Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not been around much

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Not been around much

I know, not really jag related, but just saying hello, just got back from the UK. 3 years ago my grandfather passed away and my grandmother recently moved to a nursing home, so i had to go (with my 74 year old mum) to clear out the attic and cellars... about 70 years worth of stuff, some treasures, but mostly junk and paperwork, not aure why anyone would keep credit card reciept from 1965, but oh well, all gone now!!! I did find the trains my grandad used to have was a kid, so those are being shipped back! All in all not a fun a trip! But wife surprised me when I got back with a new toy !!! She got me an 06 f150 fx4, really cheered me up after that trip. Im not really a truck guy, but have been looking for something to tow the boat wiith (which is almost done now too) attached are a couple pics of the truck, needs a few little.things but i love it!!!

i think my wifes a keeper!!!

Last edited by Darrenmb; 02-18-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-18-2018, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Maybe a tad too big for our UK country lanes !!

A few years ago, however, these were popular in the UK much to my puzzlement. The answer was that they were exempt from our "Benefit-in-Kind" income tax laws, especially those with rear seats like yours, (can get the whole family in). It didn't take long before the Government saw the over-taxed herd heading for this particular gate so the gate was quickly slammed shut.

So we don't see all that many now, although they are popular with traders that do a lot of outside-type work, like tree-felling, hedging, fencing, and gardening services. I see a couple nearly everyday around here. However, Bentleys are much more common, as they're made just up the road !

Old 02-18-2018, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

Hi, Darren,
I had sort of wondered what happened to you, but eventually people move on from forums like this anyway and I thought maybe you had.

Good Job on that pickup! Wifey Knows YOU NEED SOMETHING TO TOW THE BOAT!!
(';')

Old 02-19-2018, 04:44 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrenmb
about 70 years worth of stuff, some treasures, but mostly junk and paperwork, not aure why anyone would keep credit card reciept from 1965, but oh well, all gone now!!! I did find the trains my grandad used to have was a kid, so those are being shipped back! All in all not a fun a trip!
I had a couple of similar trips back to NZ last year to clean out my Dad's shed, every bill & reciept for phone, electricity etc was saved(60 years worth). I don't think he ever threw anything away.

I shipped back a box of tools with centimental value (and useful as well). My Mum sold the family home about a month ago and had the model sailing ships my Dad made when I was in early primary school shipped to me.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Lots of stuff here.

1. I have loved pickups from early on. And that one sure is a beauty. Wifeys often know best.

2. I watch "American Pickers" on TV quite often. Yesterday, one middle aged couple was "lightening the load". Collections of stuff from parents and grand parents. They seeking not to leave so much for their kids to deal with.

3. As I've seen four score and eight, I'm dumping lots of paper. And some hard goods of dubious use.

Carl

Old 02-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Are emission tests an issue where you are ?

A grand mess here. And, both my cars up this year!!!!

Carl.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

looks like a Buick !

Old 02-20-2018, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Maybe a tad too big for our UK country lanes !!

A few years ago, however, these were popular in the UK much to my puzzlement. The answer was that they were exempt from our "Benefit-in-Kind" income tax laws, especially those with rear seats like yours, (can get the whole family in). It didn't take long before the Government saw the over-taxed herd heading for this particular gate so the gate was quickly slammed shut.

So we don't see all that many now, although they are popular with traders that do a lot of outside-type work, like tree-felling, hedging, fencing, and gardening services. I see a couple nearly everyday around here. However, Bentleys are much more common, as they're made just up the road !
haha. Like I said, just got back from Uk, grandmother lives in London.. no way in hell i would attempt to drive something this big around there... the bus drivers amaze me!!!

Old 02-20-2018, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by o1xjr
I had a couple of similar trips back to NZ last year to clean out my Dad's shed, every bill & reciept for phone, electricity etc was saved(60 years worth). I don't think he ever threw anything away.

I shipped back a box of tools with centimental value (and useful as well). My Mum sold the family home about a month ago and had the model sailing ships my Dad made when I was in early primary school shipped to me.
i have kept all my grandads tools, as he used to be a cabinet builder, only power tools we found were a brand new looking jig saw and a small black and decker cordless screwdriver. Everything else was pure old school, im talking planes that look like a 4x4 with a doorknob! Brace and bit, etc. Thats all being shipped back!!

Old 02-20-2018, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Are emission tests an issue where you are ?

A grand mess here. And, both my cars up this year!!!!

Carl.
nope, no testing in Florida, probably why so many vehicles here are nothing but duct tape and chewing gum!!!

Old 02-20-2018, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose
looks like a Buick !
i hope it is more reliablethan a Buick, blown up 4 3.8s in my time!!!

but seriously, i thought same thing, someone put an lmc trucks grill on front, supposed to look like a lincoln, but Buick is what i thought too

Old 02-20-2018, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, I like those old tools as well. I have more than a few. Including a spoke shave and a draw knife. Although they look much alike, they are different! And two Diston hahd saws. Circa 36" blades. One rip and one cross cut. Sharp and work ready. We used one the other day. A patch job on the back fence. Billy "escaped through a gap! Cut off some bad wood, to make room for better. Easier to hand saw than rig an extension for a power saw.

I watch the Woodwright, an old tech carpenter. No power tools at all. Does amazing work with the old stuff. Including the block planes you describe. Many with differing knives for differing tasks. Including moulding. So much to learn there. Grains of different specie, strengths and weaknesses. Often takes a chunk of log and starts to shape a piece. A hatchet or a fro. Then finer tools. The bits alone are a field of their own.

Carl