XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Can't find the sunroof motor!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't find the sunroof motor!

Hi, I have an Jaguar XJS HE V12 from 1986 and it has a sunroof from factory (I think) that has stopped working. I can't find the motor, I have stripped the boot and even the rear seats inside the car but no sunroof motor! I have the service manual on CD and the book but find anything about the sunroof. I can't either find where the fuses can be located if there is any?

I hope someone can help me with information.

BR
Anders

Old 02-09-2020, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,978 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Anders,

Unless Jaguar used some sort of very complex Bowden cable-type arrangement, the sunroof motor would presumably be mounted right by the sunroof panel, perhaps just behind it?

Good luck

PAul

Old 02-09-2020, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,821 Likes on 7,125 Posts

Maybe some of this will help?

Looks like the motor is at the forward edge of the sunroof assembly?

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic...5/brand/jaguar

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

Over the years there has been quite a bit of discussion as to "factory installed' sunroofs on the XJS. I can't remember if any firm conclusions have been drawn. The consensus is/was most were not factory installed. And, if I recall correctly, even the few 'factory' installations were actually sublet to another company before the car was completed and then returned to the assembly line.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
RickE (02-09-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 01:36 PM
Received 498 Likes on 315 Posts

Jaguar DID indeed fit FACTORY sunroofs tot eh XJS Coupe , these were an option tick on purchase from new

the bespoke glass electric tilt and slide roof was supplied by Webasto , the individual car was pulled off the production line before finishing and the sunroof was installed in the factory , and then placed back into line,

any doubters can see all the genuine Jaguar parts and numbers in the back of the ROM and parts manuals,

my own 1989 XJS has the factory sunroof, and i even have the original build sheet showing the option being fitted,

history and research has highlighted that only 50 or so of these sunroofs were fitted in factory ,

dealerships did indeed retro fit other brand sunroofs , but nothing to actually do with ' jaguar ' and OEM products

BB

Old 02-12-2020, 02:26 PM
Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Brake buster
Jaguar DID indeed fit FACTORY sunroofs tot eh XJS Coupe , these were an option tick on purchase from new

the bespoke glass electric tilt and slide roof was supplied by Webasto , the individual car was pulled off the production line before finishing and the sunroof was installed in the factory , and then placed back into line,

any doubters can see all the genuine Jaguar parts and numbers in the back of the ROM and parts manuals,

my own 1989 XJS has the factory sunroof, and i even have the original build sheet showing the option being fitted,

history and research has highlighted that only 50 or so of these sunroofs were fitted in factory ,

dealerships did indeed retro fit other brand sunroofs , but nothing to actually do with ' jaguar ' and OEM products

BB
The rare fitting of sunroofs is in the preHE cars...maybe only a dozen or so I've ever seen. My 1982 HE has one...wish it didn't as it takes too much headroom away,

Old 02-12-2020, 03:06 PM
Received 498 Likes on 315 Posts

please dont misinterpret my comments in thinking that ' aftermarket ' is poor quality or ' factory ' is better, many aftermarket items from sunroofs to bodykits and refinished engines have been carried out by many quality outfits like TWR and Lister to name a few, even full convertible conversions long before Jaguar offered that body style

i would however say that the above pre'he sunroof unless otherwise documented may well be a dealership or aftermarket body shop alteration , as i have never seen anything other than a glass factory sunroof for the XJS , the above units may well be XJ6 metal roofs that have been quality installed into these cars at owners request

i would love to know if it is anything different from this , as i have been in direct contact with the Jaguar engineer that implemented the supply and fitting of the genuine article in the late 1980's, and he was the one who supplied me with the build figures and suppliers and how the system was implemented , and actually supplied;lied me with my ' build-sheet ' for my car from his records

The following users liked this post:
Doug (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 03:16 PM
Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Early (preHE) cars with steel sunroofs were factory fitted. The main car used in the Return of the Saint (provided directly from the factory) had a steel factory sunroof fitted. My own car had this as a factory delivered option. Mine is a slide only...no tilt function. Not sure when the steel option became a glass option.