XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

'88 XJS Lug nut confusion

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 02:51 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default '88 XJS Lug nut confusion

So, what's the story on the correct lug nuts I need for the CBC2469 rims I want to put on my car but can't because my starfish rims require a different lug nut. What do I need for the CBC2469 rims? Is this something I can get orr the shelf at my local autoparts store like NAPA? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

What difficulty are you having, specifically?

As I recall the lattice wheel used lugnuts that were unique in appearance only: longer exposed length and black finish. The business end should be the same as your Starfish lugnuts.

I'm using XJ6 lugnuts on my present set of lattice wheels, installed on a Series III sedan. I'm pretty sure I used the Starfish wheel lugnuts when I switched to lattice wheels on my XJS.

Take one of your existing lugnuts and put into one of the the lug holes of your lattice wheel. Does the shank of the lugnut protrude past the rear face of the wheel? If so, it won't work. it should be a bit shy of the rear face of the wheel so it (the shank) won't bottom out against the hub.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
51rover (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:41 AM

Doug, I took the car over to our local tire store (a national chain store) to exchange my newly bought used lattice wheels (CBC2469, came off a '93 XJS). They couldn't get the black starfish nuts to go through the hole in the CBC2469 wheels. I measured the hole in the lattice wheel (with calipers) and get a hole size of about .704" but haven't removed one of my wheel nuts to see what the shoulder diameter is yet. Right now I'm stuck until I can figure out if there is a part number or some specific info that I can use to determine what I should buy. Of course, shoulder length needs to be checked as well. Aftermarket would probably be okay but at this point I wouldn't even know what to buy. Thanks for your help and response. .............Mike

Old 02-15-2018, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Take a good look at the lug holes. Are they corroded, damaged, galled?

Over the years I've worked on several Jags (and various others) where corrosion clogged...for lack of a better word...the lug holes. Sometimes the lugnuts won't even come out of the wheel.

The lattice wheels I currently use on my Series III were a real mess. Every lug hole, all 20 of 'em, required some degree of sanding/filing to remove the corrosion. Very monotonous.

I use a small smear of grease on the lugnut shanks to keep corrosion at bay. Also, I smear grease on the wheel-to-hub mating faces to prevent the wheels welding themselves to the hubs

Cheers
DD

51rover (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:04 AM

Wow, I bet that is the problem. Several of my wheels have the corrosion on the back side. I'll take some chamber brushes to the holes and make sure they're all clean to the bare metal. For the life of me, I couldn't figure why Jaguar would use different hole diameter wheels produced in the same year as the car year model. But then, I've had numerous Brit cars over the years and something like this wouldn't surprise me on the early year cars. I looked at the cost of new lug nuts and figured that before I paid several hundred dollars for them that if necessary I would put all 20 lug nuts on my lathe and reduce their diameter to accommodate fitment. I'll pull one of the lug nuts from the starfish wheels tonight and use it as my guide to check hole diameters on the lattice wheels. Many thanks for the tip! ............Mike

Old 02-15-2018, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

Looks like you need part CCC7028 available new from Jaguar parts or your dealer

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...-alloy-lattice

51rover (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:30 PM
Default Yep, that was the problem.

I went home at lunch today, removed a lug nut and tried to put it in the lattice wheel holes. Nope, won't go. So close, but won't fit. I took a small file and 3/4" bore brush and cleaned out the first hole. The problem is not only was there a little corrosion in each of the holes, easily cleaned out with the bore brush, but the outside edge of the top of of each hole was flared over a bit and when the protruding lip was filed off, the nuts dropped in as they should. In fact, one of the bolt holes actually let the nut drop in without doing anything. The flared over top of the hole was probably due to over-tightening the lug nuts in the past, perhaps with an air impact wrench. he first wheel is now done, the others to be done tonight. And I like Doug's idea of smearing a thin film of good grease on the outer part of each lug nut shoulder. I'm also going to clean the shoulder the mounts on the hub. I'll probably use some anti-seize for that. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:32 PM

Malc4d, thanks for the part number. I'm going to see if there is any different part number for the lug nut that is used on the starfish wheels. I think if there is a difference it would be the finish, .....black vs. chrome. It looks like my starfish nuts will work perfectly on the lattice wheel now. Thanks for the "heads-up". ..........Mike.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:58 PM

Got all 20 bolt holes cleaned up last night. all the lug nuts drop freely in to each hole now. I coated a thin coat of anti-seize compound in each hole. I also took the wire wheel to the surface areas where the rim meets the hub and coated them with anti-seize too. I got it all mounted this morning and the old girl looks really nice. Thanks allot to everyone that weighed in on this thread. My next adventure is rear wheel bearing replacement in both hubs.

Doug (02-16-2018)