XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Has anyone ever considered fitting Re-mould Tyres to their XJS

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts
Default Has anyone ever considered fitting Re-mould Tyres to their XJS

Has anyone ever considered fitting Re-mould Tyres/Tires to their XJS

I have heard, that with modern re-manufacturing methods, they can be as good as a New Tyre/Tire.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

That is saving cash on the wrong spot. I am against remoulds, as rubber ages and you only contact the road via some small patches of rubber. My cars get new tires every 5 years...

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 02:20 PM
Received 569 Likes on 364 Posts

The tread rubber may be new, but how old is the rubber in the carcass that it was put on? Could be very old, and affected by ozone. I'm having to replace some tires now as I write this, with lots of tread left, because the rubber in the carcass is separating from the belts, age related.

You also don't know if the previous owner kept his tires inflated properly, which also affects the carcass.

Trucks do retreads, but they put a lot of miles on in a hurry, so the carcass isn't that old.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

OB,

When it comes to cars, I'm not sure that remoulds are ever a cost-effective option any more. 35 years ago, we had two options - expensive new tyres or remoulds. Nowadays, the market has developed such that we have Premium manufacturer new tyres, Mid-market manufacturer new tyres and Budget manufacturer new tyres.

So arguably there is a new tyre option for every budget, and remoulds aren't an appropriate option. But. as always, that's just my view!

Paul

Old 04-15-2016, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

When it comes to cars, I'm not sure that remoulds are ever a cost-effective option any more. 35 years ago, we had two options - expensive new tyres or remoulds. Nowadays, the market has developed such that we have Premium manufacturer new tyres, Mid-market manufacturer new tyres and Budget manufacturer new tyres.

So arguably there is a new tyre option for every budget, and remoulds aren't an appropriate option. But. as always, that's just my view!

Paul
Your View

Makes a lot of Sense and never really looked at it, in that way before.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Received 496 Likes on 315 Posts

its strange

a remanufactured ABS unit is desirable because its cheap , a remanufactured gearbox, the same etc , all critical or safety items.....

a ' remould ' or remanufactured tyre is frowned upon , the stringent rules applied to remanufactured tyres and the quality control means they are ' as good as new ' and they also help the environment , a high quality carcass from a top manufacturer with a newly moulded tread on it ( exactly as the original tyre was made ) can be far better than some budget tyre that only just scrapes a BS number , not withstanding cheap import tyres

in the haulage industry , remanufactured tyres are the norm

however

on a ' performance ' vehicle is it a safety or budget choice, and would they provide tyres that fit our cars as remanufactured anyway

again , just my thoughts, as others have

BB

Old 04-15-2016, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jal1234
The tread rubber may be new, but how old is the rubber in the carcass that it was put on? Could be very old, and affected by ozone. I'm having to replace some tires now as I write this, with lots of tread left, because the rubber in the carcass is separating from the belts, age related.

You also don't know if the previous owner kept his tires inflated properly, which also affects the carcass.

Trucks do retreads, but they put a lot of miles on in a hurry, so the carcass isn't that old.
I accidentally bought a Re-mould from an Auction Site, when I thought I was buying a New one.

This was a Tyre that I bought for my Merc and it is lasting every bit as long as the other Three New Ones.

But as for putting one on a Jag, especially something like an XJS, I'm really not that sure I'd want to risk it.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brake buster
its strange

a remanufactured ABS unit is desirable because its cheap , a remanufactured gearbox, the same etc , all critical or safety items.....

a ' remould ' or remanufactured tyre is frowned upon , the stringent rules applied to remanufactured tyres and the quality control means they are ' as good as new ' and they also help the environment , a high quality carcass from a top manufacturer with a newly moulded tread on it ( exactly as the original tyre was made ) can be far better than some budget tyre that only just scrapes a BS number , not withstanding cheap import tyres

however

on a ' performance ' vehicle is it a safety or budget choice, and would they provide tyres that fit our cars as remanufactured anyway

BB
Hi BB

That would be a Tough decision to make, I've got a Re-mould on my Merc which I accidentally bought, when I thought I was getting a New One.

And its every bit as hard wearing, as the other Three New ones but the Merc feels like driving a Tractor compared to the XJS.

So on a high performance Car, it wouldn't be my first option.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jal1234

Good point well made, if I may say so.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
That is saving cash on the wrong spot. I am against remoulds, as rubber ages and you only contact the road via some small patches of rubber. My cars get new tires every 5 years...
Daim

I have to say that I agree.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by Brake buster
its strange

however

BB

That's a bad analogy. A remanned master cylinder is an old master cylinder with new seals and maybe internals if it were really necessary. Is the metal still the same? Yeah, but that isn't a wear item you are concerned with in master cylinders.

A remanned tire has new treads, but the sidewall is still old and dried out, so it isn't "as good as new."

If an ABS unit had the valves replaced, that is fine, they are new and now the unit is as good as new, the metal casing the modulator is made of isn't really going to wear, so it is fine that it is "partially old." This is not the case with tires, every bit of the rubber inside and out oxidizes and wears, new tread isn't the only reason for new tires.

As someone else said, tires can be had pretty cheap, so it isn't necessary. The stock tire size is 215, which is not an expensive tire. Decent tires can be had for less than $100 a piece, so whats the point in remans?

I do like reman tires for offroading, because good tires can cost $300 a piece, which sucks when they are bad for on pavement use. It's nice to get cheap offroad tires that have cores re-used from those $300 tires, where it isn't as big of a deal that they aren't perfect, because their max speed when they are in use is maybe 10mph. Yeah the sidewall matters a lot in offroading, but if I bust one im out $90 instead of $300.

On my daily driver that regularly goes over 60mph where new tires cost $80 a piece, I have no desire to put remoulds on my XJS.

This also works on big rig tires because the miles big rigs do, they run out of tread much quicker than a normal tire, so its not like the sidewall or interior is really oxidized yet.

Last edited by sidescrollin; 04-15-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:39 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Daim

I have to say that I agree.
I also hold the view that saving a bit of cash on items such tyres and brakes and suspension can often comprise safety, particularly on cars like XJS with 150mph potential.

Compared to my last vehicle which used to get through a set of four tyres costing £2,400 every 8000 miles even premium quality tyres for the XJS are relatively affordable

Old 04-15-2016, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Paul_59
I also hold the view that saving a bit of cash on items such tyres and brakes and suspension can often comprise safety, particularly on cars like XJS with 150mph potential.

Compared to my last vehicle which used to get through a set of four tyres costing £2,400 every 8000 miles even premium quality tyres for the XJS are relatively affordable
Hi Paul

Better to be Safe than Sorry on that kind of Car, so I guess New Tyres are really the only way to go.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Not an option here in Aus, it's illegal to use tyres with a lower speed rating than was supplied with the car. Your insurance will void in an accident.

Also how many de-laminated truck tyres do you see by the road side, I know between Sydney and Melbourne ( a trip I do every month) lots.

I would be looking at some of the tyres coming out of Asia, these are very cheap for what you get. It was only a few years ago that Kumho was at the cheap end of the market, now they have a name (in Australia at least) they are up there with Bridgestone in pricing.

The other thing I found was the OEM size 215 65 15 (in Aus) was hard to get in V rating and it turned out cheaper to replace wheels and tyres with ones more readily available.

orangeblossom (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 03:07 AM
Received 10,310 Likes on 6,820 Posts

Only in my wildest nightmares.

orangeblossom (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 11:18 PM
Eaa
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I didn't know retreads were even available for regular auto tires, never have seen them advertised.

I do know that they were, when I was still driving them, in common use on big trucks and especially their trailers (probably still are). In my personal experience, bought a semi tractor that came with 8 pretty recent, ie about full tread remaining, retreads on the drive axles, had 3 or 4 blowouts within 6 months or so. I replaced them after that with 8 new tires, no more problems.

The retreading companies back then claimed that their treads were no more prone to separating than new tires, and that was probably true under some circumstances, such as at low temps when testing them. I think the problems arose because the body of the tire already had 100,000+ miles (talking about truck tires), if it was on it's first recap, and who knows what abuse it had taken already or what it had run over in it's earlier lives. My theory was that if there was some damage to the belts they would rub as the tire flexed and build up heat, eventually causing the tire to fail (even worse on the drive axles imo as the torque of pulling the truck would cause even more heat, as opposed to just rolling like the trailer tires). Just my opinions, based only on my personal experience plus hearsay, not hard facts.

I do know that retreads weren't allowed on the steering axle of trucks or busses back then, so evidently the government also had some reservations about their reliability.

I wouldn't put them on anything I was driving all the time.

orangeblossom (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't use Re-Moulds either but I bought what I thought were 4 Brand New Tyres for my Merc and one of them turned out to be a Re-Mould (from an Auction Site)

But how did I know?

Well at first I didn't know but after a few weeks, while I was re-blacking the Tyres with 'Shoe Polish' Don't knock it till you've tried it Lol!

I noticed a bit of an edge bead round the Tyre, at which point I did more research and found that it was stamped with an 'e' which is apparently the approved mark for a Re-Mould.

Obviously I wasn't happy and felt that I'd been 'Stitched Up' but too much time had passed to send it back and for the sake of £35 it wasn't worth the hassle.

As for my XJS, well that's a different story! as I'm not prepared to Play Russian Roulette with a high performance Car.

So Two Years ago, 4 Brand New Lattice Alloys which I managed to pick up at a Bargain Price.

And 4 Brand New Pirelli Tyres to go on them £150 each! inc. New Valves, which incidentally, most garages/shops will fit free just for asking.

The ones I took off still have plenty of Tread, which I keep under the Kitchen Table 'Like you do'
but having bought the Brand New Rims, I felt they deserved Brand New Tyres which I got from a proper Tyre outlet.

See Photo of the Wheels and Tyres I took off:
Name:  IMG_3003_zpsvu6qweyu.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  283.6 KB

Old 04-17-2016, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, my thoughts are along Eaa''s. I've always referred to them as recaps. Once, quite popular. and quality ranged from "something less than poor" to quite good.

1. Ina but 1951, I worked at a "full service" gas station. The boss
latched on to a batch of "recaps" on consignment. Sold for two bucks mounted, plus tube if needed. Full warranty on any blow outs. Replaced with the same. They were "lousy". Rejected by Mexico for import there. Some even had "patched" carcasses. Young soldiers with limited incomes were most of ur customers. Sold a bunch. Most came off OK. No one hurt! Why????

Before that, I bought a pair of "decent" quality caps. No blow outs,
but soft rubber treads wore quickly....

Much later, a pair of "wide caps" for my pickup. A qualified tire guy
called them junk. Cap the wrong size for the carcass. Balance
impossible. Put them astern and wore them off.

Last I heard, truckers used caps on the rear axles, but new only on the front steering axle.

The freeways seem to always have a thrown cap or more. Passenger
car or truck. I suspect low inflation pressure plus heat caused most.

For me, no caps, other options available.

No insurance issues here for tire choices. It would defeat an unintended purpose.....

Carl

orangeblossom (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Yeah, my thoughts are along Eaa''s. I've always referred to them as recaps. Once, quite popular. and quality ranged from "something less than poor" to quite good.

1. Ina but 1951, I worked at a "full service" gas station. The boss
latched on to a batch of "recaps" on consignment. Sold for two bucks mounted, plus tube if needed. Full warranty on any blow outs. Replaced with the same. They were "lousy". Rejected by Mexico for import there. Some even had "patched" carcasses. Young soldiers with limited incomes were most of ur customers. Sold a bunch. Most came off OK. No one hurt! Why????

Before that, I bought a pair of "decent" quality caps. No blow outs,
but soft rubber treads wore quickly....

Much later, a pair of "wide caps" for my pickup. A qualified tire guy
called them junk. Cap the wrong size for the carcass. Balance
impossible. Put them astern and wore them off.

Last I heard, truckers used caps on the rear axles, but new only on the front steering axle.

The freeways seem to always have a thrown cap or more. Passenger
car or truck. I suspect low inflation pressure plus heat caused most.

For me, no caps, other options available.

No insurance issues here for tire choices. It would defeat an unintended purpose.....

Carl
I'm with you Carl, buy Cheap buy twice, at the end of the day its not worth it as I only do around 5000 miles a year in the XJS and the Merc is my daily driver and also a bit of a Workhorse, for carrying stuff around.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,089 Likes on 5,352 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
I'm with you Carl, buy Cheap buy twice, at the end of the day its not worth it as I only do around 5000 miles a year in the XJS and the Merc is my daily driver and also a bit of a Workhorse, for carrying stuff around.

Also, OB, there are pretty decent budget brand new tyres these days. I cannot afford Pirellis any more, so I have either bought top quality tyres such as Bridgestones on special offer (eg, over here, in the winter) or, as now, I have Kumhos all round. 80 quid a copy fitted; grip/wet performance just as good as the Pirellis, noise/ride not bad - not quite as good especially when cold, but the ride gets more noticeably more supple up as they warm up. So honestly, not a bad price for a new decent, V rated tyre.
Greg

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever considered fitting Re-mould Tyres to their XJS