XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to remove ignition cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to remove ignition cylinder

i need to figure out how to remove the ignition cylinder on my 1976 Jaguar XJ12L

Old 08-04-2017, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

"ignition cylinder" ? Not sure what you mean?

My guess is ignition switch!!! I recently did remove and replace the ignition switch in my 83! Probably similar if not exact.

Drop the driver side scuttle panel to expose the underside. Remove the shroud from under the steering wheel. Remove the cover around the opening for the key entry point.

Now, you will find a connector of the harness to the rear of the ignition switch. Unplug it.

Now, the switch and lock are secured in place by two "breakaway bolts.
The task is to back them out sans heads! I found that a house wire twist connector fits the shoulder of the two just right. I drilled a small hold in the nut I used to allow a nail to be inserted for twisting leverage.
Not hard. Mine were not tight at ll.

Now, the whole shebang can be removed..

Mine was a worn out mess.

I'll hold up on replacement til asked.

Carl

The following users liked this post:
yachtmanbuttson (06-09-2018)
Old 08-16-2017, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

no need to remove the steering wheel lock assembly.

See pictures below.

Attached Thumbnails how to remove ignition cylinder-xj-ignition-switch-removal.jpg   how to remove ignition cylinder-xj-iginition-switch.jpg  
Old 08-16-2017, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

From old Jag Lovers article:
"Removing Ignition Lock

Alan Howard
Patrick Cherry writes:
My 'main' set of keys to my 1982 California-spec XJ6 was stolen last year. Wife has been using the 'spare' set of keys. Now the 'spare' key is missing in action. Dealer says he 'cannot even get key blanks for something that old' much less cut a key with only the vin. The local locksmith says he can cut a new key if I can bring him the cylinder (or the complete car...but if I could drive the car, I wouldn't be posting this, would I???). Can someone please advise me how to remove the ignition switch assembly? I have dropped the bezel and disconnected the electrics. There are two peened pins where the steering lock part of the ignition switch enters the steering column; do I have to drill those out? Do I have alternatives? TIA, Patrick Cherry

From Alan Howard:

It is quite easy to remove the steering lock. The 2 peened head screws are in fact bolts that had a very narrow machined taper below the head so that when tightening the heads shear off too prevent theft. To undo these screws just use a small chisel and hammer and they will come undone easily, sometimes they are loose already. You may find that with the 2 bolts removed you will not have enough room to pull the lock assembly all the way out. You will have to lower the steering column a small amount. To lower the column look up underneath and you will see 2 bolts that hold the column in place, loosen these bolts as much as possible but do not remove them because there are all sorts of spacers and rubber bushes there to fall out. With these 2 bolts loosened you will just have enough room to withdraw the lock. With the lock out you will see a small Phillips head screw that holds the actual ignition switch onto the back of the lock, remove this and then pull out the switch. Inside the recess where the switch was you will see a paper sticker, the key code is written on this sticker. take this to a locksmith and they will easily and cheaply be able to cut a new key."

Old 08-16-2017, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

he wants to remove the ignition cylinder, not the lock.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

The terminology can get mixed up here.

To me the "ignition cylinder" and "ignition lock cylinder" are the same and refer to the part where you actually insert your ignition key. It is part of the steering wheel lock assembly.

The "ignition switch" is the round plastic electrical device with wires that fits onto the rear of the ignition lock cylinder. Purely electric function; nothing to do with locking anything.

When you insert your key and turn it you are operating the lock cylinder which A) rotates ignition switch and B) engages/disengages the steering wheel lock.

If you remove the lock assembly as described you might then be able to remove the cylinder, or perhaps a locksmith could....to make a new key, for example. Not sure, never tried.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Roger Mabry (08-17-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

i thought you were talking about the ignition COIL, some overseas guys call it that!

Old 08-10-2019, 06:16 PM
Default Thanks

The cylinder that connects to steering column how do i disconnect that. Can just tap it out? Looks like it just plugs in. Looking at the illustration thats what it seems like

Old 08-11-2019, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Luism:

Sure hope you have solved the issue.

Just follow my detailed post. Now, you have the "mechanical part in hand. seek out an experienced locksmith in your town.
Mine use an Ilco blank.FT6r and cut a duplicate for me.

Rough and ready.; he can drill out the tumbler. And replace it with another and keys to fit.

OR: Find another "switch". NOS or good used, with keys, Install it and toss the one that you have no keys for

David Boger of everydayxj had a NOS for my car. Might have something for you.

Carl. .

Old 08-11-2019, 09:49 PM
Received 185 Likes on 88 Posts

Hi Snoriega,
The there are two shear bolts / screws that hold the cylinder in the column. If you look on the side of the cylinder you can see them, two domed "rivet" looking things with two dimples ( they looked like a regular bolt / screw until installed and the heads snap off when tightened to torque ) as an anti thief measure. See posts # 2 & #4 for some of the ways they can be removed.

On my parts XJ6, they were already loose enough that I was able to remove them both by using the side point of a small straight blade screwdriver to spin them out. Literally gone in 60 seconds ! A sharp punch or nail might also do the trick. I didn't have any keys so I took the lock cylinder to a local really old school locksmith who was able to make a set ( don't know if he used the number inside the lock, the car's vin, or just his Mark I eyeballs !

I'll try to up pictures tomorrow if you need them

Cheers,
Brian

Old 08-12-2019, 06:03 AM
Default Keys

Yup, finally got the whloe assembly out

Old 08-12-2019, 06:06 AM
Default Keys

Thanks for the good info. It was exactly the way you said it needed to be done.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:40 PM
Default Schematic

Can someone send me a illustration on or schematic of a 1970 xj6 jaguar ignition assembly. Thanks