pulses.
Google Jaguar-Specialties for detail

3. The speed needs a correction. DD is great, but a bit complex. Jaguar-specialties has a simpler method.

Carl

Old 06-16-2015, 12:04 PM

With the speedo, it's cable driven and I got the 90* adapter and a new cable. I opened the speedo to clean it out and must have messed something up because when the car is off it sits at 15mph, then when I start driving it changes.

I believe his conversion module for the tach is the same as what I bought directly from suncoast. Talked with them and the gentleman told me to use the white wire from the ignition cylinder how would it correct the signal though if the signal doesn't run through the coil? Or does it go through the coil?

roger that on the window thread.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:19 PM

Anything anyone?

Old 06-18-2015, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

Both:

1. Cable driven speedo. OK, a lot different. Yes, if it is at rest and reads 15 MPH, something inside is wrong. Perhaps as simple as the hand improperly set on the driven post.

2. Look in the schematic. I think I sent you one. The tach needs two wires. The white one is indeed as Jim told you. It supplies ignition on power to the tach. The other wire, goes to coil-. That is the ground leg. The dizzy sends on/off to the coil for ignition. That same signal drives the tach. Sun Coast unit modifies it from I6 pulses to V8 pulses.

If the unit is not in, the tach will read if wired as above, but the numbers will be wrong.

Gotta think the logic of the circuits to diagnose them.

Well bum starter # 3 packed up to return. The first one is just wore out I suppose.
2 & 3 went bum quickly!!!

Carl

Old 06-18-2015, 02:17 PM

1. Cable driven speedo. OK, a lot different. Yes, if it is at rest and reads 15 MPH, something inside is wrong. Perhaps as simple as the hand improperly set on the driven post.

Will pull it back apart and see about getting it set properly.

2. Look in the schematic. I think I sent you one. The tach needs two wires. The white one is indeed as Jim told you. It supplies ignition on power to the tach. The other wire, goes to coil-. That is the ground leg. The dizzy sends on/off to the coil for ignition. That same signal drives the tach. Sun Coast unit modifies it from I6 pulses to V8 pulses.

I have tried tying into the white both off the coil and the gauge itself with negative results. You did send me that page and I did go back and download the one from our sticky. Perhaps I had it tied in wrong, so I will go back and try again. After I get the starter fixed. Not trying to eat my flexplate.

What about my sensor gauges? With the mess behind there I'm not even sure where to start looking. Still wading into the electrical waters.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Jagmare:

Which gauges?

Oil pressure

Voltage

fuel

temperature

Read some more as I am doing to resolve my back feed to start circuit issue!!!

Carl

Old 06-20-2015, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Tach needs a conversion

Send it to Red Line Gauge Works in CA... they will put in modern V8 innards. S1 tachs are different... wiring for power passes through the tach to even allow
the engine to run - white wire going into tach and white going out...

Speedo is screwed up if at 15 mph at rest... did you take off the pointer arrow? If so, set to 0 mph and try again. The different gears in the trans
will cause it to read wrong... speedo heads on S1's are calibrated to specific rear end ratios/trans ratios...you have changed one of them with the new 700R trans! Read the tag on the IRS for the ratio or turn the driveshaft with the wheels off the ground... how may turns of the shaft per one tire revolution? Then purchase the
correct speedo gear for your 700R... that will get you very close to correct speed...

Gauges, oil pressure should read correctly if you have the correct senders.. temp should read correctly with the correct sender..

Fuel and amp/voltage are different and have a voltage stabilizer in there that can cause incorrect readings but not total failure.. sounds like the
PCB lands are dirty or the wiring is causing problems?

Get the oil pressure to read correctly first, then temp... then onto the others...

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 06-20-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:29 PM

Welcome home Roger! I reset the Speedo to 0 at rest so I will see if that helps and then go from there. Will send you an email update later tonight. I'll look into sending the tech out. The sensor gauges aren't working still, but after cleaning and greasing the switches for lights and wipers and such, I know have back lighting for the gauges which I have not had at all, so that is an awesome improvement. Had to pull my starter though so not sure if the gauges are working properly. The fuel level sensor isn't reading and I know I have a full tank so I would assume the others aren't working either.