XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xj12vs diamler double six

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug is right about the flat seats & I think the individual buckets looked better.
About the chrome grille, I thought there was a slight difference at the mounting points; I've had different opinions, even my buddy (a Master Tech for 35yr) said it different. If Bentleyboy is correct then it'd be great! When the grille gets here from UK, I'll know for myself.
Always liked that look, I met a Jag owner in Switzerland that "Daimler-ized" his LHD VDP and yes it looked fantastic.
Cheers to all
Peter

Last edited by Cowboy17; 01-08-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:52 AM

$7,800 for a genuine Daimler in this condition actually looks pretty darn good
I saw an '84 (I Think) on ebay (US) a few months ago that sold for $5,000 USD, It's also a RHD (they all are).
If set up properly & maintained; they're not that costly to own. Just a bit thirsty for petrol in the city but fantastic fun in the country or motorways.
Heads turn anywhere you go in that car
Cheers
Peter

Old 01-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Were there any significant alterations/improvements between 1986 and 1991? Looks like 1986 has the latest interior (speaker integrated into door pocket).

Old 01-08-2011, 08:09 PM

The one big difference are the rear seats, it became more of a bench then the pair of buckets plus 2 head rests. Still has 2 shoulder belts & center lap belt.
The steering wheel is the new style (like the XJS) with 2 horn buttons instead of the pad.
The wood was burl walnut (of the dozen examples I've seen).
The battery was moved to the trunk, passenger side which made the windshield fluid reservoir larger.
Many I've seen had the pepper pot rims.
I don't recall if all '91s had it but the commemorative edition of the last 200 had ABS & a numbered plaque on the ski slope.
Fitzy; the Jag Doctor told Jaguar had corrected many of the weak & flawed parts designs during the last production year.
The one thing I always wondered was why Jaguar did not add the (red) rear fog lamps that were integrated into the rear bumper like the Daimler Double-Six.
That's what I can think of for now.
Cheers
Peter

Old 01-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,817 Likes on 7,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboy17
The battery was moved to the trunk, passenger side which made the windshield fluid reservoir larger.

My understanding was that the trunk mounted battery made room for the ABS control unit

Many I've seen had the pepper pot rims.

Right. Technically the Kent wheel was standard issue but the pepperpots were a popular option.

I don't recall if all '91s had it but the commemorative edition of the last 200 had ABS & a numbered plaque on the ski slope.

If you're referring to the last Canadian V12 VDPs, it's "100". These were the ones built as DD6s but badged as Jaguar VanDen Plas. Was there another 100 car edition for another market?

As I understand it the plaque came with the car for owner or dealer to install as and where they pleased.

To my knowledge these were not that last Ser III V12s built but were the last of the Canadian market cars and the last to be badged as Jaguars.

The one thing I always wondered was why Jaguar did not add the (red) rear fog lamps that were integrated into the rear bumper like the Daimler Double-Six.

Could it have been a regulatory thing? AFAIK rear fog lamps were not DOT approved in the USA until the mid 90s. Perhaps Canada had a similar law? <shrug>

That's what I can think of for now.

The only other thing I can think of is the hydraulic hood/bonnet supports but I don't know when they were added.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-08-2011, 09:44 PM

Oops I meant 100 not 200.
And the hydraulic struts too.
I've seen a dozen tags so far & it's all at the same spot; maybe the dealer was suggesting the spot?
The rear lamps were on the XJ40's and Land Rover Discovery but I was told Jaguar Canada was odd.
During the mid 80's Fitzy was still working at the dealership & he was not allowed to order the Daimler parts (grille & boot plinth) into Canada even though it was available on the catalogue in the UK.
Cheers
Peter

Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 AM

Hey Doug,,,, yes you are correct it is getting a little silly,Since I live in the USA and living in the deep South, I never see CAN spec cars here. I am however familiar with most of the Euro and ROW versions, but that has never been my focus. VDP seats are VDP seats and all the rest are just that.. VDP seat design as we know it was a VDP staple of there interiors, weather in a Austin Princess or Allegro, a Bentley, or Rolls Royce. Daimler or Jaguar, it was there hallmark design and I think we all know what it looks like...as for the
"small" seat design that one is a new one on me.. but then it is CAN spec car you are talking about and it was in that period post US S3 production and Jaguar was trying to run out there cache of interiors and all the other bits left over with all the odd variations of the XJ12 Sov. VDP etc.. Not the first time they made odd birds at the end of a production run.. thats what gave us the XKSS in 1956, The very rare S3 E Type with a 4.2 6 cyld instead of the V12 and 4 speed manual trans in the first XJS in 1975 for the Euro market,, just using up 4 speeds left over from the E type. Lots of car makers use to do this and small Brit makers like Jag were the best at it.....

Old 01-09-2011, 08:40 AM

Yep, the S3 grille will bolt right onto a S2 hood. As I mentioned I have done it, more than a couple of time, I have a updated S3 XJ Grille on my S2 XJ12C, bolts right on., and I have converted more than 1 S3 XJ to Daimler spec. The S2 Daimler Grille and the early S3 Daimler grille us the chrome strip that runs up the hood center,, very elegant and thats what I used, The later S3 Daimler grille version did away with the chrome strip and thus had the matching tail on the grille rounded off so as to not look like it was missing something, which it was..

Old 01-10-2011, 08:57 AM

That's great to know, thanks.
Funny you mentioned XJ12C; I'm in the midst of trying to acquire (rescue) a "C" that's been sitting outside for a few years after it suffered a fender bender to its right wing.
A Daimler "kit" would go nicely in its resurrection
Cheers
Peter