XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Jonathan

Sounds as if you could have a bit of a Power Steering leak to contend with, as a funnel and a bucket does seem a bit extreme!
the bucket is to hold the funnel(s) in so they do not drip on my carpet in the trunk...
and they are the perfect fit to check and top up the PS-Fluid
(have new lines, saving for a new rack and pump)

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Hi Jonathan

I've never seen funnels like those before, they look ideal for the job, though my Shower Gel bottle with the Pump, is very easy to Stow in the hollowed out

section by the side of the Wing/Fender.

And it doesn't drip if you put a Plug in the end of the Tube.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Default Battening Down The Hatches on my XJS

Battening Down The Hatches
On My XJS

Expecting a Storm!

With a Storm Warning given out, I was fearing the worst and thought my XJS would be safer out in open ground.

Rather than having the Branch of a Tree come crashing down on the
Car Port She was under.

So I moved her closer to the House and then I covered her up with a Breathable cover but just before I did that I put a rather unusual cover over the Soft Top
to protect it from rain.

I wonder if any of you have either got or have ever seen one of these before as they are quite rare.

Genuine Browns Lane XJS Soft Top Delivery Cover Does anyone else have one?

Back in the day, when the XJS was a common sight on our roads, or well at least to anyone with around Fifty Grand that was burning a hole in their pocket.

The XJS left the Browns Lane Factory with one of these Covers on, to protect the Soft Top while the Car was on a Transporter en route to the Main Dealers.

In its own way its quite a Work of Art (After all it's a Jaguar so what else would you expect!)

That Clips on to the Fabric Loops that are down by the bottom edge of the Boot/Trunk.

Where the leading edge of this goes under the Front of the Soft Top before it is locked down, while the pieces at the side are held in place by the Windows when they are raised.

As they were really designed to be no more than delivery covers many of these ended up in the bin and were scrapped, which is a bit of a crying shame as it is so useful.

Though as far as the Storm was concerned, someone reported their 'Wheely Bin' blew over, as apart from a Blustery Wind, it wasn't too bad down my way.

Jonathan-W (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

that is a really nice soft top cover... I have been throwing a moving blanket over mine before putting the car cover on it as the car cover was getting lint all over my top... Hurricane Irma here in Florida really did not reach where I am... I also use the blankets to keep Cats... off it (and cat hair) (it is the sharping of the claws before the curlew up on the top that the blankets really help on)

Old 09-14-2017, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Ever been hit by a big branch in a storm whilst driving 125 mph? I have... Yesterday. The storm had winds exceeding 90 mph... And I used that to drive faster more efficiently

My windscreen and car is still fine. My XJ-S, battered by the full impact of wind and branches flying, is still fine. I don't worry. The sheet metal OS so thick, it can with stand a nuclear bomb (over North Korea... )

orangeblossom (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
Ever been hit by a big branch in a storm whilst driving 125 mph? I have... Yesterday. The storm had winds exceeding 90 mph... And I used that to drive faster more efficiently

My windscreen and car is still fine. My XJ-S, battered by the full impact of wind and branches flying, is still fine. I don't worry. The sheet metal OS so thick, it can with stand a nuclear bomb (over North Korea... )
Hi Daim

If you're not bothered about your Car, then why are you taking so much trouble with your restoration.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Jonathan

Tonight was a perfect Example of how useful that Top Cover is, as no sooner had I finished polishing the Car, than it started chucking it down with rain.

I wouldn't leave it on all the time, as it is non breathable and could rot the hood, although I keep it on my Grey XJS when She is in the Garage to protect it from Cats.

Although I would do what you do and use a Blanket if I hadn't got that.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Daim

If you're not bothered about your Car, then why are you taking so much trouble with your restoration.
OB, I am bothered but I don't worry. Maybe I am a relaxed person. When my old gal is fonished, then I'd probably be shaking in every storm but currently: c'est la vie

The following 2 users liked this post by Daim:
Jonathan-W (09-15-2017), orangeblossom (09-15-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Default Washing Cherry Blossom

Washing Cherry Blossom

With my Daily Driver out of action, I've had to leave 'Cherry Blossom' outside and close to the House, in case of an emergency situation.

Although She's had a Cover on and I covered her up as best as I could, 'Sods Law' has decreed that it just wouldn't stop raining.

Not just a light Shower either, its been really chucking it down but as She was recently Polished with 'Mer' I knew that this would give her even more protection.

Either that's the Amazon, or its just Started Raining and 'Cherry is gonna get Wet!

After Raining for most of the Week, Today it finally Stopped at least for a while and so I thought I'd take the Cover off so I could check her over.

The Rain had Washed the dust right through the Cover, so time for a Wash!

First a Quick Pre-Wash with the Garden Hose to get the Worst Off.

Non Kink Garden Hoses, don't you just love em!

Using Proper Car Shampoo, instead of the Washing up liquid, that I used to use.
(Hangs head in shame!)

Forget about using Car Sponges, this piece of kit is incredible and I've had it on Test for some time. A Car Wash Mitt from a Pound Shop only £1

My Car Wash Mitts from a Pound Shop only £1 each. The Quality is Incredible!
The Red One (I mean the 'Cherry One') is for the Bodywork and the Blue One, for below the Water Line.

The 'Cherry One' for the Bodywork

The Blue Wash Mitt for the Sills as well as other areas where Road Grime builds up

Also useful for Cleaning the Wheels and Tyres

Rinsing Off the Shampoo before drying

Drying with a Microfiber Cloth. Does anyone still prefer a Chamois Leather?

A Shine so deep that you would need a Submarine to find where it begins.

I've also got a Lambswool Mitt but is it for Washing or Polishing?

Jonathan-W (09-20-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member

OB,

You have experienced the reason I will not put a cover on my car when outside. The dust gets through it (no matter if with rain or not). If the cover has a little slack, the wind will move it and cause scratches in the paint as the material will run the dust into the clear spray. Which then need to be buffed out. When gone too far or buffed out too often, it can't be buffed anymore as you'd have no more clear spray.

I prefer a dirty green car with good paint be neat than a clean car with loads of scratches. Of course a clean car with no scratches stored indoors is best but heck, I'm not that rich (yet)

orangeblossom (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Daim

Its not the dust that is the problem, its the Cats and Squirrels.

Even if the Car is in the Garage, the Cats always find a way in and if I didn't put a Cover on. it would be scratched to hell.

But then I need the Cats to keep the Rats and Squirrels away, as they would certainly do a lot more damage.

So a bit of dust is nothing, when compared to that.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Our problems here are badgers and foxes (no, I am not pro foxhunt, but they are actually now allowed to be hunted here due to overpopulation). Cats and rats are rarely seen. Though you do get the odd hamster instead!

orangeblossom (09-22-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Default Power Steering Leak

Bad Power Steering Leak
On 'Cherry Blossom'

Having just got over the shock of finding the power steering

pump on 'Cherry Blossom' was empty.
I decided I would add it to my list of

'Pre Flight Checks' before every Trip.

So having filled it up to the Mark, I felt that She was ready for her next trip out.

Which owing to the Weather never happened for at least two weeks.

Then Yesterday I checked it, only to find it was empty (well almost!)

Oil No!
All I can see is bare metal and since filling up the Power Steering, I hadn't been out in
the Car for a couple of Weeks.

The Dip Stick was 'Bone Dry'

Where has all the Oil gone?

Filled up to the Mark but how long will it last?

Very easy to Top up the Oil with this old Shower Gel bottle with a pump on the top

Somewhere I've got a very bad leak on the Power Steering System, so last night I parked her over dry ground, in order to try and find it.

The Apple Marks the Spot where She was leaking and the Old Tyre in the Photo, was where the Front Wheel was.

The Apple marks the Spot where She was leaking

Where is She leaking from

Any Ideas?

Old 09-22-2017, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

OB
If you get underneath, you can see (just) the hoses that go to and from the rack and the pump. Something will be wet. It may well be a leaking hose, or a leak from the cooler (bolted to the subframe) both of which you should be able to see. Or, it could be the pump itself where the hoses exit the back of the pump or the return. If the actual pump body is wet with fluid, then it will be coming from the hose joins into the pump.

Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 09-22-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg

Cheers!

Haven't had time to look yet, still fixing the Merc my 'Daily Driver' but 'if' it is that low Pressure return Pipe, it doesn't look anything special.

So should be easy enough to get one made up.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Default Pilot Error! I just drove 'Cherry Blossom' over the side of my Car Lifter!

I just drove 'Cherry Blossom'
Over The Side Of My Car Lift!

I just drove 'Cherry Blossom' over the Side of my Car Lift!

No Idea how it happened I had her nicely lined up and was moving very slowly

Then all of a sudden an Almighty Bang!
as I somehow managed to drive her over the side of my Car Lift.

It was too dark to see what damage I'd done but its probably smashed up the sill.

There is a lot of the Car Lift Underneath, so it might have smashed the under floor as well

If the weight of the Car was taken on the Down Pipes then its 'Game Over'

Not Looking Good! When driving onto the Lifter, once the Front Wheels are in the Track, they usually stay there.

Too Dark to look at her tonight and probably just as well!

Its not been a good Month for Cars
First my 'Daily Driver' Packs Up
And now this!

Tomorrow I'll have to Jack Her up and Survey The Damage

Too Dark to see anything Tonight.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Ouch.

But I suspect the damage won't be too hateful. EZ repair at the local body and paint shop. No worries !

Cheers
DD

Old 09-23-2017, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Ouch.

But I suspect the damage won't be too hateful. EZ repair at the local body and paint shop. No worries !

Cheers
DD
Hi Doug

I still don't know how I did that!

I always take care that I've got her lined up and then go as slowly as possible.

In the Photos, I had already jacked her up a bit, as She was down a lot lower than that.

Maybe I've broken the Steering Rack or bent the Anti Roll Bar and Crushed the Exhaust and Fuel Pipes.

Good job I never had the door open.

Too Dark to see anything last night and I've still got to get her back on the lifter, so that I can hopefully reverse her off.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member

OB, we've all done something we don't know hownit happened. Just 7 days into the ownership of my XJ6, I lost control and wrote it off... At a slow speed of around 25 mph! That was really painful as it was in perfext condition with reallymrare trim etc. Double Black (inside and outside).

Now I daily a heap of British scrap metal which is as reliable as a VW Golf is individual. Oh, it is still a Jag, but a very tired and worn one. Probably scrapping it this year to buy something reliable, probably a Volvo again (they are just always there for you, think of 'Thank you for being a friend, travelled up the road and back again,...').

orangeblossom (09-23-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

OB,

Very sorry to hear of the misfortune. We have ALL done something silly at some point with our cars and fortunately nearly all of us live to tell the tale, suitably chastened, wiser and perhaps a little poorer. At least you are safe and Beng metal can be repaired. So let's all a be thankful for ghst.

However dire things seem at the time, it is often not quite as bad in the cold light of day. Let's hope that when you jack it up and get it out of there, the damage will be minimal and easily fixed.

Good luck

Paul

orangeblossom (09-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12