XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

77 XJS engine and transmission swap from 94 6.0L

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 77 XJS engine and transmission swap from 94 6.0L

Should I do this? I'm having a hard time finding solid information and apparantly the only thing I will be missing form the 6.0 is the wiring harness. Can someone source out someone in Ohio (I live in Cleveland) who would be willing and able to do such work? I love the idea of getting the 77 on the road again and really love the idea of getting a nice 6.0L from the newer XJS' in it....both are becoming hard to find.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

why not just buy a 1994 and drive it. Prices are low for them and it would most likely be way cheaper in the long run. You'd also get ABS, modern electronics, modern suspension and have almost the same great looks. Seems obvious to me...am I missing something?

Old 05-07-2014, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by icsamerica
why not just buy a 1994 and drive it. Prices are low for them and it would most likely be way cheaper in the long run. You'd also get ABS, modern electronics, modern suspension and have almost the same great looks. Seems obvious to me...am I missing something?

I think for me it's just the look of my 77. I can't put my finger on it, but the lines of it seem just different enough in a good way to warrant me wanting to salvage it. I found a local restorer yesterday after posting this. All he does is Jaguar. I guess it really comes down to if I can convert the 77 into a more-relaible version of itself in some way. Done right, I can imagine it being a pretty nice ride.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:37 PM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts

Buy the '94 and make it look like a '77. Trust me. There's a butt-load of work involved with putting a later V12 (and it's associated emissions, engine management, and electrical systems) into an earlier car, and in the end, you're not really making it that much more reliable. Changing the sheet metal is a lot easier.

Last edited by JagZilla; 05-07-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by JagZilla
Buy the '94 and make it look like a '77. Trust me. There's a butt-load of work involved with putting a later V12 (and it's associated emissions, engine management, and electrical systems) into an earlier car, and in the end, you're not really making it that much more reliable. Changing the sheet metal is a lot easier.
So what about a rebuild? I'm not trying to make a profit from the car (fix and resell). I keep getting the same thing, it seems, from everyone I've talked to. Essentially, don't waste your money on an XJS.....if its not already in perfect condition, scrap it. And that, essentially, even after a reconditioning, there will be problems more so than not.

Is this true? I'm just wondering why anyone has an XJS at all if this is truly the case? Not one soul has said anything nice about them.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,177 Posts

I love the 96 that I drive.

I think that you're getting a lot of negative feedback because the concensus seems to be that restoring an XJS in bad condition is a very time consuming and expensive job.

It is much cheaper to find a model that has already been well taken care of and start from there. I didn't say perfect, but if you can find an XJS that has been tended to, there is much less work to do to get it up to speed.

Does that make sense?

I think transplanting a 6.0 into a 1977 XJS is something that will take a ton of time and money. It will take a lot of time to figure out how to mate new technology into the old displays and gauges. You also have the problems of using ECU's that will look for features not necessarily planned to be on your car like ABS sensors, are you doing that too?

Old 05-08-2014, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Vee
I love the 96 that I drive.

I think that you're getting a lot of negative feedback because the concensus seems to be that restoring an XJS in bad condition is a very time consuming and expensive job.

It is much cheaper to find a model that has already been well taken care of and start from there. I didn't say perfect, but if you can find an XJS that has been tended to, there is much less work to do to get it up to speed.

Does that make sense?

I think transplanting a 6.0 into a 1977 XJS is something that will take a ton of time and money. It will take a lot of time to figure out how to mate new technology into the old displays and gauges. You also have the problems of using ECU's that will look for features not necessarily planned to be on your car like ABS sensors, are you doing that too?
I'm ok with not doing the transplant, however, there will need to be a rebuild at this point. I just like the idea of taking something that would otherwise disappear off the face of the earth and bringing it back. Maybe that makes me crazy, I suppose.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Bennett
So what about a rebuild? I'm not trying to make a profit from the car (fix and resell). I keep getting the same thing, it seems, from everyone I've talked to. Essentially, don't waste your money on an XJS.....if its not already in perfect condition, scrap it. And that, essentially, even after a reconditioning, there will be problems more so than not.

Is this true? I'm just wondering why anyone has an XJS at all if this is truly the case? Not one soul has said anything nice about them.
In my opinion, that PRE-HE engine is definitely worth rebuilding, with special attention given to the heads in order to allow for better breathing, and more power. Because those engines have a flat combustion chamber, it's relatively easy to have a machine shop enlarge the valve openings for larger valves. You can either pay a machinist to port the heads, or, if you're the adventurous type, you could do it yourself. Since the stock heads are the major obstacle to making more power on these motors (even more-so on the HE), a 50-75hp gain from doing this is a VERY conservative estimate.

I never said it would be cheap, and you'll likely never recoup your monetary investment on this car, but, if the rest of the car is in good shape, you'll end up with a very unique car, which will get attention everywhere you go. The ride and handling will amaze you, and with the additional power on tap, there would be little reason to shy away from a traffic-light challenge.

Just my 2¢

Old 05-09-2014, 10:48 AM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Sm block chevy

If your going to do all that work why not a small block chevy conversion. More power and better reliablity. It seems that v12 engine is a pain. Thats my plan for my 89 xjs convertable

Old 05-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default I just wonder?

Originally Posted by Bc xj
If your going to do all that work why not a small block chevy conversion. More power and better reliablity. It seems that v12 engine is a pain. Thats my plan for my 89 xjs convertable
I totaly get the power and reliability of the chevy motor! I wanted go put an LS1 in my 944! "Not going to happen in California". Hey, to each thier own, its YOUR. car! But, I just wonder if every one considering a swap, got to drive a well sorted V12, i would think a few minds would change. If your about power, mpg, reliability of a "just run it" motor, stay on track and do what you want. But there is a bit of "majic" in the V12. I like to tinker, if I had an LS1 jag, I would still putter on it! A well sorted V12 is....well, I gotta have one!

Old 05-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Default Here We Go Again

When will the admins wise up, and create a LUMPS forum, so the Chevy guys can have a consolidated place to talk about what all is involved with a V8 swap, without the information being scattered throughout the XJS and XJ6 forums?

Last edited by JagZilla; 05-09-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Received 222 Likes on 170 Posts
Default I m not a chevy guy

When will the admins wise up, and create a LUMPS forum, so the Chevy guys can have a place to talk about their stuff, and the rest of us can talk about REAL Jaguars?
I m not a chevy guy (dodge guy if anything) but all I read about here is people bitching about there v12 not being reliable.I will try carb set up as I suspect the feul inj to be the problem. Im new to Jag ownership and joined the forums for advise and guidence and I m being put off the v12.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:46 PM

I m not a chevy guy (dodge guy if anything) but all I read about here is people bitching about there v12 not being reliable.I will try carb set up as I suspect the feul inj to be the problem. Im new to Jag ownership and joined the forums for advise and guidence and I m being put off the v12.
Yeah, I know that a lot of guys are put off by the V12, which is a shame, because they are really sweet motors when you have one that is running properly. However, the learning curve can be pretty steep, even for experienced car guys.

I know my words came off cold, but, you'll notice that I edited my original text. I realize than no matter how much I dislike it, there will always be some guys who will ditch the V12 in order to save the car from the scrap yard. Those guys need a place where all the knowledge involved in doing that is consolidated, and easy to access, so they can do the process properly, and without any hidden surprises.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Yeah, I know that a lot of guys are put off by the V12, which is a shame, because they are really sweet motors when you have one that is running properly. However, the learning curve can be pretty steep, even for experienced car guys.

I agree we need a lumps section. I disagree on the sweetness of the Jag v12 Any achievement of proper running will be expensive and certainly temporary. They are downright dangerous too because a simple and minor fuel leak will result in an engine fire. The fuel rail and its 30 connections sit above the sparky distributor. Fuel pools in the valley, vaporizes and Pooof!

Jaguar ENGINE FIRES on Series III XJ6 and the XJS Jaguars

Fuel hoses may deteriorate resulting in and engine fire : Jaguar XJS Common Engine Problems

My 85 XJS caught fire : Jaguar

http://www.justanswer.com/jaguar/7cf...gine-fire.html

Last edited by icsamerica; 05-09-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Just like everything else in life, you never hear about the guys who are completely happy with their purchase (XJS). You know the old vocal minority thing. The ones who have deep enough pockets and / or no inclination to work on it themselves, there's no reason for them to visit this forum looking for advice. Their qualified mechanic takes care of it for them, and they enjoy the vehicles.

What you have here is a group of enthusiasts who for whatever reason are seeking specific knowledge of these cars.

And let's be honest; most of us aren't bitching. We love our cars.

Agreed we need a lump section.

The fire thing is not unique to Jaguars. Porsche 928 of similar vintage has issues with aging fuel lines and leaking power steering racks. And let's not even start with modern Ferraris.

Last edited by Flint Ironstag; 05-10-2014 at 03:20 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-10-2014, 04:48 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Well here is one guy who is perfectly happy with his XJS and enjoys the ownership.

I too have a problem with all the "guru's" proclaiming that the V12 is unreliable. It's simply not true, nor would the manufacturers have continued to produce an engine with the host of problems these "experts" will be ready to expound upon.

Perhaps it is a case of too many uninformed tinkerers who plough in without knowledge and blame the engine when things go wrong. On the other side of the coin this forum has a quiet minority who have taken the time to understand this super piece of motor engineering and who are willing to educate the rest of us.

coming back to the 77 XJS, it is my view that this is a unique vehicle as a pre-HE that deserves to be brought back to its original status. does not have to be concourse, but should be as close as possible to original. In years to come a car like that will be sought after, whilst chucking a V8 into it simply will not do justice to this car. There are plenty of inexpensive HE's around where such conversions could be done.

enjoy your XJS as a classic and in time it too will by sought after by collectors.

well that's my view anyway.

BernardS