XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

96 xjs passenger seat repair and leather dying

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 07:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 96 xjs passenger seat repair and leather dying

Good morning. I just got my new '96 XJS. Great car. The passenger power passenger seat will not slide backward and forward. When you press the button it jerks on the left side a tiny bit but does not move. The back part tilts up and down. I don't think its the switches since the seat responses with the jerk. I wonder is it the motor or is it the gears? I am not sure why it would jerk if the motor was broken. Can the motor be jammed itself and therefore needing replacement? Could something be jammed under the seat preventing its movement? I wouldn't think it's a fuse since it does jerk. Any thoughts?

My other question is the bottom seat part, especially on the driver's seat shows the typical heavy veining where the very top of the surface has split open. The veins have not split all the way through the leather but have distorted the surface. Do people have any opinions on how to deal with them? Has anyone had a professional dye the seats to fix this problem? Or is it best to reupholster the seat bottom altogether? I saw on Wheeler Dealers that they dyed some seats and they turned out great. I am in NJ if anyone has suggestions on places to go for such things.

Thank you,
Erik

Old 04-18-2018, 08:24 AM
Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Great video on leather restoration.

The following 2 users liked this post by RickE:
89 Jacobra (04-29-2018), trojian (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 10:36 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I used products from Furniture Clinic to restore all of my seats. Here's a link:
https://www.furnitureclinic.com/Leather_Colorant_Kit

And some results!

Passenger Bolster Before

Passenger Seat Before

Passenger Back After

Passenger Seat After

Old 04-18-2018, 11:47 AM

Wow they look great. Same seats as mine. Did they have a color match for the oem color or did you match it? If you did what color did you use?

Old 04-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by trojian
Wow they look great. Same seats as mine. Did they have a color match for the oem color or did you match it? If you did what color did you use?
Did you already get your new sled and drive it back?

Old 04-19-2018, 12:50 PM

Yes I did. I have it in at the shop right now for an oil change and new tires. The dealer promised me he would change the oil and such before I took it home but he never did. Also, the tires for over 15 years old, so they needed to be changed. I put a new set of perelli's on it. The engine is running really smooth. I believe I am going to use the leather restore kit Eastrando suggested. I liked the instructions and the price of furniture clinic.

I just need to figure out what's holding up the passenger seat from working.

Regards,

Erik

Old 04-19-2018, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Yes I did. I have it in at the shop right now for an oil change and new tires. The dealer promised me he would change the oil and such before I took it home but he never did. Also, the tires for over 15 years old, so they needed to be changed. I put a new set of perelli's on it. The engine is running really smooth. I believe I am going to use the leather restore kit Eastrando suggested. I liked the instructions and the price of furniture clinic.

I just need to figure out what's holding up the passenger seat from working.

Regards,

Erik
LoL on the Dealer not changing the oil and 15 year old tires.

Just buy this and be done with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/94-96-Jagua...QAAOSwtudaghpg

Old 04-19-2018, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

There is a module under the seat that has a ribbon cable going to the seat, I would start there, perhaps there is a bad connection. Also useful to clean the connections at the switch. I'd also take the connector off the motor and put it back. Sometimes just taking a connector on and off cleans off any corrosion and things start working again.

As a general rule, it more likely to be a bad connection than a bad component.

If you need new leather, talk to Paul's Jaguar in Florida. Best to phone and expect to leave a message, but they will call you back. I had them make new seat covers for my 94 V12 and they were identical to OEM in every way. Very happy with the quality.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:35 AM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Good morning. I just got my new '96 XJS. Great car. The passenger power passenger seat will not slide backward and forward. When you press the button it jerks on the left side a tiny bit but does not move. The back part tilts up and down. I don't think its the switches since the seat responses with the jerk. I wonder is it the motor or is it the gears? I am not sure why it would jerk if the motor was broken. Can the motor be jammed itself and therefore needing replacement? Could something be jammed under the seat preventing its movement? I wouldn't think it's a fuse since it does jerk. Any thoughts?

My other question is the bottom seat part, especially on the driver's seat shows the typical heavy veining where the very top of the surface has split open. The veins have not split all the way through the leather but have distorted the surface. Do people have any opinions on how to deal with them? Has anyone had a professional dye the seats to fix this problem? Or is it best to reupholster the seat bottom altogether? I saw on Wheeler Dealers that they dyed some seats and they turned out great. I am in NJ if anyone has suggestions on places to go for such things.

Thank you,
Erik
Hello,
I work in NJ myself. Not sure where you are.
I also hang with the BMW 635 group and the guys there like the Leatherique products for leather dying and repair. Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products

Old 04-20-2018, 08:08 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I used their color chart:
https://www.furnitureclinic.com/Color_Chart?Jaguar

Based the interior color code on my car, I think it was NDR, or "Cream".

The following users liked this post:
trojian (04-20-2018)