XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only High Beams?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 11:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Only High Beams?

Swapped out the main headlights with LED's and a buddy cleaned the fuse boxes that run along the front of the car (will be changing those out to mini fuses over the glass ones). It was functioning fine when I first put them in, but now it seems that I have high beams only. Playing with the switch will sometimes drop them back into lowbeam, but I'm not hearing the relay click like it did before. I'm assuming that's the problem area, but I don't know if it's bad or if it has to do with the resistance. I know when I swapped my 88 Dodge to all LED, I had to change out the turn signal relays, and on my mothers 08 Scion, when we did LED headlights, her high beam indicator no longer comes on. Are there generic relays I can get to replace that? Also, it seems the diagrams that have been posted with links in the forums no longer work so if anyone has access to those or working links if you could toss them my way.

Old 03-19-2022, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,802 Likes on 7,120 Posts

I'm pretty sure the Series II headlight circuit is about the same as a Series III...which I am familiar with. Assuming that.....

No relay click suggests a faulty relay, poor connections at the relay, or failure of the stalk switch....which is nothing more than a metal tab at the bottom of the stalk which grounds the headlight relay to "trigger" it. The tab may just need some cleaning

The relay is not relay generic, as it is a "latching" type that responds to a momentary event.....in this case the ground from the stalk switch.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (03-22-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 12:01 PM

So it’s clicking again but I still only have high beams. I’ve swapped the passenger low beam fuse for a mini fuse and if I unplug the high beam fuse, it goes off when in high beam. Might have to swap all the fuses over to see what’s going on.

wiring color I have blue/red wire to low beams, blue/white to high. Center lights are 2 prong with only black and blue/white.

I also have red/yellow that don’t seem to connect to anything so idk if those were for fog lights or if they’re supposed to be connected to the inside lights

Last edited by Maki; 03-19-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2022, 06:34 PM
Received 222 Likes on 120 Posts

I rewired my headlights (all of them) so the original fuses (whose box was replaced with a modern spade type one) just supplied power to individual relays that sent direct power to the headlamps. \So, no more high current thru the headlamp switch. Never had another issue. Oh, in addition to upgrading the wire capacity for lamp feeds from the relays, I also ran all new grounds from all the light units to new sound locations, and especially, the ground that feeds off the high beam relay. Worked like e treat for me. Ian

Old 03-19-2022, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,802 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Maki
So it’s clicking again but I still only have high beams. I’ve swapped the passenger low beam fuse for a mini fuse and if I unplug the high beam fuse, it goes off when in high beam.
Don't quite follow

It might be that the low beam filaments in both outboard headlamps are burned out. Or maybe you've lost ground to the outboard lamps. The grounds are probably on either side of the radiator.

wiring color I have blue/red wire to low beams, blue/white to high. Center lights are 2 prong with only black and blue/white.

That sounds right

I also have red/yellow that don’t seem to connect to anything so idk if those were for fog lights or if they’re supposed to be connected to the inside lights
Fog lamps

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 03-19-2022 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2022, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by iramphal
I rewired my headlights (all of them) so the original fuses (whose box was replaced with a modern spade type one) just supplied power to individual relays that sent direct power to the headlamps. \So, no more high current thru the headlamp switch. Never had another issue. Oh, in addition to upgrading the wire capacity for lamp feeds from the relays, I also ran all new grounds from all the light units to new sound locations, and especially, the ground that feeds off the high beam relay. Worked like e treat for me. Ian
This is what I’m thinking of doing. Now that it’s dark, I can see the dash lights. When the low beams are supposed to be on, it’s got the high beam indicator on but it’s dim like there’s a loop somewhere feeding the high beam signal back through the low beam wires. Think I’m going to just run a single 20amp fuse on each setting as I know LEDs won’t pull as much as the Halogens did.

just saw your post Doug. The only ground I have off of the battery is to the body on the passenger fender and I assume everything else is grounded to that, which in itself is a problem. I’ll probably be working on redoing the wiring tomorrow and I’ll keep y’all updated.

Last edited by Maki; 03-19-2022 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-19-2022, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,995 Likes on 5,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Maki
just saw your post Doug. The only ground I have off of the battery is to the body on the passenger fender and I assume everything else is grounded to that, which in itself is a problem. I’ll probably be working on redoing the wiring tomorrow and I’ll keep y’all updated.
Um, not supposed to be that way for headlights.
My series 2, I freely admit is not OEM by any means, and has been "modified" in Numerous places probably including High Beam ground.

The Left beam is grounded to the top of the radiator mount by a Bullet Connector.

The Right high beam ground has been screwed to the mount by someone in the deep dark past.

I have not had any trouble with these grounds but it might be worth your while to re-ground both your high beams just to be sure you have a good circuit.

Bad grounds are the Nemesis of these cars, pure and simple.
(';')

Old 03-19-2022, 08:24 PM

My passenger beam was grounded the same way as your second pictures. lol

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (03-19-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 07:09 PM

Ok so playing around some more, I want to post some clarification on things that happen:

when everything is hooked up, turning lights on results in full time high beam with the indicator light on but dim. When the high beam lever is hit, the indicator gets brighter.

with the inline fuse pulled to the passenger side off the blue/white wire, the drivers light turns on high beam with indicator off and when the lever is pulled, the light switches to low beam with the indicator light on.

I’m thinking that with the “help” I had wiring the drivers side that I reversed the wires and when both lights are connected, it’s sending feedback through the system so that both HBs are on. After typing this I’m going to see if pulling the fuses to the drivers side will result in normal operation and tomorrow I’ll pull the lights to verify wiring as well as start working on the inside lights if all is functioning correctly.

Old 03-21-2022, 07:28 PM

Double post

Last edited by Maki; 03-21-2022 at 07:45 PM.