XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

If She buys you one of these then you should Wife her up!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts
Default If She buys you one of these then you should Wife her up!

http://This is really my first attempt at uploading a Photo to the Forum.

As I have just purchased an Amazing piece of kit, that has solved all my problems in one go!

One of which was possibly caused by a leakage to earth, as after a few days of standing my battery would run down but not anymore!

I found this gadget on ebay for under £8 including delivery and just has to be one of the best things that I have ever bought. Its really that good!

It is called the Dis-car-nect and although the instructions are a little bit 'iffy' it doesn't take that long to work it out.

The thing that really threw me was when it arrived, it already had a bolt through the round Terminal, which gave me the impression that you have to clamp the battery lead to that. Which isn't the case!

Having taken this bolt out, you then Clamp the Gadget to the Battery Negative Pole, just as you would a normal battery Terminal.

Then Clamp your cars battery negative lead to the round pole that 'had' this bolt going through it.

If you want to include the fuse able link, then use the bolt that you took out of the round Terminal, as the Terminal on the fuse able link maybe a bit on the small side for a standard battery bolt.

But this is a minor detail you can easily work out.

So with or without the fuse able link depending on your choice, the next thing you do is to screw the thread of the Black knob in the hole.

Then look to the left where the 'boot'/'trunk' light is and when the Black knob is fully screwed down the boot/trunk light will come on.

Which is an indicator that your Battery is connected and you are ready to start your Car!

If you leave your Car in a Car Park or don't intend to use it for a while, just unscrew the Black knob about half a turn and then watch your boot/trunk light go out.

Which then means your Battery has been disconnected and as such shouldn't run down.

You can also take the Black knob off and put it in your pocket or hide it somewhere in the Car, thus turning it into an immobilizer.

And though of course it won't deter a very determined thief, they won't be expecting to encounter that and as such gives them one more hoop to jump through!

The purpose of the fuse able link, is to maintain your car alarm and all sorts of stuff like that.

But anyone attempting to Start Your Car with the Black knob unscrewed will then 'Blow the fuse' and so will not be able to start your car with just that link in place.

Just in case you were wondering, this isn't something I sell but a really useful piece of kit I want to share, with those like me who are plagued with Batteries running down.

As you can see I decided not to attach the fuse able link, as I have had problems with my Car Alarm going off!

Though really what I should have done and what I am going to do, is to connect the fuse able link and then just take the fuse out.
(they also include some spare fuses!)

If you do have a 'suspected' leakage to earth like I do, then you would have to take the fuse out of the fuse able link or else you might still run your battery down!

While you are looking at it, I may as well add that this is a 'Brilliant Battery' IMO for an XJS but you will have to make a new hold down clamp to go over the top, as it is a lot taller than the not so very good one that I threw away (XJS V12)

Please let me know what you think and did I do the Photo OK?http://http://

Attached Thumbnails If She buys you one of these then you should Wife her up!-xjsapril14001_zps3321727c.jpg   If She buys you one of these then you should Wife her up!-xjsapril14002_zps13e48928.jpg  

Last edited by orangeblossom; 04-20-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

She let you put your 'dirty old' car parts on her pastry sheet??!! And you lived long enough to write this up??! I have the deepest admiration for her restraint!

LOL!

I've heard of these things, OB, but never having had the need, I don't have one. Your photos do show exactly the application though, so anyone should be able to see what's going on.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

AHA, they are back.

I remember those well from the '60's when Renault, and Peugeot had them on the -ve terminal, and the knob was Green.

The days before cars had radios, or anything remotely linked to "memory", so simply screw it down and drive on.

Setting teh memory gets me every time, so all my Jags have a battery minder, and stay plugged into the mains when not in use. OK, more money in the first place, and power consumed to run the minder, but the X300 battery is 6 years old or more?? (it was in the car when I purchased it), so I am happy.

Also, my condolenses to the spouse, you really did get away with some serious misbehaviour with that place mat. I still have the scars from a similar venture a very long time ago.

All in all an EXCELLANT idea though.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
She let you put your 'dirty old' car parts on her pastry sheet??!! And you lived long enough to write this up??! I have the deepest admiration for her restraint!

LOL!

I've heard of these things, OB, but never having had the need, I don't have one. Your photos do show exactly the application though, so anyone should be able to see what's going on.
(';')
Hi Elinor

Try not to fall over laughing but I'm Single! (I wonder why!)

I don't make pastry on that thing, it just something I use to prevent me burning the table cloth and burning the house down!

I have had a few offers of marriage, you may be surprised to hear! but it always come down to choosing between them and my car.

Which from my own point of view is a bit of a no brainer, as I can be as shallow as a pond!

What you girls don't realize is that us Petrol Heads would rather spend money on our Cars than buying endless Cups of 'Skinny Latte'

Which believe it or not costs more money than Petrol!

But all is not lost as I have a long suffering girlfriend, who is just as obsessed with buying shoes as I am with buying cars!

So as you can see, We were just made for each other!

Old 04-20-2014, 08:50 PM

OOPS on my part.

What is single???????>

Old 04-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
AHA, they are back.

I remember those well from the '60's when Renault, and Peugeot had them on the -ve terminal, and the knob was Green.

The days before cars had radios, or anything remotely linked to "memory", so simply screw it down and drive on.

Setting teh memory gets me every time, so all my Jags have a battery minder, and stay plugged into the mains when not in use. OK, more money in the first place, and power consumed to run the minder, but the X300 battery is 6 years old or more?? (it was in the car when I purchased it), so I am happy.

Also, my condolenses to the spouse, you really did get away with some serious misbehaviour with that place mat. I still have the scars from a similar venture a very long time ago.

All in all an EXCELLANT idea though.
Hi Grant

At least I got the photos up, so one out of two isn't bad!

and my long suffering girlfriend has even got her own house! as She doesn't like sleeping in a bedroom full of Jaguar Spares!

Old 04-20-2014, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

OOPS on my part.

What is single???????>
Single=Happily Unmarried and intending to stay that way!

Old 04-20-2014, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Elinor

Try not to fall over laughing but I'm Single! (I wonder why!)

I don't make pastry on that thing, it just something I use to prevent me burning the table cloth and burning the house down!

I have had a few offers of marriage, you may be surprised to hear! but it always come down to choosing between them and my car.

Which from my own point of view is a bit of a no brainer, as I can be as shallow as a pond!

What you girls don't realize is that us Petrol Heads would rather spend money on our Cars than buying endless Cups of 'Skinny Latte'

Which believe it or not costs more money than Petrol!

But all is not lost as I have a long suffering girlfriend, who is just as obsessed with buying shoes as I am with buying cars!

So as you can see, We were just made for each other!
OB, you would be surprised what I understand about "Petrol Heads," which, on this side of the pond, we call Gear Heads! If I had been born a boy I would be one myself. As it is, I'm content with Car Chick, which has its own advantages that you Petrol/Gear Heads couldn't possibly understand.

Owners of Classic Jaguars have neither the patience nor time let alone the resources to spend money on such frivolities as shoes and "Skinny Latte" whatever that is. It's much more cost effective to bring home something useful, like a bale of polishing cloths or a gas/petrol card. Better yet, a gift certificate to one's favorite British Parts Outlet.

I am not at all surprised to know your cars come first (as they do for all Gear Heads whether they admit it or not) and so you're single; at least that's your story. It sounds like she likes it that way too, so indeed you were made for each other; an arrangement advantageous to all concerned.

I will await the Next Installment of the Life and Times of OrangeBlossom with keen anticipation.
(';')

orangeblossom (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member

OB, you would be surprised what I understand about "Petrol Heads," which, on this side of the pond, we call Gear Heads! If I had been born a boy I would be one myself. As it is, I'm content with Car Chick, which has its own advantages that you Petrol/Gear Heads couldn't possibly understand.

Owners of Classic Jaguars have neither the patience nor time let alone the resources to spend money on such frivolities as shoes and "Skinny Latte" whatever that is. It's much more cost effective to bring home something useful, like a bale of polishing cloths or a gas/petrol card. Better yet, a gift certificate to one's favorite British Parts Outlet.

I am not at all surprised to know your cars come first (as they do for all Gear Heads whether they admit it or not) and so you're single; at least that's your story. It sounds like she likes it that way too, so indeed you were made for each other; an arrangement advantageous to all concerned.

I will await the Next Installment of the Life and Times of OrangeBlossom with keen anticipation.
(';')
Hi Elinor

Have you got a Sister! (lol)

So what is "Skinny Latte" ?

To put it in a Nutshell, Its nothing more than a 'very' Expensive Cup of Coffee! which always uses skimmed milk instead of the normal stuff.

To put it in perspective, you can buy a great big Jar of Premium grade coffee for less than £5 that unless you are hooked on Caffeine (I'm a tea drinker myself) should last almost forever and make you endless cups!

Where one Cup of "Skinny Latte" (Which uses one spoonful of Coffee!) can cost (and you better sit down for this!) anything from £2-50! to £5-00!

That is pretty much normal in the UK

But wait there's more! as a lot of places try and 'sting' you £2-50 for a slice of Chocolate Cake to go with it!

Where you can buy a massive and much nicer Chocolate Gateaux for the same price!

So that's a hard earned Tenner that could have been spent on 'Gas'!

I'm open open handedly generous (at times!) but I hate to be ripped off, so £25 for a meal for Two in a very nice restaurant, seems a bit of a bargain when compared to that!

Coffee Shops are a really big deal that are trending in the UK and are always packed to the rafters with those with more money than sense!

Old 04-21-2014, 05:38 AM

I guess I am similarly blessed.

My wife (notching up 30 years now) has a PASSION for Jaguar, like no other I have known (there were a few a loooooooong time ago).

Both her V12's were maintained by HER. If she got "stuck", of course the apprentice got called. She knew when one was running on 11 and usually had it sorted within the hour. Mostly 6B spark plug on the PerHE (487000kms), and 3A on the HE, never did sort that ever.

She tolerates her current S Type, but seriously misses the V12's. The 2 S Types are currently SO reliable, so time will tell.

Shoes and handbags, HAHAHAHAHA, she is Filipino, do the maths.

To her credit, when I retired (2003), she agreed "that another V12 in the "shed" would be a top idea, coz then I will know exactly where you are at any given time". LUV the logic.

We had 8 Jaguars at that time.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Elinor

Have you got a Sister! (lol)

So what is "Skinny Latte" ?

To put it in a Nutshell, Its nothing more than a 'very' Expensive Cup of Coffee! which always uses skimmed milk instead of the normal stuff.

To put it in perspective, you can buy a great big Jar of Premium grade coffee for less than £5 that unless you are hooked on Caffeine (I'm a tea drinker myself) should last almost forever and make you endless cups!

Where one Cup of "Skinny Latte" (Which uses one spoonful of Coffee!) can cost (and you better sit down for this!) anything from £2-50! to £5-00!

That is pretty much normal in the UK

But wait there's more! as a lot of places try and 'sting' you £2-50 for a slice of Chocolate Cake to go with it!

Where you can buy a massive and much nicer Chocolate Gateaux for the same price!

So that's a hard earned Tenner that could have been spent on 'Gas'!

I'm open open handedly generous (at times!) but I hate to be ripped off, so £25 for a meal for Two in a very nice restaurant, seems a bit of a bargain when compared to that!

Coffee Shops are a really big deal that are trending in the UK and are always packed to the rafters with those with more money than sense!

LOL!! No sister, OB, only 4 brothers. (I never had trouble with guys 'bothering' me in school). I suppose that's one reason I like cars, familial immersion from a tender age.

Drive-In coffee shops have sprouted up like mushrooms after a rain in town. In some intersections there's one on each corner; the line of cars waiting for their 'fix' trailing way out into the street, blocking traffic in at least one lane for each shop. At times there is complete and total grid lock in these intersections especially in the mornings, right at morning rush. The city has actually enacted a moratorium on more of these shops because of bitter complaints from neighboring businesses and emergency workers!

Everyone knows coffee there is expensive, one can get more than a gallon of gasoline, which lasts lots longer and is almost as addictive, for what people shell out for their morning (or afternoon) fix. I would *Much* rather put that money into my tank!
(';')

Old 04-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

LOL!! No sister, OB, only 4 brothers. (I never had trouble with guys 'bothering' me in school). I suppose that's one reason I like cars, familial immersion from a tender age.

Drive-In coffee shops have sprouted up like mushrooms after a rain in town. In some intersections there's one on each corner; the line of cars waiting for their 'fix' trailing way out into the street, blocking traffic in at least one lane for each shop. At times there is complete and total grid lock in these intersections especially in the mornings, right at morning rush. The city has actually enacted a moratorium on more of these shops because of bitter complaints from neighboring businesses and emergency workers!

Everyone knows coffee there is expensive, one can get more than a gallon of gasoline, which lasts lots longer and is almost as addictive, for what people shell out for their morning (or afternoon) fix. I would *Much* rather put that money into my tank!
(';')
Hi Elinor

A longer reply to follow but if you look at other my other post regarding my 'droopy' exhaust, I should hide behind the Sofa and peak through your fingers!

Any House proud viewers had better look away now, you have been warned!

Old 04-21-2014, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

I guess I am similarly blessed.

My wife (notching up 30 years now) has a PASSION for Jaguar, like no other I have known (there were a few a loooooooong time ago).

Both her V12's were maintained by HER. If she got "stuck", of course the apprentice got called. She knew when one was running on 11 and usually had it sorted within the hour. Mostly 6B spark plug on the PerHE (487000kms), and 3A on the HE, never did sort that ever.

She tolerates her current S Type, but seriously misses the V12's. The 2 S Types are currently SO reliable, so time will tell.

Shoes and handbags, HAHAHAHAHA, she is Filipino, do the maths.

To her credit, when I retired (2003), she agreed "that another V12 in the "shed" would be a top idea, coz then I will know exactly where you are at any given time". LUV the logic.

We had 8 Jaguars at that time.
Hi Grant

That's Amazing! I thought I overdosed on Jags but even I am beginning to think that you are in need of some Counseling!

There is plenty of help out there for the likes of you and I but unfortunately I'm past caring, and as such I don't want to be Saved!

I am trying to restrain myself from buying another one, as you know what they say 'There are no pockets in Shrouds!'

It sounds like you married a really great girl, so you are very lucky as mine would never ever dream of picking up a 'spanner' in case she breaks one of her nails!

Where do I find these people!, you just can't get the Staff, I'll have to be more Selective in the future.

WANTED

Girl with XJS V12 or Similar

Mechanical ability much more important than looks and any personality would be considered a bonus!

Please send on full details of your Jaguar and any spare parts that you may have in your garage.

Must be willing to get dirty and not just in the bedroom!

Old 04-21-2014, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

(';')
Ok so I'm burning the 'Midnight Oil' I just love writing that much and if nothing else it helps to give my 'ditzy' brain such as it is a Workout!

So lets get straight to it and hope you can help to answer one of my life's unanswered questions.

'Is it true it never rains in California?'

As I find it hard to imagine a place where Cars don't rust!

This is one of the biggest problems here in the UK as you can have Summer, Winter and Spring, all on the same day!

I've been very lucky with '50 Shades' my Grey XJS V12 as the previous owner looked after her and kept her in the garage but Classic Jags rust quicker, than almost any other Car I know!

And it only takes a shower of rain to watch the magic happen, so to speak!

A guy who lives in a Town near me has got an Imported 'e' type from the US. which looks so immaculate its almost Showroom fresh.

Is it much of a problem to convert them to right hand drive? as if not I might do a rain check on the Mustang!

Having put the Exhaust System on for the umteenth time, I noticed that the bushes on the Anti Roll Bar were worn and as such would fail the MOT

As I have never done this before, would I have to take the 'Roll Bar' off to do the job, or should I just undo the nuts and lever it out of the way?

These problems that keep cropping up are driving me to drink, although I doubt if it will be one of those very expensive 'Skinny Latte's'

Old 04-21-2014, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Ok so I'm burning the 'Midnight Oil' I just love writing that much and if nothing else it helps to give my 'ditzy' brain such as it is a Workout!

So lets get straight to it and hope you can help to answer one of my life's unanswered questions.

'Is it true it never rains in California?'

As I find it hard to imagine a place where Cars don't rust!

This is one of the biggest problems here in the UK as you can have Summer, Winter and Spring, all on the same day!

I've been very lucky with '50 Shades' my Grey XJS V12 as the previous owner looked after her and kept her in the garage but Classic Jags rust quicker, than almost any other Car I know!

And it only takes a shower of rain to watch the magic happen, so to speak!

A guy who lives in a Town near me has got an Imported 'e' type from the US. which looks so immaculate its almost Showroom fresh.

Is it much of a problem to convert them to right hand drive? as if not I might do a rain check on the Mustang!

Having put the Exhaust System on for the umteenth time, I noticed that the bushes on the Anti Roll Bar were worn and as such would fail the MOT

As I have never done this before, would I have to take the 'Roll Bar' off to do the job, or should I just undo the nuts and lever it out of the way?

These problems that keep cropping up are driving me to drink, although I doubt if it will be one of those very expensive 'Skinny Latte's'

Good Morning, OB.
No, it is NOT true that it never rains in California, in fact it's raining right this moment, even in this drought year (50% normal rain). However, it has NOT rained in large parts Southern California, specifically the San Joaquin Valley. In fact, the drought maps have nearly half the state colored a dark maroon; beyond critical drought into the Exceptional range. However, this is unusual.

The only place I know for sure that cars probably won't rust is Nevada. It's mostly a desert state with very low humidity most of the time, not a lot of snow especially in the cities so no salt on the roads even in Winter.

Cars definitely rust in California, except maybe for Death Valley. My car has rust, in fact, ALL my cars have rust. It's merely a matter of degree.

I had a 1969 Datsun Roadster for several years, that had lived most of its life in Arizona and had Very Little rust, but it did have some. After it came to live with me it became a Fair Weather car and never ventured out of the shed if there was a cloud in the sky. (I should put photos of that in my garage)

My Jaguar has LOTS of rust, but isn't as bad as some I've seen. During this past Winter, every time I removed something for repair and encountered structural metal there was at least a light coating of rust. I have some stuff called Corrosion Block, intended for marine applications, which I have sprayed on all those surfaces. I've used it for years and I like the results.

My Jaguar only has one bad blister, on the right rear fender flare. I treated that and it seems to have stopped growing. I've seen cars with the whole windshield surrounding frame blistered so badly that it's a wonder to me the glass doesn't fall out!

My car is another Fair Weather car that Never goes out in the rain, of if there is even a chance of rain that day.

You cheated on your exhaust system! You put it together with clamps! Mine is WELDED! My pipe hangs Way lower than yours did, so low in fact, I have to be REALLY careful not to drag coming out of the post office, or speed bumps in the gas station which are TINY! I have no more than 2 inches ground clearance before the cat drags. It's *Very* annoying!

I would think it's an Enormous task to convert a Mustang to RHD! Seeing how cars are built and designed that are intended for either one, they are DESIGNED to to be changed from on to the other (albeit in the factory), one only has to acquire the conversion parts I would think.

Mustang however, doesn't have conversion parts because it was never intended to Ever be RHD. If a guy had lots of time and an Obscene amount of cash he could probably customize a Mustang for RHD (You can do anything if you throw enough money at it). But if you've never seen it done, then it's probably not possible short of completely redesigning/rebuilding the car. Anyone who owns Classic Jaguars certainly doesn't have that kind of spare time or cash lying around.

The E-Type may be another matter. Built across the pond they should be able to be converted back again to Across-The-Pondness. You'll have to ask one of your local buddies about that one.

It's good you've discovered your sway bar bushings need attention before a MOT inspector disappointed you with that news. I have had sway bar bushings wear out, changing them on Mercan cars isn't that big a deal. One can change one at a time without removing the bar and it's no trouble. I, of course, can't say about British bushings, but if everything else about Jaguars of that era is any indication, you'll have to remove the cage in order to change them.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 04-21-2014 at 11:30 PM.
orangeblossom (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

Good Morning, OB.
No, it is NOT true that it never rains in California, in fact it's raining right this moment, even in this drought year (50% normal rain). However, it has NOT rained in large parts Southern California, specifically the San Joaquin Valley. In fact, the drought maps have nearly half the state colored a dark maroon; beyond critical drought into the Exceptional range. However, this is unusual.

The only place I know for sure that cars probably won't rust is Nevada. It's mostly a desert state with very low humidity most of the time, not a lot of snow especially in the cities so no salt on the roads even in Winter.

Cars definitely rust in California, except maybe for Death Valley. My car has rust, in fact, ALL my cars have rust. It's merely a matter of degree.

I had a 1969 Datsun Roadster for several years, that had lived most of its life in Arizona and had Very Little rust, but it did have some. After it came to live with me it became a Fair Weather car and never ventured out of the shed if there was a cloud in the sky. (I should put photos of that in my garage)

My Jaguar has LOTS of rust, but isn't as bad as some I've seen. During this past Winter, every time I removed something for repair and encountered structural metal there was at least a light coating of rust. I have some stuff called Corrosion Block, intended for marine applications, which I have sprayed on all those surfaces. I've used it for years and I like the results.

My Jaguar only has one bad blister, on the right rear fender flare. I treated that and it seems to have stopped growing. I've seen cars with the whole windshield surrounding frame blistered so badly that it's a wonder to me the glass doesn't fall out!

My car is another Fair Weather car that Never goes out in the rain, of if there is even a chance of rain that day.

You cheated on your exhaust system! You put it together with clamps! Mine is WELDED! My pipe hangs Way lower than yours did, so low in fact, I have to be REALLY careful not to drag coming out of the post office, or speed bumps in the gas station which are TINY! I have no more than 2 inches ground clearance before the cat drags. It's *Very* annoying!

I would think it's an Enormous task to convert a Mustang to RHD! Seeing how cars are built and designed that are intended for either one, they are DESIGNED to to be changed from on to the other (albeit in the factory), one only has to acquire the conversion parts I would think.

Mustang however, doesn't have conversion parts because it was never intended to Ever be RHD. If a guy had lots of time and an Obscene amount of cash he could probably customize a Mustang for RHD (You can do anything if you throw enough money at it). But if you've never seen it done, then it's probably not possible short of completely redesigning/rebuilding the car. Anyone who owns Classic Jaguars certainly doesn't have that kind of spare time or cash lying around.

The E-Type may be another matter. Built across the pond they should be able to be converted back again to Across-The-Pondness. You'll have to ask one of your local buddies about that one.

It's good you've discovered your sway bar bushings need attention before a MOT inspector disappointed you with that news. I have had sway bar bushings wear out, changing them on Mercan cars isn't that big a deal. One can change one at a time without removing the bar and it's no trouble. I, of course, can't say about British bushings, but if everything else about Jaguars of that era is any indication, you'll have to remove the cage in order to change them.
(';')
Hi Elinor

I've just found out what I did wrong! I listened to Albert Hammond's 'It never Rains in Southern California'!

I am exactly the same as yourself but have the 'Top Down' all the time with my XJS in the Garage and a Car Cover on.

If it rains or looks like rain, then I take the Merc and leave the Jag at home.

Though for reasons I don't understand, no matter what I do to the Merc, I just can't make her rust!

She's outside in all weathers and never covered up as She's my Workhorse!

Which I use like a pick up truck, even to Tow Trailers as well as pulling down the occasional Tree.

Amazingly she still looks like she came out of the Showroom but with 200,000 Miles on the Clock, the best car I have ever owned Full Stop!

While maybe the most reliable, there is no doubt at all, that one of the best looking cars ever made is the XJS but like all pretty girls, She can be a 'Diva' at times, requiring lots of constant love and attention.

So I went to the Jaguar Dealership to get a set of Anti Roll Bar Bushes and couldn't believe that they didn't have them in Stock as they are probably just the same as the ones on the XJ Series.

But its all about Part Numbers and if the Computer doesn't say Yes! then you are out of luck! So it looks like I will have to find an aftermarket supplier.

I sometimes wonder if I will ever get this Car on the road, except the only problem with me is that I never give up and failure isn't an option I want to consider.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Elinor

I've just found out what I did wrong! I listened to Albert Hammond's 'It never Rains in Southern California'!

I am exactly the same as yourself but have the 'Top Down' all the time with my XJS in the Garage and a Car Cover on.

If it rains or looks like rain, then I take the Merc and leave the Jag at home.

Though for reasons I don't understand, no matter what I do to the Merc, I just can't make her rust!

She's outside in all weathers and never covered up as She's my Workhorse!

Which I use like a pick up truck, even to Tow Trailers as well as pulling down the occasional Tree.

Amazingly she still looks like she came out of the Showroom but with 200,000 Miles on the Clock, the best car I have ever owned Full Stop!

While maybe the most reliable, there is no doubt at all, that one of the best looking cars ever made is the XJS but like all pretty girls, She can be a 'Diva' at times, requiring lots of constant love and attention.

So I went to the Jaguar Dealership to get a set of Anti Roll Bar Bushes and couldn't believe that they didn't have them in Stock as they are probably just the same as the ones on the XJ Series.

But its all about Part Numbers and if the Computer doesn't say Yes! then you are out of luck! So it looks like I will have to find an aftermarket supplier.

I sometimes wonder if I will ever get this Car on the road, except the only problem with me is that I never give up and failure isn't an option I want to consider.
Hi, OB,
When I had my Datsun Roadster it didn't even have a top. The original convertible top that came with the car disintegrated into its component atomic parts except for the bows which I kept 'just in case.' I actually considered having a top made for it once but they wanted the proverbial arm, leg, and the rights to my first born! Well, I couldn't give them all that, (no first born available and I was sort of attached to the others) so I passed on it. I never regretted that decision either because it looked WAAAYY better topless.

Mercedes don't rust because they're made with that fine German Solingen steel! They also probably treat all the parts with some magic elixir to stop rust before it gets started. You know the story, in Heaven the mechanics are German, the cooks are French, the cops are British, the lovers are Italian and it's all organized by the Swiss.

I agree, Jaguars, CLASSIC Jaguars, are the Prettiest cars on the road. The fact they're no longer built makes then all the more noticeable in the crowd of cookie-cutter look-alike sedans and SUVs on the road today (that you can't tell the brand until you see the badge), and more desirable to those of us who appreciate Fine automotive design.

You're also right, Jaguars, and other pretty girls, sometimes require attention. Sometimes that attention costs a bit more than expected. I'm constantly telling my husband that I never claimed to be a cheap date. He bought me the car, what did he expect?!

You also have to admit, Jaguars tell us where they hurt and when (in their own way of course), and if we pay good attention and fix the issue soon, they don't leave us stranded and embarrassed beside the road... at least mine hasn't.

Well, there was the time, early in our relationship, she blew a heater hose one evening after dark (it was probably 20 years old) and I arrive at my destination in a cloud of steam, and we had to hitch a ride home on the back of a transport, BUT THAT WASN'T HER FAULT! And she did get me to my destination!!

I'm haunting the wrecking yards currently for an XJ-S, for the rear sway bar and mounts. I'll probably have to be the first one on the carcass before the other vultures arrive, but that's the One thing I want to add to my Nix that was never available on Xj6. That will give me a suitable project for next Winter.

True Classic Jaguar Owners never give up. We may retreat and regroup sometimes until we know how to proceed (that's a matter of definition), but we don't give up. That would be defeat. Defeat = Failure. Failure is Bad!
(';')

orangeblossom (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Hi, OB,
When I had my Datsun Roadster it didn't even have a top. The original convertible top that came with the car disintegrated into its component atomic parts except for the bows which I kept 'just in case.' I actually considered having a top made for it once but they wanted the proverbial arm, leg, and the rights to my first born! Well, I couldn't give them all that, (no first born available and I was sort of attached to the others) so I passed on it. I never regretted that decision either because it looked WAAAYY better topless.

Mercedes don't rust because they're made with that fine German Solingen steel! They also probably treat all the parts with some magic elixir to stop rust before it gets started. You know the story, in Heaven the mechanics are German, the cooks are French, the cops are British, the lovers are Italian and it's all organized by the Swiss.

I agree, Jaguars, CLASSIC Jaguars, are the Prettiest cars on the road. The fact they're no longer built makes then all the more noticeable in the crowd of cookie-cutter look-alike sedans and SUVs on the road today (that you can't tell the brand until you see the badge), and more desirable to those of us who appreciate Fine automotive design.

You're also right, Jaguars, and other pretty girls, sometimes require attention. Sometimes that attention costs a bit more than expected. I'm constantly telling my husband that I never claimed to be a cheap date. He bought me the car, what did he expect?!

You also have to admit, Jaguars tell us where they hurt and when (in their own way of course), and if we pay good attention and fix the issue soon, they don't leave us stranded and embarrassed beside the road... at least mine hasn't.

Well, there was the time, early in our relationship, she blew a heater hose one evening after dark (it was probably 20 years old) and I arrive at my destination in a cloud of steam, and we had to hitch a ride home on the back of a transport, BUT THAT WASN'T HER FAULT! And she did get me to my destination!!

I'm haunting the wrecking yards currently for an XJ-S, for the rear sway bar and mounts. I'll probably have to be the first one on the carcass before the other vultures arrive, but that's the One thing I want to add to my Nix that was never available on Xj6. That will give me a suitable project for next Winter.

True Classic Jaguar Owners never give up. We may retreat and regroup sometimes until we know how to proceed (that's a matter of definition), but we don't give up. That would be defeat. Defeat = Failure. Failure is Bad!
(';')
I've been under the XJS again, as the blinking Exhaust is still out of alignment and I don't want it hitting the drive shaft at 70mph

But its been a very pleasant day, the Sun had got his hat on and I've been reloading my MP3 with some really great Tracks (not installed the new Stereo yet, I might put it in the Merc)

And think my long suffering Neighbors now know all the words to 'Roar' every bit as well as Katy Perry!

I am very, very tempted to take up your suggestion of 'Freeing up my Car lift' which I have thought about doing many times! but the problem being if I did then it could create a whole new set of problems.

As for Starters it would be a problem to move her out of the way, as further back there is a tree that keeps shedding branches, after I accidentally set it on fire, by trying to copy a method of blowing up a flat Tire which I had seen on TV. on an old Ford Escort that I used to have before I went and turned it into a fireball!

I expect you heard of this, where you squirt some Petrol around the rim of a 'flat' and then throw in a lighted match, which instantly blows the Tire up. (They tend to use this method a lot in places like Iceland on their 4X4's)

The end result was the Car caught fire and the Petrol Tank (which was nearly half full!) exploded and then set fire to a 20ft Conifer Tree! Which just went up like a 'Roman Candle'

I think I was very lucky as the heat that was generated, only cracked one pane of glass in the Window of the lounge.

But it Certainly 'Freaked out the neighbors!' Which I found quite amusing (at the time!)

Enclosed is a Pic of my Car ramp, most of which (the heavy bit) is hidden under that Car, but I am going to need that Car on the Lifter when I do the Radiator Swap.

So it really is a question of knowing which way to jump! which is never very easy when you lead a very Chaotic life like mine.http://

Attached Thumbnails If She buys you one of these then you should Wife her up!-xjsapril14018_zps6ae10312.jpg  

Last edited by orangeblossom; 04-23-2014 at 08:25 PM.