XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

My Second XJS

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 06:42 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default My Second XJS

Hi all,

Very excited to share that I have acquired another XJS. It's a 1994 convertible. I found it on Craig's List one Saturday. By the next it was mine.

It was given to a San Diego body shop for a paint job, but the owner never returned to pick it up. After two years, the shop owner put it up for a Lien sale. I got it for $2000. I took it out yesterday after insurance/tag and I can not believe how good it runs. Even though it has a "Salvage" title I think it was a steal. It has the 6 cyl engine.

A few issues that require some attention is the convertible top isn't working along with the rear side windows. I assume a fuse or the like is out. The fuel gage/temp gage are showing. The interior needs to be cleaned up. I found a leak coming from one of the arms of the steering rack.

It has a back seat, but my intent is to put a cubby box there. I picked up the parts already. The interior is that saddle tan with the seat inserts a blackish color. The cubby box I found (from an 1988) is grey. I am going to find some black carpet and redo the box in black to match the rest. I'd love to get rid of the wall that separates the back seat area from where the top fold, but fear it might compromise the side to side structure.

Wish me well!!!

Tony in New Mexico

The following 4 users liked this post by dtony:
Forcedair1 (03-17-2016), Jonathan-W (03-17-2016), orangeblossom (03-21-2016), Sarc (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Congratulations on ur purchase, now some pictures ..
I can only dream of such prices, there is nothing even close here, not even if I pay five times that amount.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by dtony
Hi all,

Very excited to share that I have acquired another XJS. It's a 1994 convertible. I found it on Craig's List one Saturday. By the next it was mine.

It was given to a San Diego body shop for a paint job, but the owner never returned to pick it up. After two years, the shop owner put it up for a Lien sale. I got it for $2000. I took it out yesterday after insurance/tag and I can not believe how good it runs. Even though it has a "Salvage" title I think it was a steal. It has the 6 cyl engine.

A few issues that require some attention is the convertible top isn't working along with the rear side windows. I assume a fuse or the like is out. The fuel gage/temp gage are showing. The interior needs to be cleaned up. I found a leak coming from one of the arms of the steering rack.

It has a back seat, but my intent is to put a cubby box there. I picked up the parts already. The interior is that saddle tan with the seat inserts a blackish color. The cubby box I found (from an 1988) is grey. I am going to find some black carpet and redo the box in black to match the rest. I'd love to get rid of the wall that separates the back seat area from where the top fold, but fear it might compromise the side to side structure.

Wish me well!!!

Tony in New Mexico
Congrats, Tony, on what appears to be a great (steal) buy. I own a '94 convert myself and, funny that you mentioned it, I've always been interested in having the interior trunk in there instead of that useless seat. Did they have the box already out or did you have to remove it from the donor car yourself? I ask because removing it yourself sure helps to learn how it's fastened to the car and what the adjacent walls look like, plus what mods you may be able to afford to implement with your own install.

I do know that, up to 1993, the cars had the cubby box and a larger rear window. From '94 and up they have the rear seat and a smaller rear window. In looking at pictures of both versions back there I can see that the area's design is different between the two versions. So, since they were forced to redesign the rear window (along with the top itself) it's obvious that this was necessary because of the way the top folds and unfolds and the room available for this to happen when they introduced the seat. The good thing is that you already have the smaller window so you appear to be going in the right direction for this change. Needless to say, I'll be highly interested in seeing how your project develops, since you have already acquired the item.

Check the relevant fuses and the top's fluid level, if you haven't, yet.

BTW, was the shop already done with the paint job and the $2K you paid for it also included the paint?

Congrats again and good luck in bringing your new kitty up to speed. I suppose that you're going to clean it up a little before you share some pics, huh, but I'd like to see some, myself.

Cheers,

Old 03-19-2016, 08:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi all,

Wish me well!!!

Tony in New Mexico
When trying to open the top put handbrake on gear shift in Park
this may help

Old 03-19-2016, 09:59 PM

Hi all,

I am so thrilled to report that I 94 XJS out for a longer run around the city today. OMG it runs great!!!! I can't believe what a great car. No over heating, starts right up, almost everything works (AC and speed control included), and it glides down the road at 75 like a fighter jet. The only downer is a small leak coming from the header tank. A temp patch of JB weld fixes that until I replacement arrives.
I have even coined a new phrase that only we in the exclusive club of XJS owners can identify with. That is Jagasm.

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (03-23-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 11:22 PM
Received 78 Likes on 23 Posts

beautiful car. just registered on the forum to get some info. I'm looking at a local '95' in what is described as 'excellent condition' with 91000 miles. I have not seen the car in person yet. what are some things that I should be concerned about with this car. I have a Mercedes 1988 560sl that I have done a lot of repairs to, primarily mechanical and was wondering if mechanical issues are inherent to this car as well.
thanks.
barnie

Old 03-21-2016, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Never seen an XJS with 2 tone interior. No doubt the historians will chime in and correct me.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member

That is a beautiful kitty and I'm glad to hear that you love how "it glides down the road at 75 like a fighter jet"; yes that's the way it feels once you get it going, it's a beautiful "straight line" feel.

I believe that I have previously seen 2-color seats, but with dark green leather instead, however, I strongly suspect that the owner needed to put new leather and at that point he just decided to go with two colors. Now that I think of it, I had new leather installed on both of my front seats, yet it just didn't occur to me to try a combo. It actually does bring up the interior and some combos can be really striking, like some XK's that I've seen with stock blue leather highlights that look awesome on that car.

Last, but not least... be careful with long drives because they could induce multiple Jagasms and you may wind up somewhere off the road upside down... LOL

Cheers,

Old 03-21-2016, 04:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,749 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Hi all,

Wish me well!!!

Tony in New Mexico
Hi Tony

While I don't want to speak too soon, it looks to me like you may have acquired one of the rarest XJS's ever produced!

Being the 'XJS Insignia model' with only 64 produced World Wide!

When Jaguar closed the Factory down where the Daimler DS 420 was produced, in 1992 they had a number of Craftsmen kicking their heels, at which point they decided to create the 'Insignia Department' where Customers could order their very own Custom trimmed XJS.

In the form of Special Paint Jobs and Interiors trimmed in any Colours they wanted, so its my guess and its only a guess you could have one of these.

Have you noticed anything else, non standard about your Car?

Does it say 'Insignia' on any paperwork?

Last edited by orangeblossom; 03-21-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Wow, what a beauty!!!

A real score at two grand, even after adding the shipping fee.

Got the top down, I see. Nanny state intrerlocks. Can't raise or drop the top while driving!!!!

Old tech convertibles managed? Are folks getting dumber?

Carl

Old 03-21-2016, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Tony

While I don't want to speak too soon, it looks to me like you may have acquired one of the rarest XJS's ever produced!

Being the 'XJS Insignia model' with only 64 produced World Wide!

When Jaguar closed the Factory down, they had a number of Craftsmen kicking their heels, at which point they decided to offer 'The Special Vehicles Operations Package' so they could give the Customer exactly what they wanted.

In the form of Special Paint Jobs and Interiors in any Colours they wanted, so its my guess and its only a guess you could have one of these.

Have you noticed anything else, non standard about your Car?

Does it say 'Insignia' on any paperwork?
But if this, as you say, took place when Jaguar close the factory down, how could it include cars that were built and sold three years earlier, like this 1994?

Cheers,

Old 03-21-2016, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
But if this, as you say, took place when Jaguar close the factory down, how could it include cars that were built and sold three years earlier, like this 1994?

Cheers,
My mistake see edit, thanks for pointing that out.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

As I mentioned above, it seems like Jaguar did produce some XK's with 2-color combo leather that look pretty nice. I'm attaching some examples below.

I also see some XJS examples (far fewer) with multi-color leather upholstery which I suspect are after market jobs; also attached below.

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails My Second XJS-1st-gen-xkr.jpg   My Second XJS-2012-jaguar-xkr.jpg   My Second XJS-2007-xkr2.jpg   My Second XJS-1997-xk8.jpg   My Second XJS-2012-jaguar-xkrsc.jpg  

My Second XJS-jaguar-xjs-rwd.jpg   My Second XJS-member-barefoots-xjs-3.6.jpg   My Second XJS-lister-xjs-kwe-built.jpg  
paulyling (03-23-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 10:46 PM

I did a little research and other than the odd colored seats I don't see anything that indicates a "Insignia" label. I have included more pics and one with the VIN so if someone has a listing, please let me know.

Tony

orangeblossom (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Tony

Great Car and great photos! but from an aesthetical point of view would have looked even better with the 'Tonneau Cover' on.

I've got one of these and putting it on can be a real PIA, although I've found it easier in one of my earlier Cars.

You could still have an 'Insignia' Car, as that 'Two Tone' upholstery looks a bit 'Special Order' which may not have been available, pre 'Insignia'

Hopefully PTJS will chip and able to throw a bit more light on this.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:27 AM

Hi all,

The convertible top seems to fall just a little short (1/4 inch) of proper connections spot. I have adjusted the bolts that are right behind the rear seat and that helped, but still just not quite there yet. Anyone have an idea what else I can adjust?

Tony