Go Back  Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Classics ) > XJS ( X27 )
Reload this Page >

Front left suspension clunk/rattle over bumps.... what the

XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Front left suspension clunk/rattle over bumps.... what the

Old 05-16-2019, 11:47 AM
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Front left suspension clunk/rattle over bumps.... what the

One day while driving hit a nice rough unpaved and potted spot on the road. Right away started getting a clunky rattle from the front left. Iím trying to pinpoint the issue but havenít had luck yet. I bought new top strut bushings and went to put those in yesterday only to find they had been done fairly recently. Jacked up the car and if I grab the tire at 12 and 6 I get some play and a metallic doink back and forth. Nothing when I do 9 and 3. Tried to look at the suspension ball joints while moving the tire but couldnít see anything. Iím wondering if the hub bearing is junk or not tight enough? Almost seems like the movement is between the disk and hub? Iím just hoping itís not a motor or cradle mount... if I push on the top/quarter panel I can hear a slight clunk as well if I rock the suspension up and town. Any guesses?

Old 05-16-2019, 03:41 PM
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts

I had the same issue and some nice person here mentioned that I should check the upper engine cross brace on that side, and sure enough it was loose. Made the same noise your describing,

The following users liked this post:
944xjs (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Time-Pilot View Post
I had the same issue and some nice person here mentioned that I should check the upper engine cross brace on that side, and sure enough it was loose. Made the same noise your describing,
Nice, I will give it a look. I rocked the wheel today on the ground it felt almost if lugnuts were loose. So I popped off the hub and took off the pin and cap. Grabbed the nut and it wasnít tight at all. So I tightened it down and loosened it a bit so it wasnít tight. The clunk went away when I rocked the wheel. Went for a drive and seemed better overall but still a bit of a rattle at times. Maybe the bearing needs a replacing and not a tightening...

Old 05-16-2019, 07:11 PM
Received 185 Likes on 136 Posts

Can you jack up the front in a way that lets the subframe mounts/wheels hang free? The actual subframe mounts are often over looked and cause alot of odd movements/noises when one fails or is in poor shape.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by VancouverXJ6 View Post
Can you jack up the front in a way that lets the subframe mounts/wheels hang free? The actual subframe mounts are often over looked and cause alot of odd movements/noises when one fails or is in poor shape.
I Gave the front ones a quick glance today but nothing investigative. In reality the car is very nice for how cheap I got it, but chasing down rattles and creaks is a large pain with old stuff. I have similar suspension sounds on my bmw 633csi. I donít want to just go replacing every balljoint and bushing but in reality Iím sure it would make the car feel like new and prob fix the noises. If only I had an endless supply of money.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:58 PM
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 944xjs View Post
I Gave the front ones a quick glance today but nothing investigative. In reality the car is very nice for how cheap I got it, but chasing down rattles and creaks is a large pain with old stuff. I have similar suspension sounds on my bmw 633csi. I donít want to just go replacing every balljoint and bushing but in reality Iím sure it would make the car feel like new and prob fix the noises. If only I had an endless supply of money.
I hear that, Iíve got a squeak in the drivers side rear, itís causing no issue so for now it stays.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 503 Likes on 328 Posts

Nice, I will give it a look. I rocked the wheel today on the ground it felt almost if lugnuts were loose. So I popped off the hub and took off the pin and cap. Grabbed the nut and it wasnít tight at all. So I tightened it down and loosened it a bit so it wasnít tight. The clunk went away when I rocked the wheel. Went for a drive and seemed better overall but still a bit of a rattle at times. Maybe the bearing needs a replacing and not a tightening...
I would not drive on those bearings.

For a bearing to go loose while the nut is held steady with the pin in place requires the removal of hardened steel from somewhere. You can visually inspect them to see, but I probably wouldnít bother to pull them without replacing anyway.

The following users liked this post:
944xjs (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by JigJag View Post
I would not drive on those bearings.

For a bearing to go loose while the nut is held steady with the pin in place requires the removal of hardened steel from somewhere. You can visually inspect them to see, but I probably wouldnít bother to pull them without replacing anyway.
When I undid the nut and took the washer off the outer bearing just fell out. Iíve never done a car with this sort of bearing system so Iím not sure if thatís normal or not but I think it is? I didnít see anything wrong with the bearing and the race was still in position and looked ok. The bearing was a Timken.. isnít that an aftermarket unit?

Old 05-17-2019, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,544 Likes on 4,856 Posts

Time to pull the hubs for a thorough tear down/clean/inspect/repack/adjust routine. Probably hasn't been done in eons. It's commonly neglected, unfortunately.

When you have the bearings out wipe them on a dark cloth. Any tiny metallic bits will be easy to see and indicate bearing replacement is called for

Cheers
DD

Old 05-17-2019, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,544 Likes on 4,856 Posts

When I undid the nut and took the washer off the outer bearing just fell out. Iíve never done a car with this sort of bearing system so Iím not sure if thatís normal or not but I think it is?
If the bearings are well greased then they usually won't just fall out. The grease sorta holds them in place after the washer and nut are removed, requiring that you wriggle the hub a bit to remove them.

I didnít see anything wrong with the bearing and the race was still in position and looked ok. The bearing was a Timken.. isnít that an aftermarket unit?
I think Jaguar used Timken.

Timken is the good stuff! If you replace bearings you'll usually pay more for Timken.

Cheers
DD

The following 4 users liked this post by Doug:
944xjs (05-17-2019), Grant Francis (05-17-2019), Greg in France (05-18-2019), orangeblossom (05-18-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 03:38 PM

Did a quick check and the engine brace was locked down good