XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ6 76 Sunroof won't move

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ6 76 Sunroof won't move

I just picked up my 76 Jaguar a few months ago. The sunroof power was not connected in the trunk so I hooked it up. Hit the open button and it began slowly opening, but wouldn't close with out some serious help from my hand. After a few more tests the motor still turns on but the roof doesn't move open or close, I have to manually close it but even doing that the rear of the sun roof is still angled down.

What do I need to do for the time being to fully close the sunroof?

And/or what can I do to fix the sunroof so the motor can open/close it all of the way.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:46 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Hi, when i got my series 1 a few months ago, I switched the sunroof switch to open. It made all the right noises from the boot,then switched it to close and made all the right noises again but roof didn't move. So I took the wires off the switch.
After closer inspection I noticed the roof was sealed shut with silicon, some things are just best left alone. If you want the roof open on a 40 year old car buy a convertable is the best advise I can give. Enjoy your Jaguar and don't worry over the little things.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

You're going to have to remove most of it to fix it. Motor is in the boot. It will be old age and rust that is preventing it moving. A big job.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Yup, the tracks and drive cables are probably rusty or gunked up...and the motor doesn't have the ooomph to overcome the strain.

And/or the motor itself is worn out.

With the sunroof fully open you might be able to get some aerosol lubricant into the tracks and mechanisms.

For the time being you'll just have to try pushing the panel fully home by hand. It might help to slide the panel fully open, disconnect the drive cables from the motor, and then try sliding it. With the cables removed from the motor there will be less resistance and you'll hopefully get enough momentum to do the trick

Cheers
DD

Old 03-08-2014, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

it might be possible to manually crank the sunroof motor shaft;

I am not sure about the Series 2 XJ, but in the Series 3, the sunroof motor has a protruding shaft at the bottom of the motor for which the factory provided a little Crank Tool which was included in every car and also in the accessory Tool Kits. (see picture).

The Crank Tool can be used to open and close the Sunroof Panel Manually if the Motor or the Switch fails. To investigate, you need to remove the upholstery panel/card in the trunk/boot so you can see the sunroof Motor mounted to the steel panel behind the rear seat.

The emergency-mode or Manual-mode Shaft will be at the bottom of the motor.

Attached Thumbnails XJ6 76 Sunroof won't move-xj-6-sunroof-crank-2.jpg  
Old 03-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all of the replies. I was able to push it closed by hand but the rear end of the panel still still sunk down about a half inch, is there a trick to get it level so that it sealed?

Can the the sun roof be pulled out from the top to repair it? or does it all have to be dismantled from the inside?

Old 03-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I'm 99% sure yours is an aftermarket sunroof so I can't comment on the details of removing the panel.

On the Ser III cars, which came with 'factory' sunroofs, the panel can easily be lifted out of the roof. It is held in by a few screws on the leading edge and a couple of spring clips at the rear. Remove the screws and lift the panel forward and upward....and out she comes. This gives some access to the tracks and cables. Not sure if this is possible with yours.

Fullest access is gained by removing the headliner.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Originally Posted by wardriver64
Thank you for all of the replies. I was able to push it closed by hand but the rear end of the panel still still sunk down about a half inch, is there a trick to get it level so that it sealed?

Can the the sun roof be pulled out from the top to repair it? or does it all have to be dismantled from the inside?

My car is also a Series 2 with an aftermarket sunroof. The PO was very definite in saying "DON'T OPEN THE SUNROOF!" so I haven't even though the crank and documentation is in the glove box. It bears dents in several places where someone in the distant past has physically forced it closed.

If, as Doug says, your sunroof is an aftermarket add on, there is a covered button-like plug in the center of the inside roof just behind the switch. That's where the manual cranking point is located.

As Clarke (o1xjr) mentioned, Silicon slathered sunroofs are is not uncommon, nor are attempts to seal them with duct tape. (As you might imagine that really looks crass and undignified!) I agree with him also, If you want to have an open roof, get a convertible. You KNOW that will leak in a rain.
(';')