XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new member question about xjc

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default new member question about xjc

Good evening. I have always wanted a jag like I had when I was a kid, about a '78 xj12. The car I have my eye on is an xjc, either a 6, 12 or v8 conversion. The goal is to find one to drive on special occasions, to church or sunday drives. I have done a bunch of research but have a few questions I am hoping some members could assist me with.
1) I have notice a few for sale that are missing either the passenger side second row glass or either side door glass. Due to these cars limited numbers and these items being the few items not shared with other xj's is the side glass nearly impossible to find? I notice one passenger second row glass for sale for $750 on eBay but that was the only one I found. Or is the glass flat and can be custom cut/made by a auto glass place?
2) These cars have the potential to go up in value, is a v-8 conversion the kiss of death for maintaining the car's value or will they still maintain or increase in value even though they have a v-8?
3) If I find one with no rust and relatively good shape should I not worry about singular issues like a piston with low power or one needing some suspension work because these are items that can always be fixed after putting some money towards it?
4) And lastly, is the trim nearly impossible to find, especially the two pieces between the side and back window which finishes the transition from the vinyl roof or is there a place to find this or get custom trim made?

Any help the forum members can provide would be much appreciated, and the sooner the help the quicker I can get one :) If any one has a decent one for sale in the $10k-$15k range please reach out.

Regards,
Erik

Old 04-02-2018, 09:27 PM
Received 261 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by trojian
Good evening. I have always wanted a jag like I had when I was a kid, about a '78 xj12. The car I have my eye on is an xjc, either a 6, 12 or v8 conversion. The goal is to find one to drive on special occasions, to church or sunday drives. I have done a bunch of research but have a few questions I am hoping some members could assist me with.
1) I have notice a few for sale that are missing either the passenger side second row glass or either side door glass. Due to these cars limited numbers and these items being the few items not shared with other xj's is the side glass nearly impossible to find? I notice one passenger second row glass for sale for $750 on eBay but that was the only one I found. Or is the glass flat and can be custom cut/made by a auto glass place?
The glass and complicated mechanisms to raise and lower it are some of the trickiest items to find for XJC's. The car is a series II xj6 with longer doors, otherwise apart from rubber seals parts are relatively easy to find. The glass is curved so it is not easy to have cut. Back seat and Interior door cards etc are unique to the XJC
2) These cars have the potential to go up in value, is a v-8 conversion the kiss of death for maintaining the car's value or will they still maintain or increase in value even though they have a v-8?
Depends how well you execute the 'restomod'. If you find a good original ca it would probably hurt its value. if you are bringing back a project it might be good to modernise the drivetrain, preferably with a Jaguar engine...
3) If I find one with no rust and relatively good shape should I not worry about singular issues like a piston with low power or one needing some suspension work because these are items that can always be fixed after putting some money towards it?
These cars require a lot of TLC, the bodywork wasn't very well built or robust and rust is a problem. The mechanicals are shared with the 1, II and III series xj's and are relatively easy to source new or used.
4) And lastly, is the trim nearly impossible to find, especially the two pieces between the side and back window which finishes the transition from the vinyl roof or is there a place to find this or get custom trim made?
Getting harder to find at sensible prices...like all old and rare cars there are plenty of people trying to make a killing selling hard to find parts.
Any help the forum members can provide would be much appreciated, and the sooner the help the quicker I can get one If any one has a decent one for sale in the $10k-$15k range please reach out.
Regards,
Erik

The following users liked this post:
trojian (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 01:10 AM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi,
From what I hear the XJC is the mostly likely Jag to experience substantial price rises in the future.
As always it is the best in original condition that will command the stratospheric prices while the modified will be left behind in the wake.
I am quite new to Series II Jags having just bought, on impulse, a 78 Daimler V12. I am very familiar with Series IIIs, XK8s and X300 Jags. First impressions? The Series III is a vast improvement on the Series II in many ways. The mechanical excellence, poise, balance and beauty of the Series II is largely let down by poor build quality and poor fittings hidden beneath a good looking interior. The XJC is no doubt a great car but for me, my choice would be a late Series III Sovereign with either the 6 or 12.
Our X300 lacks the real beauty and 'personality' of the Series cars but has been the most wonderful robust and comfortable cat. What a shame the series cars did not have the quality of the X300

not sure if this helps but above all, if you go ahead, stretch yourself and buy the very best one you can afford. Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.

regards
Al

The following 2 users liked this post by Alan Lindsay:
ronbros (04-11-2018), trojian (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 06:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. I hear you about performance and reliability but the looks are too beautiful. My biggest concern is the parts relating to the side of the car (windows and doors). If those are missing or get damaged it seems like you have to buy an entire parts car to repair/replace these components.

Have you found any aftermarket parts relating to these car?

Regards,

Erik

Old 04-03-2018, 01:54 PM
Received 627 Likes on 321 Posts

.... The goal is to find one to drive on special occasions, to church or sunday drives. Erik
Hi Erik and welcome to the Forums. The sentence above means to me taking the family and wearing good clothes. The absolute worst time to break down. XJCs are beautiful and ownership is a rewarding experience. But in order to have a reliable car for your Sunday drive you can go one of three ways:

(A) Spend lots of money and get a really nice car to begin with. There are stories of great cars going for a song but unless you want to rip off some poor widow that doesn't know what is worth, be prepared to spend some money. Your concerns about the side glass and trim goes away with a really nice car.

(B) If you are a reasonably good mechanic and have enough time you can fix it up to a nice driver with the help of the Jaguar Forums.

(C) Spend a boatload of money to pay someone to do the restoration.

I agree with the post above that you might want to start out with a nice series III 4-door. A really nice rust free (or pretty near) car can be bought for $10k or under. Enjoy the Sunday drives and learn the ropes of classic Jaguar ownership. Then go find the XJC of your dreams.

Jeff

Old 04-08-2018, 07:14 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

An LS1-engined XJ6C sold for $100,000 on bringatrailer about a year or so ago... you would expect the engine swap to devalue the car, but if it is done well and someone REALLY wants it, who knows?

I have been weighing options with engine swaps and upgrades with mine too. The car runs and drives, but leaks everywhere, smokes on accel, and the trans is horrible. I have considered an upgrade to a V12 HE out of an XJS, but not sure I want the headaches and further complication of going to fuel injection. I have landed at staying with the original 4.2 and swapping the head for the later series 3 with big valves (found one completely rebuilt and ready to install for $300 on CL) and I'm going to run triple SU carbs and swap to a 700R4 transmission for better shifting, better ratios, and an OD.
My car is pretty nice aside from the powertrain, and I even got a $3500 reciept for an engine rebuild from 15 years ago, but I'm certain all the shop did was power wash and tune it and give it back. The guy I bought it from was a clueless non car guy.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:15 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi,
I am far from an expert, in fact I'm really just a novice but I won't let fear or lack of intelligence prevent me from offering you an opinion
The 4.2 XJ 6 engine is a robust lump of iron and aluminium that is not only relatively straight forward but is backed up by a huge supply of reasonably priced and a wealth of knowledge.
It therefore might be relatively inexpensive getting the existing engine back into reasonable condition with added bonus of retaining your car's authenticity.
As you state that the engine is running albeit smokey perhaps even a 'short back and sides' (rings, bearings and a head job) may vastly transform the car for a minimum of expense though others on this forum might decry it as a cheap fix.
As for the gearbox, again they are common and available, so whether you have yours rebuilt (my choice), get a reconditioned exchange or take a punt on a second hand one, you have practical and affordable options available.
Of course, to go down the above path is to bring the Jaguar back someways to it's former glory.
To pursue your other ideas, that is to install a V12, V8, triple expansion steam engine or nuclear reactor is to go down a completely different but equally valid path. If that was your decision, how far towards a hot rod you go is your business and dependent on your time, your wallet, your commitment and how drivable you want the final product to be.
If the job is poorly done your car will basically be a wreck, if well done, a fine machine but of little relationship to the original car.
My feelings is that to re-engine purely to replace a smokey existing engine would be a very complex and frustrating way of reinventing the wheel. So I guess in a long winded fashion I believe you are making the correct choice. As to what head you use, very much your choice. Many fine cars have used carburettors so injection is not essential but I'm sure with a little effort you will have a car which is elegant, fast ( in context) and a pleasure to drive.
Al
regards
al

Old 04-11-2018, 11:09 AM
Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

I just did a search query in my ordering systems.

- Pilkington doesn't sell the side windows for the S1-S2 coupes anymore.
Windscreens are available, anything else isn't.

But, I managed to find the EUROcodes for the wanted glass panels.
The glass codes for the side windows would be:

Front Left: 4312LGNC2FD
Front Right: 4312RGNC2FD
Rear Left: 4312LGNC2RQO
Rear Right: 4312RGNC2RQO
Any car glass shop can translate those numbers to your car. If there still is a factory that makes them....

All special order for that matter....

Old 04-11-2018, 11:22 AM
Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Lindsay
Our X300 lacks the real beauty and 'personality' of the Series cars but has been the most wonderful robust and comfortable cat. What a shame the series cars did not have the quality of the X300
Don't forget, the Series 3 was the last hand-built XJ. Quality really varied a lot, but improved a lot also when Ford took over the company from British Leyland. Therefor, I chose an 86 V12 Sovereign and it hasn't let me down yet.
Agreed, you don't buy a V12 Cat for the incredible mileage, but the ride is worth every gallon or liter it guzzles. Just give it some love and attention on a regular basis and it will not fail you.
My former 2005 Audi A6 Avant 2.4 with CVT transmission, although it got me everywhere I wanted for 300.000 km, couldn't match the feeling i get from driving my XJ V12. You just have to understand that basically, you'll be riding around in a car that was designed in the early 60's and has never been really upgraded a part from fuel injection and some other minor stuff.
Treat her as a feisty old lady and she'll give you a run for your money all day, every day.
Did I mention I love my XJ already ?

Doug (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Lindsay
[left]

I went from a Series III (and older XJS) to an X300.

I drove (and enjoyed) the X300 for many years; great car in many respects. But....now I'm back in a Series III.

For all its improvements the X300 just never seemed very "Jaguar-ish" to me.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-12-2018, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch-Cat
You just have to understand that basically, you'll be riding around in a car that was designed in the early 60's and has never been really upgraded a part from fuel injection and some other minor stuff.

Series III Jaguar: The most modern of all antique autombiles

Cheers
DD

Old 04-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yup!!!

Re enthused here. After much wrestling hasseling and enlisting political
help, my Jaguar is registered for the road !!!

I went on errands in it yesterday. It fired immediately in the garage and gurgled a bit til the temps came up, the mixture leaned and the idle dropped to it's smooth 500 rpm.

At the market, a grey haired gent inquired, "you have had that car a while". "Not since new, only since 01". "It sure looks great". and gee, it is in need of a wash job!!!

I fiddled a bit. Weather fair. Slipped the trip computer out. It had gone in to an 8888 hissy fit!

Opened and reconnected the several connectors. Did an ignition switch on/off sequence. OK, accepted the time reset. Other functions went to "0". Puzzlement for a moment. Aha, no data, that is what they should show!!!

Back to where it was. time OK. O'wise confused by receiving 8 cylinder input while expecting 6 cylinder input!!!

Cleaned out the debris from the cubby, Cleaned the windows. No wash job, til the weather settles down.

Of all th4e cars I've driven or owned over my many years, this one, foibles and all is at the top. Shared with a few others, though!!!

Carl

Doug (04-12-2018)