XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salt Flats or bust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Salt Flats or bust?

I have an '85 VDP that I paid a few hundred dollars for, non-running. It had two bent valves and possibly stuck injectors, and still hasn't been reassembled. I am lucky enough to live 5 hours from Bonneville, and have always dreamed of building a car to see what it could accomplish. I have a few old American cars I could use, but feel like the Series 3 would be fun. I want to try to retrofit its interior into my S1 anyway, and the class I would run is the Gas-Sedan, which limits my options but that isn't a bad thing. Basically, it would be a mildly modified S3 when done. Thoughts? I know there are some purists here who scoff at the idea of a racecar, but in its condition, it's not worth the money to repair (both tanks are rusted, and one side has significant rust as well). The XK6 has proven itself on the track, and with the long stroke of the 4.2l and a final drive of 2.88 (at least if I remember right) it would do well on the salt.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Sounds like fun to me, but I'm not the one doing it!

The only question I'd have about the 4.2L is the lack of top end/high RPM range.

Some inspiration:
Name:  hrdp_1012_06_o2010_bonneville_speed_weekjaguar_xj6.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  95.5 KB

Name:  Bonneville-2010.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  109.9 KB

Old 07-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Mebbe not.

That beautiful racer is Buick powered. But, not V8. A big old much modified straight 8.
Alas, as I recall, it had serious engine problems. I forgot what they were, but, my son a talented performance oriented machinist didn't agree with the rotating assemblies.

High engine RPM is not the only way to go fast. The other way is wheels with a large circumference and the torque to turn them. And/or tall differential gears and the torque for that as well. 2.88 is a good start.

The XK engine is a bit of an enigma. Nice free flowing DOHC cross follow head leads for good breathing and big RMP numbers. But, alas, it is long stroke engine and piston speed limits RPM.

But, many critters are powered in many ways and all go fast, at least for a bit!!!

Mickey Thompson's repowered and updated car is hoping to return. in charge of his son, Danny.

Carl

Old 07-10-2014, 02:43 PM

I remember reading a little bit about that Salt Cat. I think it was like a 60s Buick straight-8, with a ridiculous 5" stroke. I could be wrong though. I think they went through a few rotating assemblies before settling on what the had. That thing is cool, but also in a much harder class. The one I'd shoot for has to have all panels mounted in their original fashion, engine from same family as stock, gas tanks installed but don't have to be used. Basically, it's all down to engine work and how the gearing is set up. Problem is, however, I'd have to build it online with the requirements for the record in that class, which I think is like 202mph, which means 12pt roll-cage, parachute, two fire-extinguisher systems, and more.
In all, I think it would be fun and I would consider it a success if I could even hit 150mph. I need to talk to someone about some rule clarifications as the rule-book is somewhat vague. I would maybe shoot for an initial run of next summer, with only minor mods, sort of as a baseline for everything else, and go for an actual timed run in 2016 to unleash whatever I came up with.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Someone in my family said to all of us;

"If you have an opportunity to do something special and/or unusual you should take it. The worst thing is you could fail but at least you tried, and you might succeed. If you don't even try, you'll kick yourself for the rest of your life."

I've tried to live by that and so far so good.

Go for it. Let us know how you did.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
Civicalized (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by LnrB
Someone in my family said to all of us;

"If you have an opportunity to do something special and/or unusual you should take it. The worst thing is you could fail but at least you tried, and you might succeed. If you don't even try, you'll kick yourself for the rest of your life."

I've tried to live by that and so far so good.

Go for it. Let us know how you did.
(';')
That was all I needed to hear to seal the deal!

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

AGREE!!!!

Go for it.

The last of the Buick straight eights was far earlier than the 60's. %2, I am fairly sure.

Then came the Nail head V8's. Named because of small valves. Like the head of a nail. But, they could be made to run and run fast. In my hometown a tech at the local Buick dealer ran one in a super modified dirt car. Lots of guts, but the power exceeded his skill. Off the track in to the boonies a lot of times. The better chaufers ran similar cars with Olds V8 power.

And, at a time, there was a 1/4 paved track for really close to stock cars. The favorites were a big 48 Roadmaster sedan. Screamed around in 2nd gear. Too big for most to pass!!! The other was a diminutive 41 ****** Coupe powered by a lttle surplus Jeep flat four. It's highly skilled pilot could and did win lots of time. Stayed in tight and drove very smooth. Kept his momentum while others lost it in specatular sliding turns.

Note the popular "banger" races in the UK. Lots of jaguar rust buckets finishing out their tours!!!

Carl

Old 07-11-2014, 01:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do it! I've always wanted to run the salt flats, and how awesome would it be to do it in a elegant English built set of wheels!

Old 07-11-2014, 05:11 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Here are two things my Dad always said to me and my 7 siblings when we were young.

"No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow your progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying"

"If you really want to do something, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse"

Old 07-11-2014, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

fix. 52 Buivk straight 8.

And, not just anyone. Tjhere were the big one, 300 | CI's and the sma;ller about 270 or so.

Need the big Roadmaster version.

The Special was the most popular little car. Ie the three holer. The Roadmaster was the big one, 4 holer.

Note the 4 holes in rthe Bonneville Jaguar. Actually a mismatch. The straight eight cars of the period had round ports. Twas the later big Buicks with the bent 8 that wore the oval ports.

Carl

Old 07-11-2014, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

One of the few regrets I have in my life was never taking my Honda 400/4 that was built for Superbike competition in 1978 to the salt flats. It was clocked on the track at 145mph with track gearing. Superbike was never split into two classes as proposed so we raced it with the 900cc/1000cc bikes and finished 10th in the national standings. I believe that bike, in the 500cc salt flats class would have set a record that would hold today. Just do it!

Old 07-11-2014, 08:33 AM

You all have more than convinced me to pursue this! I have been intrigued by the idea of building something to chase a top speed record ever since i saw World's Fastest Indian and the story of Burt Munro. I was in Salt Lake last fall visiting family and came through Bonneville just to see the salt, and was blown away. I need to come up with my plan and all that, and as soon as I start i will start a thread with updates. Luckily, I work for a agricultural trailer manufacturer and can have things built and such for relatively cheap, so some of this won't be too bad. Surprisingly my wife is on board with the idea (she learned long ago just to go with it), so I'd say the only thing stopping this is me!

On a side note, with that salt cat, I do like how they put the ovals on there, it was a nice little touch. I didn't know that little tid-bit about the oval vs. circular holes on those Buicks.