XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

bonnet won't latch properly (forgot pic in previous)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Received 176 Likes on 127 Posts
Default bonnet won't latch properly (forgot pic in previous)

After all I've done to this car I feel a little silly that I can't seem to get the bonnet to latch properly.

I've removed the "pins" (the things bolted to the bonnet), and confirmed that the bonnet will sit down on the rubber stops. However, with the pins bolted back on, it latches, but sits about 1/2 inch high. When I press down on the corners of the bonnet I can't make either corner contact the stops since the pins are resting on the bottom of the latches, which leads me to think the the latches need to be lowered.

The problem I have is illustrated in the attached pic...the latched have already been adjusted as low as they will go. Bending the pins up isn't the answer as they are nearly contacting the underside of the bonnet right now.

Is there an adjustment I'm missing? I can't see how the bonnet ever would have been even.

Thanks,

John
1987 XJ-S V12, 62,000 miles

Attached Thumbnails bonnet won't latch properly (forgot pic in previous)-hood-latch-adjustments.jpg  
Old 02-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Received 10,295 Likes on 6,814 Posts

Maybe NOT the answer you want.

Our '77, '85, '86 all suffered from that in the early gays of ownership, and I established some FOOL had slammed the bonnets shut, like a "normal" car, and messed the latches and the locks big time. Working for Jaguar at the time simply ordered new latches and pins, and rubber caps for the stop bolts, all sweet once fitted.

That was a loooooong time ago, so maybe they are still available????.

That latch arrangement is a master of British Engineering, and wear is an issue in the "parrots beak" pin.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Sometimes it's the latch cables not adjusted properly. There is a procedure (maybe in kirbys book). Pig of a job to get right but probably worth trying.

Last edited by anjum; 02-26-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Found it
Jaguar XJ-S Bonnet lock maintenance

On the later ones (or mine at least!) there is an adjstment screw type thingy for the rhs hinge. Do the left one first then the right.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,082 Likes on 5,350 Posts

I think you will fix it if you proceed as follows:
  • Shut the bonnet and pull the interior handle so the bonnet is latched as far as it does latch at the moment. Check to see if either of the prongs bolted to the bonnet itself have not actually got into the latch by pulling up on each corner and seeing if it is actually latched, even though a bit proud.
  • If one or other side has not latched, loosen the latch on the bulkhead (ie as in your pics) and move it up a bit.
  • Retest and adjust until you definitely have both bonnet prongs being captured by both latches, even if the bonnet remains proud when pulled shut. Carefully ensure that the prongs are centred exactly above the U of the open latch jaws by loosening the prong fixing bolts and adjusting (the holes in the prong fixing plates are oval).
  • If it is still proud when latched either on one or both sides, check with the bonnet open that the latch that side is fully closing. Do this by simply pulling the interior lever with the bonnet open, and seeing if the latches are really closed - ie you cannot close them more by levering the latch mechanism itself
  • If one or both are not fully closing: look at the LHS (UK passenger/USA driver) latch, it has one cable coming from the lever inside which activates the LHS latch, and another going across to pull the RHS latch. Loosen the relevant grub screws and adjust the effective cable lengths to ensure both latches close fully. The latch when closed fully does not just capture the prong, it pulls it downwards also
  • Once this is all done, if the bonnet is still a bit proud, and the latch to bulkhead adjustment is used up (quite normal!), then:
  • Unbolt the prongs from the bonnet, place each one in a big vice and squeeze it a bit to flatten out the prong angle (which is an open Z shape), thereby reducing the distance by which the end of the prong that goes into the latch is standing up from the end of the prong that is welded in the fixing plate that bolts to the bonnet.
  • Refix and test carefully, ensuring that the prong is centred exactly above the U shape of the open latch jaws. Adjust the latch fixings or flatten the prong a bit more as required
Guess how I know this!

Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 02-27-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

My dad is quite sensible with mechanical things. When he noticed the bonnet sitting proud on the left side when closed and latched, he said use a 2x4 on the bonnet-mounted right-angle bit that the latch grabs. I did. This slight tightening of the right-angle bit made all the difference. I didn't have to touch the moving parts that the cables operate, and you can't tell that anything has been done.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Received 176 Likes on 127 Posts

All, thanks for the replies. Greg in France...something tells me you know all that by experience and experimentation :-)

I spent a couple hours today modifying the brackets and adjusting...and adjusting...and adjusting...it all. Finally (after 4 hours) it works smoothly and the bonnet/body fit is, if not perfect, pretty close to it. Pig of a job it was!

John

Old 03-03-2013, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,082 Likes on 5,350 Posts

Originally Posted by J_C_R
All, thanks for the replies. Greg in France...something tells me you know all that by experience and experimentation :-)

I spent a couple hours today modifying the brackets and adjusting...and adjusting...and adjusting...it all. Finally (after 4 hours) it works smoothly and the bonnet/body fit is, if not perfect, pretty close to it. Pig of a job it was!

John
Congratulations John. Four hours is a very good time in my experience. Once done it willl stay that way for a very long time. What still astounds me is that this all had to be done as part of the normal build process! Those guys at Jaguar were absolute wizards to get the things out in numbers at all.

Greg