XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Getting at the rear end

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 12:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting at the rear end

I'm planning on tearing into my rear end this year, and I've done a bit of research on the site as to the best way to do it. It seems that the common thought is to jack the back of the car waaaay up, then drop the diff down and wheel it out. I kind of don't have the equipment for that (or the cojones).

Basically I was wondering if it's feasible to just dissasemble the rear end piece by piece; drop the bottom plate, drop the diff, pull the axles out, etc etc? That way you wouldn't have to have the car up very far, just high enough to give you working room. Would there be a hiccup with reassembly maybe?

Old 03-13-2011, 01:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Your plan could work if you don't need to remove the actual differential itself...because it's bolted to the "cage" at the top. To unbolt it you'd have to drop the cage to access the bolts.

That said, the car doesn't have to be lifted all that high to remove the whole assembly....maybe 20" or so.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-13-2011, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

As Doug says, you have to take the whole shebang out to do a full job.

Actually, it is fairly easy to remove the back subframe complete, but you can sometimes have difficulty with the exhaust system if it wont come apart due to rust. You support the car in front of the radius arm body mounts here using substantial wood blocks or axle stands, leaving the suspension up in the air. Make sure car is secure and steady before going underneath, this is of paramount importance.

Disconnect everything, (brake lines, propshaft. radius arms), then, using a heavy duty jack with a good height lift capability, jack up to support the subframe underneath the diff. You can then undo the bodymount bolts, remove them, and then gently, using the jack, lower the subframe to the ground.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Make sure car is secure and steady before going underneath, this is of paramount importance.
One way of feeling more secure under a car is to use the tires. They are off the car and just sitting around anyways.

Depending on the height involved, use one or both tires as a backup to the jackstands by sliding them under the car on their sidewalls.

It has enough height that if the car comes down, it has to come down past the tires to crush you.

Even when not getting under the car it can be useful. For example, working on a brake at a corner, you still don't want the car coming down while your arm is between the hub and the fenderwell. Well, with the car jacked up, just take the tire and slip it under the rocker panel.

Disclaimer: Anyone using the methods outlined above does so at their own risk and must consider their own circumstances carefully.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

AND NEVER LEAN THE WHEELS AGAINST THE SIDE OF THE CAR. BIG DENTS HAPPEN SO EASILY.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys! I'll do all of the above. Very helpful.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Received 162 Likes on 96 Posts

Take a picture of how the exhaust routes through the diff cage. This had me stumped for while when I was ready to put it back in the car.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Xjeffs
Take a picture of how the exhaust routes through the diff cage. This had me stumped for while when I was ready to put it back in the car.

Great point! The same thing happened to me the first time I dropped the cage. It sounds so simply and silly but it really did have me stumped.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Take pictures of everything before you remove it, not just the exhaust. I just removed and rebuilt my inboard brakes, shocks, etc. This was the first time I ever owned or worked on a Jaguar, so I understand your concerns, but once you get going on it, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be. Just a couple of suggestions, presoak all the nuts and bolts for several days before you start the removal with some kind of penetrating oil, I actually used Marvel mystery oil and not one nut or bolt was locked on. Also I had to cut my exhaust pipe just beyond the cage as well as remove it from the mufflers, I was able to get the clamps off, but the 2 pipes would not come apart. I also used a digital camera and took many pictures from all different angles, they came in very helpful when putting it back together. Good luck