XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Auto seatbelt still not working after part change...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 08:01 PM
Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Auto seatbelt still not working after part change...

The driver's side belt on my '89 has been stuck in the forward position for several months. Passenger's side works fine. I was able to use one of the emergency clip kits the disconnect the belt from the forward position and manually hook it to a clasp at the rear position; I just have to lift it over my head every time I get in/out.

I bought a new passive restraint control module and had it installed today. The problem was not fixed.

I am accustomed to a similar system on Mitsubishi Starions from the mid-80s. In the Starion system, there are limit switches at the extreme forward and rearward ends of the seat belt track. The connections corrode, so from time to time you have to disconnect the switches, scrape them down, put dielectric grease on the connections and reassemble.

Is the Jaguar system similar? I've looked for limit switches fore and aft, but can't find them.

Jess

Old 02-15-2018, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

My pass. seat has always been haywire, and I assumed it was likely the weight sensor for that seat. It is supposed to deploy regardless of someone being in it (to not obstruct view) but mine goes goes back and forth and never shuts up, so maybe its one of the end switches.

You can probably figure it out by accessing the related items and connectors and then doing some electrical diagnosis. Obviously the ignition, door switch, control module, weight sensor, and I think maybe the reverse switch are involved. It's interesting you have your seatbelt adapters, I've never seen them.

The XJS has switches on each end of the track like the starion. For the belt to operate, the system needs feed from the ignition, weight on the seat sensor, and the door to be closed. Firstly, does your motor work with 12v supplied? The motor is in the rear rear side panels at the bottom of the b-pillar.

If it does, then you can move on to determining where it is losing the 12v signal.

The following users liked this post:
JessN16 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:38 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Jaguar issued SEVERAL TSBs and Publication S89 (I cannot find my copy of S89 at this time).

I spent years of my life repairing, adjusting and replacing the passive restraints!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is some info.

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
3-120 Motorized Seat Belts.pdf (161.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: pdf
76-91 Motorized Seat Belts.pdf (545.2 KB, 52 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Doug (02-16-2018), JessN16 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
My pass. seat has always been haywire, and I assumed it was likely the weight sensor for that seat. It is supposed to deploy regardless of someone being in it (to not obstruct view) but mine goes goes back and forth and never shuts up, so maybe its one of the end switches.

You can probably figure it out by accessing the related items and connectors and then doing some electrical diagnosis. Obviously the ignition, door switch, control module, weight sensor, and I think maybe the reverse switch are involved. It's interesting you have your seatbelt adapters, I've never seen them.

The XJS has switches on each end of the track like the starion. For the belt to operate, the system needs feed from the ignition, weight on the seat sensor, and the door to be closed. Firstly, does your motor work with 12v supplied? The motor is in the rear rear side panels at the bottom of the b-pillar.

If it does, then you can move on to determining where it is losing the 12v signal.
I'm literally sitting here at my desk laughing over the words "weight sensor." I had no idea there was such a thing in this car. That is so Jaguar. (Starions use only the door open/closed switches to determine belt movement.)

I feel like Sean Connery in "Goldfinger" when he sees the Aston Martin with the ejector seat for the first time: "An ejector (weight sensor) seat? You're joking!"

"I never joke about my work, 007." -- Q, who apparently also worked for British Leyland.

I replaced the driver's passive restraint control module. I didn't replace an actual motor. Back to eBay...

Jess

p.s.: The adapters came two to a kit. They were stored in the glove box. In the event of belt failure, you could undo them from their anchors, insert these little temporary anchors at the rear of the belt track -- there's a spring-loaded lever already back there to hold them in -- and now the belt stayed in a rearward (closed) position. You just have to crawl out from under the belt every time you get in now.

Last edited by JessN16; 02-15-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Jaguar issued SEVERAL TSBs and Publication S89 (I cannot find my copy of S89 at this time).

I spent years of my life repairing, adjusting and replacing the passive restraints!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is some info.

bob
Thanks for those links. My journey on this began by printing those out a couple of years ago and taking them to Burke Jaguar in Birmingham, Ala. After 3-4 guys looked at it, they came and got me. "Yeah, that's what it says, but we can't help you. Those parts don't exist anymore." By law, that cannot be the case until the company goes out of business. But that's how they said they were going to handle my case -- i.e., not handle it at all.

Burke no longer has the dealership in that city, so maybe I need to talk to the new folks.

Jess

Old 02-15-2018, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Another one of those "ahead of its time" type things. Most cars today have weight sensors to determine whether to annoy you about not having your belt buckled or whether to turn on the passenger airbag.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:00 PM
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts

My 1990 has automatic seat belt.
Every time I get in, it is automatic that I click the seatbelt. LOL

Old 02-16-2018, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by JessN16
By law, that cannot be the case until the company goes out of business.

I really don't think that's the case. Manufacturers discontinue service replacement parts all the time. In 30 years of working in dealer parts and service departments I've never found any laws requiring otherwise....and I tried.

However....

Some of those seat belt repairs on some models were covered by an actual product recall. That's a different kettle of fish. For years and years Jaguar was incapable or unwilling to find a vendor to supply the parts to satisfy the recalls. As of a couple years ago I thought that problem had been resolved; not sure.

If your repairs fall under the recall you might have solid footing to put your foot down...but it might be an uphill battle.

But that's how they said they were going to handle my case -- i.e., not handle it at all.

Burke no longer has the dealership in that city, so maybe I need to talk to the new folks.
If Jaguar, at the corporate-level, can't or won't supply parts there's really nothing that can be done at the dealer-level. But, yes, try another dealer. Maybe the first one didn't dig deep enough. Can't hurt to try.

Cheers
DD