XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This was incredibly sobering...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 01:14 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default This was incredibly sobering...

I don't know if anyone has seen this or knows if its true or just a Chinese replica, but nevertheless its very very VERY sobering to see...

I have been on the fence on whether i want to bite the bullet and have a roll cage put in and this has placed me firmly on the side of having one made... (i know this is an xj40 but its newer than our cars and one would assume it should be stronger...)

I also understand this is not a scientific crash test with all the fancy equipment and sensors but still how far from reality can this be?

thoughts?

The following users liked this post:
Wannabeted (04-21-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

My first thought is, Don't run into crash barriers at 70mph!
I'm also thinking, if you put a cage in your car and have a crash like this one, it'll just hurt more before you die.
(';')

Old 02-21-2015, 02:24 PM
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

110 km/h against a solid barrier? It is the end, no matter in which car you are. A roll cage will not help.
However, it is true that modern cars are much more safe. There is an impressive video on youtube of a Volvo 940 (solid brick, right?) crash agaisnt a Renault Modus. The Modus performs much better.
But then, I rather prefer to drive my old cars (or a 940).

Old 02-21-2015, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Typical for the era. Cars are constructed in a much safer way now than they used to be. The XJ40 was designed in the early 80's and it shows. Today's vehicles have very thick frame rails and crumple zones that the XJ40 and most other cars of this era didn't have. One of the first 80's cars to focus on safety and use high strength energy absorbing steel was the Mercedes-Benz W126. As a car enthusiasts, I believe everyone should own or at least drive a W126. Its still one of the most solid and best driving and handling cars every pressed. I often hear people talking about how they're heavy and built like a tank. Actually they are very light weight and built like a race car.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:35 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

exactly, im not saying im going to try what they did in the video.. but id rather have a rollcage to stiffen the chassis as much as possible. Ive been in a few accidents (none at fault) due to idiotic drivers and theyre everywhere. Im just saying id feel safer with a roll cage than without no matter the cost of it

Old 02-21-2015, 02:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A roll cage is not going to stop the steering wheel from crushing you. Everything from the front bumper to the firewall is going to try and get itself into the back seat during a head on collision. You would have to weld the roll cage behind the dashboard, and even then, its likely not going to stop whats coming.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (02-21-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 03:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The crush zone is too long.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:22 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Where's a dam airbag, when you need one! LOL!
This is why most barrier designs are made to take most of the impact, now.
Check out this head on!

Old 02-21-2015, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

The difference in the distortion and penetration of the passenger compartment is pretty amazing in the old chevy/new chevy video.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

we do get smarter in car building ,50yrs of development really shows.

did you know 60yrs ago a lot of race cars didnt even have roll bars of any type, and they used an old cloth helment with aviators goggles.

and of course many guys died.

open wheel cars were not for the faint of heart.

back then men were men,and dont care if i do die, yup things have changed!

a few years back, around 10yrs, some of the super elite got together and said the best way to lower air polution was do away with personal transportation, and it would save more lives at the same time.

and today NASCAR has wrecks at close to 200mph and live thru it, talk about crash development.

there is rumors in Texas mandating about street racing(Texas is the capitol of street racing in the world), that they would lose any lisence, wether a drivers liscence or a legitimate racing liscence and other automobile liscence.(sorry for spelling,i'm writing to fast).

Texas money buys a lot real fast cars, 1000hp + is quite common , and they get together in the late hours,and HAVE AT IT BOYS!

you have burn off that adreneline somehow, or things could out of hand in other areas!

i dont think i'd like that idea, but who knows what the future brings, we are in a fast changing world!

Last edited by ronbros; 02-21-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Giovanni:

I was going to mention that old Chev vs new Chev crash. Sad, I wouldn't mind that 59 in my drive. No SMOG needed!!! Yahoo!!

Yes, there is TV series on street racing. Some really fast cars. LA was once very much into street racing. Way back to the 40's. Remember the term racing for "pinks"? CA titles were pink then!! Winner goes home with two cars, loser walks or hitches a ride.

When I was a kid, it wasn't street racing, but a game called "ditchem". Fast car helpful, but not an absolute. Because of local politics, the cops got 40's Plymouths as cruisers. Slow as snails and with "spaghetti' crankshafts might not last a chase. Pal Bob bought a decrepit 32 Plymouth with rattling rods. I considered it, but naah on its way to booom. Bob rustled up a Dodge stationary engine. Don't ask, don't tell in an other form, I think, but sure don't know. Actually 254 CI Chrylser 6!! tons of torque and with the low gears in the old Plymouth's rear, t was a bear in acceleration. Stab and steer corner to corner. Few could catch him, cops included. My T with fast shifting was good for about a half block. So, with ingenuity, I could beat some. Then The cops got a Chrysler Windsor with a straight 8. Big, clumsy, but faster and durable... it became known as the "Green Hornet". Chivalry in force. a cp would not arrest one unless he was nabbed in a fair chase. Most cops knew the kid's cars.
Bob became a cop along with frank, another former ditche'm guy.

Carl