Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

hi,

from $500. to $1,200. I think, depending on condition, and by your description it needs a lot of work, so deduct the cost of parts and labor from the above figures and the math will tell you what it is worth. Consider thst you can buy a 1987 for under $1,000.00 in this economic crisis.

Look at the bright side: the L (L for long-extended version) is great for use as a Wedding car, so you can start your own business. Paint it white with a totally white interior, wide whitewalls with chromed wire wheels, wear a white tuxedo when hired. Install a Chrysler V10 and a 5 speed automatic. Fabulous machine!

Otherwise there is no demand for an almost 21 feet long XJ. The "normal" XJ is about 19 feet bumper to bumper.

I would not worry much about the salvage Title, but eventually you want to convert it to a
regular Title. (consult with an expert on titles).

Jose

Old 02-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Jose ! Stop stretching things :-) :-)

The Ser II XJ6L is 199.6 inches long in USA trim. That's 16.6 feet...not 21 !!

The Ser III XJ6, USA trim, for comparison, is 200.1 inches

A Ser I XJ6 SWB (nearly all were SWB) is 189.5 inches or 15.8 feet

Cheers
DD

Old 02-25-2009, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member

Doug,

maybe you chopped your XJ ??

Jose

Old 02-25-2009, 06:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jambbii, yes there is a possibility it can be converted, but NOT in Florida. If you know someone you really trust in another state(family member,etc..) you can sign it over to. Check their laws for converting salvage titles(I know Kentucky, Ohio & New Mexico do it). Most require a safety inspection, body shop estimates, etc. But obviously the car needs to be there.
So you can register the car in that state once it passes inspection & they will issue you a clean title. But mind you, it can NEVER be registered in Florida again as clean.
So you cannot register in say like Georgia get issued a title & then turn around & register it agian in Florida.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jambbii
I am not a jag person by any means but I picked up an 1974 XJ6L that had been parked for a while with 42k on the clock. Well I was intending to get it running and drive the car around. It has really nice paint, decent interior and new tires. The only thing is it has a salvage title. Does this kill the value of classic jags, even if the car has all of the original steel? I did get the engine running but it needs things like fuel pumps and the carbs gone through.

Thanks,

Josh

As Jose says, the car isn't all that valuable to begin with. I wouldn't worry about the salvage title. If you like the car (looks like a nice one!) then use it and enjoy it.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-25-2009, 09:27 AM

You cannot just register a salvage titled car in Florida. Which means no insurance. So as for him enjoying it...he will have to jump through some hoops. On the title(salvage certificate) the there would be a note that says either the car CAN be rebuilt, needs to destroyed, or PARTS.

Unless the laws have changed since I left in 2006. He would need to have the car inspected, fixed, inspected & THEN if it passed they can issue a REBUILT salvaged title. Only then can he register & insure it.
Once teh title is straightened out, just about the only company I know of in Florida that would insure it for anything would be Progressive.

In short, You CANNOT register a SALVAGE title car in florida. You can if lucky have it changed to REBUILT salvage.
If it was a C.O.D.(Certificate of Distruction) title then in NO WAY could it ever, ever be registed for use on Florida roads.

I know I am new to the forum here. But I lived in Florida & have dealt with this issue. Also dealt with it in many states, as building, restoring & selling cars was my "business".

Ofcourse, as always his best bet is to contact them directly, if he is unsure of what he needs to do..
http://www.flhsmv.gov/

Old 02-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

How did we get talking about Florida ? I must've missed something

Cheers
DD

Old 02-25-2009, 12:50 PM

Damn. I am sorry. I read your post Jambbii & read your location as Jose's location. He is in Fl.

Well, I have no idea how AZ works with the salvage then.

As for the fuel pump you can try places like Motorcars LTD & Covenrty West.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
As Jose says, the car isn't all that valuable to begin with. I wouldn't worry about the salvage title. If you like the car (looks like a nice one!) then use it and enjoy it.
I'm with Doug on this one. Replace the fuel pump, clean out the fuel tanks-trust me, they will be icky and drive it until you've had your fill of fun with it. It's only worth the amount of enjoyment you get out of it. Resale is just a down payment on the next toy anyway.

With all the cheap Jags on the net these days trying to sell one for a profit is a difficult proposition. Just saw a mint 2001 XJ with 65k miles for $2000 yesterday! If you do want to fool with titles, check out http://www.broadwaytitle.com/.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

85XJ

haaa, what a Florida mess!

But based on the pictures that he posted, the car does not look COD at all, it looks like a nice driver.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:02 PM

No doubt that car looks drop dead gorgeous. I would have no reservations abotu buying a salvaged/rebuilt car. But we know how that can go. I was on a lot down in Miami that was a high end salvage dealer. Beautiful Jags, Lambo's, MB's & ferrari's just lined up ALL with salvage titles, because they were flooded from storms. State to state DMV's can be a real PITA when it comes to these types of cars. Ih've seen theft recoveries that only needed a nav unit or wheels & tires, but were branded with a COD. On teh flip side I have seen mustangs hit by Semi's that had THOUSANDS dumped into them to rebuild them & they now have clean titles..Depends on teh location of teh DMV(small town or big town) & the inspector.
Just letting him know worse car senario.
But like you say Jose. That car is a beaut & I do not think he will have trouble. be he should be prepared.

Check out this BMW..BEAUTIFUL 530xi AWD..
http://www.casmiami.com/inventory/displaycar_8091.html

Old 02-26-2009, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member

yeahh, wonderful Station Wagen. REBUILT it says. flooded. I wonder where this flood was. However, for a REBUILT flooded car, I think the price is way too high, but then, everything else is way too high in Miami.

I would instead go fishing for the Jaguar X type Station Wagon, a rare model, on the road or under water, not many were made.