Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission mount update

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Transmission mount update

Well i haven't driven the car yet but i would put money down that the machine gun noise is gone! I just spent the best part of the afternoon under the car, that mount is crazy!!! two big mounts and a big bushing in the center! Well i guess thats how it is, thats how i put it back together!!! my mount had no center bushing! i dont it was worn out to the point of being useless, i mean there was nothing there!! not even any signs of old worn out rubber!!!
As soon as i am done with my dinner im gonna head out and drive it!!!

As a side note, if i were to do it again i would spend more time looking for my stubby 9/16 wrench! a standard sized one takes forever to undo the two nuts on back of trans that hold the bracket that the big nut goes through the center of!!
I am sure my wrench is somewhere close, but i couldnt find it and i wanted to get that thing out!!!

Old 12-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrenmb
i mean there was nothing there!! not even any signs of old worn out rubber!!!
There is supposed to be rubber there? got any pics.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

I took no pics, was waaayyyyy to greasy to touch a camera or a.phone! the rubber i am talking about wouldhave been whats left of the center bushing. But like a siad there was none. Justa a.metal bracket with large hole in it whrte the bushing was supposed to be!
Now the bad news, it didnt fix it!!! Noise still happens! Not as loud and i really have.to be getting on it, but its still there! Maybe its the exhaust vibrating agains body, i did notice a spot where the heay sheild is clean by the exhaust like.its been rubbing, while car is up on jack stands, not running.and with no outside influences on trans or engine position, there is only maybe 3/16 of an inch space between heat shelid and exhaust in that spot!

Old 12-21-2014, 08:05 PM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Are you sure the snubby 9/16 wrench is still not on the nut!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2014, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,951 Likes on 5,296 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrenmb
I took no pics, was waaayyyyy to greasy to touch a camera or a.phone! [...]
Darren, that's why Harbor Freight sells blue gloves! Ya wear them to handle the cruddy stuff and take them off to work the camera! If you use them up they'll make more.
(';')

Old 12-22-2014, 02:48 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
Darren, that's why Harbor Freight sells blue gloves! Ya wear them to handle the cruddy stuff and take them off to work the camera! If you use them up they'll make more.
(';')
I get really dirty all the time at work, so I use the gloves to put on over the dirt to do clean things. I can't work with gloves on, I need to feel what I am doing. One dropped M6 washer recently cost my employer $25000+, you just got to feel everything in my job.
I pick up the camera with a rag if I need it. Actually, the camera usually goes with me to the garage if I plan on any type of work an anything.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

How about dropping the camera into a ziploc bag?

If you hold the plastic tight at the front it shouldn't be "too" bad.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Saemetric
Are you sure the snubby 9/16 wrench is still not on the nut!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i am absolutely positive! i couldn't find it at the beginning of the job !

Old 12-22-2014, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
(';')
those gloves are pointless! i have very large hands and even the large gloves tear as soon as i touch anything, that's if they make it that far, usually break them putting them on!
Best ones i have found were when i worked at the hospital, but then again i was grabbing patients not nuts, bolts, and tools!

Old 12-22-2014, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
How about dropping the camera into a ziploc bag?

If you hold the plastic tight at the front it shouldn't be "too" bad.
unless i had planned ahead (which i am not known for) that would involve going in the house and into the kitchen and rummaging through drawers, sorry, but i would much rather not have pictures and hear it from a forum than have them and hear it from the wife!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2014, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Gloves????

I have a few laying about. Include dress gloves that on rare occasions, I wear. When I was a kid and drove my roadster in the winter, I had a pair of WWII flyer's gloves. No electrics to hook them to, but really warm.

A couple of pairs of canvass/leather gloves for yard work. My paws aren't as tough as they once were.

And, a couple pair of "mechanic" gloves. thinner, and sorta work. Good for some greasy task where tactile touch isn't essential. Trouble with one pair is that I put them on once with oily hands. Now, oily in and out!!!

And, the blues or whatevers. Just can't feel things enough to use them> Holding a teeny nut to get started, Nope.

Yeah, a little pair of wire cutters is gone..... last used when redoing the starter really to solenoid harness. Ugh, I liked them. but, I've another pair. but, they were just right for toe nail clipping. Ugh, multi purpose, I guess.

When I was in my early 20's, pal Bob and alter business associate was semi pro racing. The crew chief was a talented line mechanic with the local Hudson dealer.
he told Bob, that he had mechanical talent, but needed two sets of tools!!!

That guy's A/V8 roadster was a beauty.

Carl