XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

A couple of Transmission Mount questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts
Default A couple of Transmission Mount questions

Whilst I was under the car dealing with the steering rack, I noticed that the drivetrain seemed a little bouncy, and I've recently heard a 'clunk' on acceleration.

I'm guessing that the rubber bits of the transmission mount have perished, and that should be my next adventure in getting under the car.

I found Greg in France's brilliant post on a safe and sane method for dropping the mounts (thanks Greg!). But I still have a couple of questions.

1. Should the spring also be replaced (car has about 63K miles)?

2. Shouldn't I drop the pan, change fluid & filter, and replace the pan gasket while I'm at it?

3. If you had a dollar for every time someone wondered why the transmission mount was designed that way, what color would your new Aston Martin be?

I'm sure I'll have other questions, but wanted to make sure I ordered all the right parts before I start.

Old 12-05-2015, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

Replacing the spring is always a good idea, they are dirt cheap, and if, when you get the old one out it is a bit shot, you will have to wait while a new one arrives, so I say, get the bits first. The damper bung thing must be replaced, and in my experience only the OEM one gives the real jaguar smoothness.

If the tranny oil is nice and pale red, no need to change it, but if not, then I would do the filter etc as well. As you have to remove the anti-shunt thingy from the back of the pan anyway, to get the tranny mount off, it is not too much bother then to drop the pan, apart from the ATF spilling everywhere!

As to Q3, My second XJS would be dark blue!
Greg

Old 01-25-2016, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts

Just a quick update and to close out the thread.

I finally got a large enough block of time to attack this job, and I just wanted to give Greg in France the proper thank you and kudos for his brilliant (and safe!) method for doing the task:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...itting-145478/

Makes the job quite straightforward and drama free, and now that distinctive thud when I hit the gas is gone. Incidentally, the rubber bit that the spring seats into was in fairly good nick, but the rubber bung/spool bit was not only gone, there was no evidence left of it. It's like it never existed. When this was mentioned in Kirby's book, I didn't imagine it was really possible on a lower mileage car, but clearly it is.

If anyone is about to do this job, let me save you some searching or head-scratching regarding that damper bung or spool piece (item #3 in exploded view). If you look at the attached drawing of the mount assembly it isn't exactly clear where it should go on reassembly. If that piece has perished like mine, you don't have any reference or clear idea where it fits, and going by the drawing you might fit it inside the spring above the "V plate", which isn't going to serve it's purpose.

It has to be pressed into the circle portion of the "V plate" which isn't obvious and doesn't look like it fits. Spray it with some silicone lubricant, and suddenly it will snap into place and seem obvious in retrospect. The top 'shoulder' should be the only thing visible from above on the V plate.

So thanks to Greg in France for the method, and Grant Francis for the proper insight in how it all goes together.

Attached Thumbnails A couple of Transmission Mount questions-89690-88-xjs-vibration-after-trans-service-v12-trans-mount.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Mac Allan:
BC XJS (01-27-2016), Grant Francis (01-26-2016), Greg in France (01-26-2016)