XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i sell it....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i sell it....

Hi there, I have inherited a series 3 XJ6 3.4 a few years ago, its an 81, done 50k miles but needs a little TLC. I've had a number of people look at as it has a choke issue but no one can seem to get to the bottom of it.

I'm wondering if I should let it go, or does anyone know anyone that can sort it out and make it a runner.

Also, I have no idea whats worth and I don't want to spend a load of money on it if its worth nothing!

Cheers guys.

Pietro

Old 04-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Hello,Pietro,
If you inherited it, then you have no money invested in it at this time(?).
An '81 is 36 years old now, and will need a Lot more than a choke adjustment, especially after sitting for some years.

I'm sure it can be made to run but it might take some work (or a Lot of work), some money (or a Lot of money) and time. If you're not in a position to offer those things, then perhaps you should sell it, unless you have a nostalgic attachment to the car.

What it's worth depends on 3 things: Condition, Condition, Condition.

As for prices, look in your local car ads, Craig's List, or some of those freebies you find at the grocery store. Find a range of prices for similar cars of similar condition and ask something in the middle if you're serious about selling.

Others may have better advice, and if they do they'll chime in.

I hope it all works out for you.
(';')

Old 04-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

The 3.4 with Carbies is a UK and a few other markets.

USA, OZ did not get it.

I have details somewhere about the carbies and choke arranegemnt. I will dig them out and come back.

I would not sell it because of a choke issue, the choke will be simple, they all are, its just an understanding of its operation that is needed.

The following users liked this post:
Jose (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Pietro:

I've only a vague idea as to where you and the car are. UK is my guess. Good, as to not tempt me !!

If it is not a "rust bucket", it can be revived to make more than a nice car. If the Rust Monster has had it's way, the future although not impossible is dim...

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
Grant Francis (04-10-2017), ronbros (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 03:42 PM

Hey Carl, I'm too far away from you in California so don't worry! Im in London in the UK... Fortunately its in really good nick, its been in a garage for most of its life and therefore rust free more or less apart of a little on the arches. The biggest issue with it is that fact its been standing for 10 plus years and I think it just needs running,however you can't rely on it when your out and about to make it home!

Old 04-10-2017, 03:45 PM

Sorry I thought I was replying to your all separately... anyway I'm looking ideally for some UK guys who might be able to make some referrals to good Jag guys in UK that I can send it too, Ive spent a fair bit of cash so far but this problem seems to persist... :-(

Old 04-10-2017, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

it's probably an old fuel and carburetter issue, rather than a choke issue. Anything can be repaired if you want to repair it. That's what everybody else does here, repair, repair, repair. That is the fun of owning a Jaguar. And let's not forget that even with that problem, it is easier to repair than Italian or French cars. ( I can see the stones flying towards me, I better take cover now!!).

Last edited by Jose; 04-10-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Grant Francis (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
... And let's not forget that even with that problem, it is easier to repair than Italian or French cars....
And a Chevy is easiest of all; only need 2 sizes, 1/2" and 9/16".
Those will fix just about anything on the car.
(';')

Old 04-10-2017, 09:39 PM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Originally Posted by Pietro Ranieri
Hi there, I have inherited a series 3 XJ6 3.4 a few years ago, its an 81, done 50k miles but needs a little TLC. I've had a number of people look at as it has a choke issue but no one can seem to get to the bottom of it.

I'm wondering if I should let it go, or does anyone know anyone that can sort it out and make it a runner.

Also, I have no idea whats worth and I don't want to spend a load of money on it if its worth nothing!

Cheers guys.

Pietro
OK, found the book/s.

2 Carby brands fitted:

Stromberg CD with a coolant controlled choke arrangement.

SU HIF with an AED (3rd carby looking thing between the main 2).

Both are simple carbies, but will not tolerate dirt (grit, rubbish in some languages). Cleaning the internals is always a good place to start.

The AED is a fickle thing at best, hence most cars with that arrangement are converted to manual choke.

The coolant controlled choke on the Stromberg carbies is a basic bi-metalic strip, and also fickle as age creeps in. Manual choke conversion for them, never been involved, but would be out there somewhere.

In the UK you have a company called SU Midel, and they are THE people for SU parts, including pumps etc.

As for someone to take the car to, I will leave that to members in the UK to answer. However, someone that works on MG, Triumph, etc will have an excellent knowledge of those carbies, and the fact it has a Jaguar badge woiuld mean very little, the principles, set up, adjustments, are the same.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 04-11-2017 at 05:55 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:44 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Pietro Ranieri
Hi there, I have inherited a series 3 XJ6 3.4 a few years ago, its an 81, done 50k miles but needs a little TLC. I've had a number of people look at as it has a choke issue but no one can seem to get to the bottom of it. .....
Welcome to the forum Pietro,

Even though you inherited the car and the initial outlay was therefore zero, the reality is it will cost you more than it's potential UK sale value to maintain and run it. However, that applies to most cars.

Series I, II and III XJ6's are becoming a rarity here because of the poor Jaguar build quality in the 1970's/80's followed by the ravages of rain and road salt over the years. Values will increase if you intend to keep the car.

If it has SU carburetters then the AED (Automatic Enrichment Device) will be the problem. There is no adjustment on this device - it essentially either works or not. The only frequent fault is the unit draws air from a heated intake behind the rear exhaust manifold. The filter in this sometimes blocks preventing or restricting air being drawn through and making starting difficult or impossible. Could be worth removing the manifold and filter to ensure it is clear before buying a replacement AED or overhaul kit.

Exchange AED's and rebuild kits are available from:

www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/british-cars/jaguar/jaguar-xj6-series-i-iii-and-daimler-sovereign-series-i-iii-1968-1987/carburettor-fuel-injection-and-air-filter/su-hs8-and-hif7-carburettor-automatic-enrichment-device-aed.html

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 04-11-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Grant Francis (04-11-2017)